Server detects error and account is not created

I get this error when clicking "Finish." I'm using Windows 7, installed clean, patched with the Tribes next multiplayer patch.

So - basic gsi.exe install (do you need the outdated patch or not?)

Multiplayer patch installed. I'm using 512 RSA, only alpha characters in my account name. I've seen others post about this without a real explanation as to what's causing the problem

Comments

• Can you be more specific on what kind of error message you got?
  • Ha. I'm reinstalling Windows 7 right now BUT ... the message was something *like* the server detected an error in the request and [here it gets fuzzy] we aint gonna make that account, yo. The last part is kind of ad-libbed. I've tried with 512, 768, 1024 RSA keys.

On another machine, I tried 512, got this error, then tried 768 and it worked. No big difference between the two installations other than hardware. I'm going to turn firewalls off and see if that's the culprit.
  • You will need to be running the RC2 or newer version of the TN patch to create accounts. If you're getting this error message running the latest version of the TN patch, for some fluke of a reason, your client produced an invalid key when generating your account.

These invalid keys are tested for by the account server before it authorizes the creation of the account. Not doing so produces accounts that can't actually be used, which is why all of the checks are in place.

It's pretty rare for this to happen, so, just try again if you run into the same issue.