Tribes 2 graphic settings reset

edited January 2009 in Support
Not really relevant to the patch, per se, but meh blasted graphic settings keep resetting on me! They even reset when I alt-tab! Any clue why this is? I decided to go for a fresh reinstall (uninstall, delete remaining junk, reinstall) but even this is proving to be unsuccessful. Tried gettin rid of read-only att. for all the files, no go.

Any registry keys I need to consider?

Comments

• No registry keys to worry about. Everything related to in-game settings is stored in your GameData/base/prefs/ directory (or mod/prefs/ if you run another mod), specifically clientPrefs.cs for most general settings. These are plain text files, so you can open them up in your favourite text editor and have a look.
    Preferences can reset to the compiled copy (clientPrefs.cs.dso) or the defaults in certain cases, but alt-tabbing should really have no effect whatsoever.
  • Almost sounds like your playing under a limited user account. Settings changes may not hold if done under a limited user account, you may need an unlimited account to make them permanent. Oh yeah, delete all the dso files before you make changes.
  • Almost sounds like your playing under a limited user account. Settings changes may not hold if done under a limited user account, you may need an unlimited account to make them permanent. Oh yeah, delete all the dso files before you make changes.

I'm with Blak here. try right clicking on your shortcuts.

>properties
    >compatibility
    >check the box next to 'run as administrator

If you are running as the sole user in a standard WinXP build (you'd know if otherwise, most likely), then you ARE already ruhnning as administrator.

Another way to ensure that you have full permissions is to google a program called "take ownership", and use it to apply fullownership of the Dynamix folder to yourself. Please note that it is VERY unlikely that you don't have proper permissions.
  • Messed with every clientpref.cs I can find. No dsos of em present. I even went so far as to go into the profiles for each card type (*profile.cs), edit em, then set em to read-only so the game wouldn't try and mess with em. Same goes with the clientprefs.cs.

The only thing that doesn't reset is resolution now. Everything else does :\

Oh, and this is definitely admin acct with permissions existing and functioning properly.
  • Last time this happened to me, I was either clicking a button that undid my prior changes, or I failed to click a button that applied and saved them.

As silly as it sounds, examine the screens, and read everything 3 times. Often, what looks like every other potato you've seen is actually a bratwurst.
  • edited January 2009
    You can delete the card profiles, they're pointless unless you run a specificaly defined card. Another thing is to make sure all the t2 folders have the read only property unchecked. Right click the folder, properties, uncheck read only if checked. Conversly, one might edit their video prefs as found in clientprefs.cs with notepad or Tribal IDE (my fav) and set the settings to your likings, save, and them mark that .cs as read only. I am wondering why you have found no dso files. if you have a file called cleandso.vl2* in your gamedata folder that explains it, if not, there's something wrong with your game or your system, t2 compiles dso files from scripts and runs off the dsos when in game. If your system isn't making dsos, there's a bigger problem.

*(cleandso deletes dso files when you close t2, making settings changes easier and in some cases reducing ues)