Counterstrike / Team Fortress 2 Vs Tribes 2

edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Well, I've been playing Tribes 2 for a while now since 2005, so 4 years. On the Miami Vehicle Servers of course back then, I will a little late picking up the game. The game is good for its teamplay, strategy, weapons and of course, the jetpack. The steep learning curve made it even more fun, as you could spend hours on the game and still be terrible. I'm even below average today.

A lot of my friends play shooters like CS and team fortress. It seems very very popular among the PC shooting community, having communities of like.... 10x or more so greater then the tribes community back in 2005-6?

Tribes 2 players say those games are a pile of filth that nobody should play. As not have played them myself I don't know. But going on public opinion, the learning curve is supposed to be too simple and the lack of teamwork / skill involved puts tribes 2 players off it.

However, with those games the basic learning curve may have been a gem of those. The fact that a player could jump into it straight away as an excellent generic shooting game (correct me if I'm wrong) means that it attracted a huge community of PC gamers.

But with Tribes 2? I'm not sure what happened as if this game is better then those that I have mentioned, then I am not sure why it doesn't have an equal or even greater community of players but not only this everyone in the PC community has a rough idea of what TF2 and CS is but not tribes 2. Why is this?

And also, with Sierra and Dynamix, why did they give up on such a great game if it has an addicting and perfect concept?

Also why are the rip-offs tribes 2 (Correct me if I'm wrong) like Battlefield 2 and Team Fortress 2 more popular then Tribes 2 if those games don't have such a perfect formula like Tribes 2 had.

Remember that all of this is listening to other comments, CS / TF2 may have more interesting gameplay or strategy work then Tribes 2 or may be better, according to some people.

Feel free to discuss what I said / your own opinions.

Comments

• As has been said before, those games are much easier to pick up and play. Close quarters spray n' pray tactics and bunny hopping are all you needed for C-Strike and Team Fortress to just PLAY the game.

Try to spray n' pray in Tribes and you will not get a single kill ever. The game is just tougher to pick up... period.
  • That's not exactly how it went down, but your heart is in the right place.
  • Sierra fired all of Dynamix after Vivendi bought Sierra, because Sierra decided to use Dynamix as the scapegoat for all of Sierra's problems since Dynamix was the only one who'd released a real game that year. Long after that, some Tribes fans who still worked for Sierra convinced Sierra to produce another Tribes game (T:V). Unfortunately, everyone involved with that idea was just as clueless about what Tribes should be as Dave Georgeson, so T:V failed.

PS. Who needs pronouns?
  • T2 is alot better then TF2 I know for sure.
    I bought the Orange Box(Which comes with TF2 for Xbox 360, also comes with 4 other games) and joined into a TF2 game right away. Played TF2 for about 2 hrs and couldn't understand why some T2 players started playing that. Came to the computer and started playing Tribes 2. I've never played CS or CS:S but I hear there good.
    Advice: Stick to Tribes2.
  • well I have played all those games and by far T2 is the best and the hardest to play but the most fun.TF2 was ok and fun to play but no depth at all to it.CS just sucks balls if you think some of us can be assholes just play some CS for awhile.However CS does have some fun mods for it but still they dont compare to T2.
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry for the novel guys but this topic always pulls at my Tribal heartstrings.

Most FPS games other then Tribes involve a common familiar mode of movement. You have your basic run, strafe, walk and in some prone. This is what is familiar to the masses in terms of an FPS game. That's slowly changing thank god, but from what I see people gravitate toward the familiar.

You also have to consider the history of Tribes 1 from the beginning and how it evolved along with a lot of the other popular FPS games of the time like Quake or Half Life.

