Geforce 7800 GT widescreen woes, missing resolutions

edited July 2009 in Support
Hello, I am trying to get T2 to play at 1680 x 1050, but that is not showing up on my list of resolutions in the video menu. I've tried changing the resolution in clientprefs.cs, but it did not work. I have a geforce 7800, so the card supports the resolution. Any suggestions?

Comments

• try adding the res to clientprefs, and then set clientprefs to read only?
  • no go, I'm afraid. :'(
  • Hello, I am trying to get T2 to play at 1680 x 1050, but that is not showing up on my list of resolutions in the video menu. I've tried changing the resolution in clientprefs.cs, but it did not work. I have a geforce 7800, so the card supports the resolution. Any suggestions?

Have you used Nvidia Control Panel software to create that custom resolution? I think you need to do that in order for Tribes 2 to recogzine it. Make sure not to exceed 75 hertz when making that resolution.

I guess that's a widescreen resolution. Be sure to change your field of vision according to your display: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Tribes_2 and http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14135.

Sami-FIN

Edit: I mean, I assume you have an LCD display. The refresh rate recommendation is for that. If you have a CRT, I think you should use 85 hertz.
  • edited July 2009
    Open the console (tilde) and type or paste the following:
    error(getResolutionList( OP_VideoDriverMenu.getText() ));

This should give you a single line of resolutions T2 is able to render with.

If it shows in the list, make sure you are not in windowed mode and that you are in 32BPP.
  • Open the console (tilde) and type or paste the following:

This should give you a single line of resolutions T2 is able to render with.

If it shows in the list, make sure you are not in windowed mode and that you are in 32BPP.

This probably has shown where the issue may lie. Here is the output of that command:
    "" display device not found!

• What renderer do you have selected in the top drop-down list; OpenGL, D3D or Glide?
  • OpenGL is selected, and it does not allow me to chose another option.
  • Ok, in this case I would simply try another driver for the 7800, an older one mebbe.
  • Do you perhaps have this setting set to 1?

$pref::Video::clipHigh = "0";
  • What renderer do you have selected in the top drop-down list; OpenGL, D3D or Glide?
    glide? what the hell are you thinking? 3dfx died a year before the game came out
  • I got exactly the same problem. Today I bought the samsung syncmaster p2370 monitor which has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. I can't choose that resolution in Tribes 2 though, the highest resolution I can choose is 1280 x 1024.
    I have the GeForce 8600 GTS.

The same resolutions as in the settings menu show up in the line when typing that code in the console.
    $pref::Video::clipHigh is set to "0"
    I have OpenGL selected, can't change the renderer as well.

Changing the ClientPrefs.cs file didn't help anything. After changing ClientPrefs.cs it automatically loads the 1280 720 resolution when I open the game.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes that someone has found a solution. I am experiencing the same problem, but I believe that I have more information. My native resolution is 1440x900 for my monitor, and when I fire up the game in solo/lan play that option appears and loads fine. But when I run it in online mode it reverts to 1280x960, and the only higher option is 1280x1024. I try to edit the setting in the clientprefs.cs file but it always reverts back to 1280x960.

Why does it correctly identify my available resolutions in offline mode but not online mode?

EDIT: I think I've found the problem. If I load Tribes2.exe with the '-online' parameter, I am able to select my 1440x900 resolution. When I was experiencing issues I was using the default shortcut in my start menu, which is actually using the SierraUp.exe file, not the Tribes2.exe file. It appears that whatever the replacement updater is doing is not loading Tribes2 correctly.

My next question would be, do I even need to use SierraUp.exe, or can I just continue using the '-online' option with the Tribes2.exe file?
  • The SierraUp.exe file simply initiates Tribes2.exe with the -online parameter. It's for backwards compatibility with shortcuts generated by the installers.
  • The SierraUp.exe file simply initiates Tribes2.exe with the -online parameter. It's for backwards compatibility with shortcuts generated by the installers.

Makes sense. So this is probably a dumb question, but was it mentioned somewhere that a custom shortcut should be made to avoid this problem. If not this should probably be added to the FAQ or something.