Mid-air notification script?

Hey all,

This is my first post on these forums, even though I've been playing Tribes 2 on and off for years and years now (never competitively or on a high level though; just for fun). So, hi!

My question: on Goon Haven, you get popup notifications when you hit a midair, with the number of MAs you've hit on that map and the distance of the last one. I've been looking for an equivalent clientside script, but I can't seem to find it. Does such a script exist?

Thanks!

Comments

• I don't think so. With just a client script, I'm pretty sure you can't even determine if a shot was a direct hit or splash damage, let alone if your target was in the air at the time he was hit. The only reason you even get a hit sound is because classic servers play it for you.
  • wut he said^
  • I don't think so. With just a client script, I'm pretty sure you can't even determine if a shot was a direct hit or splash damage, let alone if your target was in the air at the time he was hit. The only reason you even get a hit sound is because classic servers play it for you.
    Weird, because I do get a hit sound in classic on servers I host myself as well, and even in training missions too.

Out of interest, if a clientside script can't determine if a shot was a midair hit, how come a serverside script can, then?
  • The server has access to the game state and the client doesn't.
  • Update: I posted the same topic on the TribalWar forums when I posted this one, and I got some very different replies there.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616941

So now I'm not sure if it is or isn't possible to have a script like this. My knowledge of the game (scripting in particular) just isn't sufficient... more thoughts, maybe? Thanks.
  • It is indeed impossible to write a client-side MA detector. However, if you only plan to have it in-use on your own server when playing with bots, then that isn't what you need. What you need is a server-side MA detector because you're hosting the server whenever you play with bots/in a training mission.
  • I think you're confusing the definitions of client side and server side. Client side scripts refer to the scripts that can run when the game is in "client" mode; i.e. you're connected to a remote game server, be it Goon Haven, or whatever.

Such scripts do not have any access to position data required to determine where players are located, where spinfusor discs are flying, where they impact, which player has which name. All game state data is restricted because that information could be used to write things like auto-aimer scripts.

Server side scripts run when the game is in "server" mode. These scripts manage almost all of the game simulation behavior, and have full access to all of the game state. These scripts can access the list of players, find out where they are located, track all of the projectiles that have been fired, compute if a player is in the air, and put all of those pieces together to send messages when there's a mid air spinfusor hit.

When you're running "training" mode, or hosting a non-dedicated server, the game goes into a hybrid client/server mode. In this mode, the simulation data is accessible from script, and the client mode UI (to draw the window and environment) is still running.

You can write a server-side script to generate these notifications, then run it on your own server (be it dedicated, or in the hybrid mode).

You can't write a client-side script that works on all servers (other than Goon Haven) that aren't sending you notifications from a server side mid-air detection script.
  • Right, so basically I just got the client and server terminology wrong. Thanks for clearing that up.

So what I need is the serverside script. Does anyone have it? I mean, it's operational on Goon Haven, so it exists all right...
  • edited July 2010
    If you are posting at TribalWar, you are posting at the wrong place, no matter what topic you are talking about (especially Tribes 2).

PS. It looks like you were talking to NoFiX, who is one of the most notorious hackers in T1/T2/T:V/etc, so his perspective is a little skewed. It would require a hacked executable to do what you want, which he could probably do in his sleep, but using a hacked executable is a shady road to travel. It isn't possible to do with just script alone.

PPS. For just the server-side script, You'd have to look at Evolution mod. I don't know of any separate MA notification script.
  • traditionaly, when you host and play at the same time in the same instance of the game, that is known as a "listen" server

as opposed to a "dedicated" server

ps nofix prolly knows more abt darkstar and torque than many of us put together, and while he has released some hacks, they would have been released by others sooner or later, and he provides ways for server ops to counteract the hacks for the most part

for instance, i have seen nofix's demo of his t1 aimbot and it worked quite well with blaster, cg, and disk, and as far as i know he has never released it to anyone - some people write code for the challenge and just curiosity

most serious t1 servers run a good deal of his antiexploit code
  • Naturally if you patch out the lockout on game state data from the script system you can access the required data. It would still be a little tricky because you need to identify the disc projectile datablock from its ghost copy (which is slightly different from the datablock version on the server, and has no name on the client side), modify the raycast function to use the client container (so you can see if the hit target is off the ground), add a callback to the generic onAdd function so you can capture newly generated spinfusor projectiles that you fire, and probably add a callback to onCollision so you can capture hits.

Of course, once you've done that much, there's not much stopping you from writing a precision mortar target script, auto-aimer, or whatever.
  • Naturally if you patch out the lockout on game state data from the script system you can access the required data.

Of course, once you've done that much, there's not much stopping you from writing a precision mortar target script, auto-aimer, or whatever.
    let's not
  • ^ Indeed.

Not that I understood any of that. :-\
  • yeah sounds like itd be a lot easier just to rely on the server to tell you when u ma someone
  • That's what I wanted to do, but not just on Goon Haven, but on my own servers as well.

I'll give that Evolution mod a try.
  • u will likely be better off cutting the ma code out of evo and running it alone than running evo itself, unless your particular server runs ok with evo

evo has issues with certain scripts.vl2s released after evo was written, issues such as not showing projectiles such as mortar rounds and missiles or the damage they should have caused

but if it works for you hey it works for you!
  • Hi,
    I downloaded some scripts, and so I have a question. How can I tell if a script is a client side script or a server side script?

Thanks.
  • usualy they say what they are for in the comments or the readme