ip banning

2»

Comments

• I guess that's it? Even with a fresh install of Tribes, banlist command does not work in base.
  • I don't understand how this is such a difficult thing to do (granted I haven't done it myself).

Maybe I'll try to help you seeing as I banned you on GH.
  • I still don't know why you banned me on goons as I have never cheated on goons, or has anyone given proof of that.

But if you would be so kind to help me, I would greatly appreciate it, just let me know how I can help.
  • I am not 100% sure how I did it, but I got ip banning to work. My brother who writes code for mobile devices was helping me, and we put a command in the console which then switched it from guid banning, to ip banning.
  • Example code please?
  • I think this was more of an issue of him getting IP kicking/banning working with an external mod package installed on the server.
  • Rat,

Thanks for IP banning me. Ask your S.A.s who gave me the admin which you were so keen on instantly revoking. How could you believe that I hacked your server?

-Wing
  • How is this even possible to IP ban someone? If you disconnect&reconnect to your ISP, you are given a new IP anyway, or if you have a router - then again you can change your own IP, can't you? Or Im getting this whole IP thing wrong?
  • How is this even possible to IP ban someone? If you disconnect&reconnect to your ISP, you are given a new IP anyway, or if you have a router - then again you can change your own IP, can't you? Or Im getting this whole IP thing wrong?
    Most providers provide a DHCP instead of stiatic IP's when you retrieve an IP address. So, yes, in a way it's possible to change IP's but this doesn't happen too much. You'd have to shut off your internet and reconnect maybe a day or two later to get another IP address (since someone else will probably take your old one from the DHCP pool). If you just disconnect and re-connect real quick you will probably receive the same IP address because you're lease hasn't been up or the DHCP server hasn't put your IP address back in the pool.

Even if the person got around the ban, I'm sure the server admin will wind up banning him/her again.
  • Yes phantom, it was all about getting it working with the mod. The server was originally installed by someone else, and all I can guess is that it was done all wrong, and something was very messed up in there. Even though I got ip banning to work, I then lost guid banning. Now that I did a fresh install with tricon, the banning is working the way it is supposed to. I am not saying there is anything wrong with EVO, it just wasn't working the way it was set up.

Winged W. you got banned because when I politely asked you how you got admin, you claimed "you hacked my shitty server". I asked you a few more times, never got a straight answer. I don't understand, if people talk to you with respect why be disrespectful back? I discussed the matter with EC, and you are an admin again.

Heat, that is correct, you won't get a new ip just like that. It could take having your router off for a day before they give you a new ip. Most likely with just the last number changed. It would be obvious to the admin who you were, and would get banned again.

Which is why you should ban based on multiple different tests:
    *IP (%client.getAddress())
    *Username (%client.namebase)
    *GUID (%client.guid)
    *ect.

Thyth mentioned a system of his a while back that he implemented to ban based on multiple fields, when one entry was set off, all the other fields would also be recorded in a table to which future ban checks would be applied, he called it a "viral ban", you may want to ask him about that form of a system if you're worried about returning trouble makers.