None

edited January 2014 in General Discussion
-

Comments

• edited January 2010
    You mean Unreal Engine 3? The Unreal Development Kit is absolutely free. You can do anything with it if you have the knowlegde. You could even sell your game.
    But as you saw with Ascension, making games takes a LOT of time. You'll need a good organised team that sticks together through good'n'bad times and a community that supports you......................... *looks sceptical at the remaining Tribes community ;)*
  • lol support from teh community? they hardly even upated their status.. maybe if they were more interactive with the player they would of gotten more support. but i agree with you tho rob, such a big waste.
  • You do know there already was a Tribes game made with the UT engine
  • We Never had the chance to use UDK, as it only recently came out.
    Ascension has been worked on for a long time.
  • ya like 3 years i think.. does it take that long to make a game?
  • edited January 2010
    ya like 3 years i think.. does it take that long to make a game?

Random Comp Sci major here:
    It depends, theoretically you can do quite a lot in a small amount of time, but organizational and motivational problems become a huge issue.

---

I'm starting to think it's not coincidental that some of the best indy projects for games come out of a very small (or singular - see Dwarf Fortress) group of coders that just attack the massive project with an insane level of determination.

You can make development with organized teams and stuff, but the problem with the "make a game" organizations is they're very often started by an ad hoc "lets make a game" decision. Which leads to no one knowing how to organize the project, or no one giving it enough though. Also, communities are hardly ever understanding of long development times, my tip: don't say anything about a project until it's more than 50% done, you'll save yourself a lot of problems and false expectations from others, and more importantly yourself.

Oh, and always tend towards shooting team members that want to focus just on providing "ideas". This translates to "make the game I want."

tldr : Dreaming is easy, implementing is hard as hell.