Insane Artifacts with Open GL and Terrible Direct X performance - FIXED!

edited November 2009 in Support
Hello everyone, I'm really excited to get back into Tribes 2 after so many years, so I have gone through many lengths to get Tribes 2 to run via bootcamp with XP on my macbook pro.

My problem:
Anything graphics based has a rediculous amount of artifacts when I use Open Gl. We're talking giant colored triangular shapes stretching across the screen and moving around all crazy like.

I tried to run it with Direct X instead, which fixes the above problem, however the frame rate whenever I am outside is about 10fps. However, inside I can get a steady 30-40.

I have tried so many things to fix this including reinstalling Tribes countless times, installing new graphics drivers and even reinstalling windows. At one point I had Tribes working great. At that point Open GL worked flawlessly and Direct X caused 2D artifacts (not like the 3D artifacts I am getting now). However soon after having that perfectly working system I started getting Unhandled Exceptions at the server list that I couldn't get rid of (this is why I had to reinstall everything, which brought back the Open GL problem).

If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem please help me! Tribes is pretty much not playable right now.
If it helps my specs are:
1st Gen Macbook Pro Core Duo 1.83Ghz
2GB Ram
300GB HD
Radeon x1600 128mb

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Hello everyone, I'm really excited to get back into Tribes 2 after so many years, so I have gone through many lengths to get Tribes 2 to run via bootcamp with XP on my macbook pro.

My problem:
    Anything graphics based has a rediculous amount of artifacts when I use Open Gl. We're talking giant colored triangular shapes stretching across the screen and moving around all crazy like.

I tried to run it with Direct X instead, which fixes the above problem, however the frame rate whenever I am outside is about 10fps. However, inside I can get a steady 30-40.

I have tried so many things to fix this including reinstalling Tribes countless times, installing new graphics drivers and even reinstalling windows. At one point I had Tribes working great. At that point Open GL worked flawlessly and Direct X caused 2D artifacts (not like the 3D artifacts I am getting now). However soon after having that perfectly working system I started getting Unhandled Exceptions at the server list that I couldn't get rid of (this is why I had to reinstall everything, which brought back the Open GL problem).

If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem please help me! Tribes is pretty much not playable right now.
    If it helps my specs are:
    1st Gen Macbook Pro Core Duo 1.83Ghz
    2GB Ram
    300GB HD
    Radeon x1600 128mb

Thanks everyone!
    There was a UE issue at the server list yesterday because of DNS issues. It's fixed now.

As for your other problem, have you tried updating your drivers?
  • Damn, I wish I knew there was a widespread issue yesterday. I probably wouldn't be in this mess.

I'm still not sure why I finally got it to work yesterday. Some variable fixes this but I have no idea what.

Yes, I have the latest drivers from apple. I have also tried the Omega ATI graphics driver but that didn't help at all.
  • I had the same problem with the Radeon X1400M, which is of the same series as the X1600M in your MacBook. I ended up using MobilityDotNET 4 to modify the desktop Catalyst drivers.

I'm currently using driver package 8.593.100.1-090427a-080420C-ATI, which indicates the OpenGL driver version is 6.14.10.8543, but I've applied MobilityDotNET to earlier driver versions with similarly good results.
  • If your PC has dual core-processor here is the solution:
    Run Task Manager, Prosses, look for Tribes2.exe.
    Right click on it, click on Set Affinity and turn one CPU off. Run tribes2 and try if it works.
  • I had the same problem with the Radeon X1400M, which is of the same series as the X1600M in your MacBook. I ended up using MobilityDotNET 4 to modify the desktop Catalyst drivers.

I'm currently using driver package 8.593.100.1-090427a-080420C-ATI, which indicates the OpenGL driver version is 6.14.10.8543, but I've applied MobilityDotNET to earlier driver versions with similarly good results.

THIS WORKED! Thank-you so much! I found the install process a little hap-hazard. After a few odd moments and tweaks I got the new drivers installed and its working great. I played Tribes for 3 hours straight right then. Perfect! I'm so glad to have Tribes 2 back in my life. Thanks for the fast responses everyone!