I use to be into Quake big time before Tribes 1 came out. I remember reading Tribes 1 reviews and what intrigued me was that it looked more like a larger war style FPS and had those open maps with building etc. It was so innovative I was hooked and this was prior to the whole skiing thing. The problem is that I could never get a lot of my Quake friends to play because they were just to set in their ways. Some of them kept thinking it was a mech game. Some of them didnt like it just because they thought the graphics were cheesy. If I could get one of them to play, they were never quite sure what to do. You have to remember back then there weren't a lot of large warfare style FPS games or anything like that. Tribes really was one of the first if not the first. Open maps, vehicles, jetpacks people were either blown away or couldn't step out of their boxed map DM deathmatch style of play. There was just too much to do. They just wanted to run around square maps bunny hopping and go twitch blast happy. (And you wonder why TF2 is so popular)

The other killer was Half Life. For some reason Tribes games are always released alongside some half life release. Tribes 1 came out at the same time as Half Life 1. Most people back then didn't buy PC games to play online so the single player game for Half Life just propelled that game. Tribes 1 was multiplayer only, so even though Tribes was this stellar innovative MP game it didnt garner the commercial following of Half-Life. its only natural that some mulitplayer game on Half-Life would grab a large audience and that was Counterstrike. If I could use an analogy, I'd say Quake and Half Life had a bigger commercial following like the Beatles or Rolling Stones, whereas Tribes was more underground like Led Zeppelin =P.

Today Tribes would fit in so well. Tribes 2 even more. The mulitplayer only thing isnt an issue. Most everyone has broadband internet. The people that argue the learning curve have a small point but hey doesn't every game have a learning curve? The people that laugh at jetpacks, what about games like damnation or prototype where you have guys flying around like superman?

The only thing that keeps Tribes from growing are old opinions and the fear of anyone willing to take on the commercial development of a new Tribes game because of its sordid development past. Dynamix closing down didn't help. Also its a classic example of a game that has been misunderstood by publishers and developer alike. Tweaked and changed and rebalanced blah blah blah. The release mistakes for both Tribes 2 and Tribes Vengeance are classic examples of that oversight. I'd almost say Legions is following suit, but I wont judge that game until it supposedly complete in form someday.
  • I seriously doubt if any other/newer game will ever match the current player count for cs1.6, even if cs1.6 is riddled with cheats and exploits... it's an relatively ancient game that is still thriving. But the real nail in t2's coffin in my opinion was hm2/exploits and wow. Whichever had greater effect upon t2. Maybe the bf series is suspect as well. It wasn't the loss of masters or any such nonsense, it was other games and the cheats. Then again, the "golden days" of t2 weren't so golden, most systems used by gamers to play t2 really weren't fast enough to keep stable fps, even now my e8500/8800gts system still sometimes drops down to 42fps or so in action, and this is at 10x7 res, 2xaa, 16xaf. An e8500 and a 8800gts was unheard of power, actually _unimagineable_ power when the card that t2 was more or less written for, the gf3, was brand spankin new. Can't wait for a system that will finally be able to play t2 at a steady fps in all cases.
  • CS is like windows. Its just what most gamers learn about in an FPS early on. A lot of these kids dont even realize it was originally a mod for Quake. It grew so large early on and rode the Half Life gravy train. Also it helps a lot when you have Valve being the behemoth supporting you. Imagine if Valve decided one day to make a Tribes game. It would probably become some big commercial success. Look what they did for Team Fortress.
  • Counter-Strike series are AWSSSOOOMEE .. but STEAM Fucked all up :)) aaa and TF2? pffff TFC is more awsome .... old but awsome :) too bad the game is dead man .."TFC" ,wellll how about Aliens vs Predators II hwo played the game before SIERRA killed the game ..? " like TRIBES 2 the sierra killed awsome games .... TRIBES 2 ,Aliens vs Predators 2 ,CS 1.5 -- TFC ,Half-Life, and many more ,,,, "Jesus".. if the NEXT TEAM killes this "last stand" of good games .. ym killing my self ,,,, SERIOUSLYYYYY :D:D:D

What?
  • some body is on a sugar high.