Jumpy images and ping??

Hi guys...anybody else experiencing VERY jumpy ping and screen? I tried connecting to other servers and even creating one myself with the same results. My internet is fine because I play GW as well. The ping was low (usually between 25-50) but the numbers were bouncing like crazy and so was my view.

I am still using direct x 9.0c but with a much more sophiscated video card that when I played T2 a couple years ago.

Comments

• Do you experience this on more than one server?
  • This may possibly be caused by the fact that you're running a CPU with more than 1 core. Older games hate this. What you have to do is when you start up the game, alt-tab out and bring up the Task Manager and go to Processes and find the tribes2.exe process and right-click on it, go to Set Affinity and uncheck all but Core 0 affinities.
  • If it is a fresh install, you might want to check the settings, it appears that a default install goes with a net speed of 56k , just bump that to a t1 / lan via the ingame settings and you will be fine. (assuming this is what is causing your problems)

Good luck, hope it helps.
  • If it is a fresh install, you might want to check the settings, it appears the a default install goes with a net speed of 56k , just bump that to a t1 / lan via the ingame settings and you will be fine. (assuming this is what is causing your problems)

Good luck, hope it helps.

If memory serves me correctly, this was only affective for File Size of recordings?

However, give it a try anyways! I could be wrong and it does more for playing on heavier computers.
  • I was having the same problems as him i belive, the players jetting around would go in strage motions kind of like they are getting stuck in midair, once i changed the setting on my client

I made a sample video of what playing the game on a lanned dedicated server looks like with the client set to 56k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Gmo1SoFbk
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will try those when I get home tonight. From what I am gathering I am running a dual core 5600 Athlon so that is more than likely the problem.
  • UPDATE: If you get a similiar problem it was indeed the dual core processor that was affecting the game. Just follow the suggestions in this post to fix problem. Just a note it also fixed the server display problem as well.
  • Setting affinity and even isolating one core exclusively for T2 did not changed anything. Anybody got another idea?
  • Setting affinity and even isolating one core exclusively for T2 did not changed anything. Anybody got another idea?

Have you tried going into settings and changing the network settings from the default 56k to t1?
  • I have found a setting in some video card driver options to often be the cause of stutter in games. That option is called "threaded optimisation" in nvidia cards, dunno what they call it for ati, but ati has the same option nonetheless. Play with this disabled and see if it helps you, it makes for much better gameplay in my system.
  • Have you tried going into settings and changing the network settings from the default 56k to t1?
    I did it in a first place. Then I tried to make it better so I went to AMD site and downloaded new drivers for dual core procesors... now I cannot see server list and setting affinity does not help anymore.
  • I fixed the stutter issue on my servers by setting setPerfCounterEnable(0);

I put this in \base\autoexec.cs.