How do I host a (private) game that shows up on the server list?

I tried hosting a game and when my friend searched through the available games (with no filter), the game wasn't showing.
Ultimately I want to host a private game with a password that my buddies can see and join.
How do my buddies go about joining this game?

Comments

• couple questions:
    1. Are you launching a dedicated server, or hosting through online?
    2. If your doing dedicated, is the console showing any signs of receiving 'heartbeats' from the master server?
    3. Whats you network set-up? (Firewalls, etc.)
  • Just wanting to host a game online, not set up a dedicated server.
    Running Windows XP so there's a Windows fireall, but Tribes2 has been added to the exceptions. Using a wireless router as well, but not sure which port(s) I may need to forward to this computer, if any.
    When I tried, the game I set up wasn't seen by my friend. I hosted a private game with a password.
  • add port forwarding to your router, then check back.
  • There isn't much difference between setting up a dedicated server versus a non-dedicated (listen) server. If you are behind a NAT router, you will need to forward the server port (28000/UDP by default) in order for it to be reachable from the Internet. Your server will not be added to the server list if it can't be reached (the listing system checks this).

If you want it to be private, set up a password.

The server console will print status messages from the listing system, and will warn you if your server is unreachable. For a dedicated server, the console is the content of the shell window. For a listen (non-dedicated) server, the console can be viewed by pressing the ~ key (above tab, below escape).