Linux server hosting, how?

I've been going from site to site now and the only half decent info i could find was that you need a file from lokigames and the windows t2 cd to make a working server.. is this even correct?

Anyone have something more useful, like a download link maybe? (it's free right?) Some instructions on how to install and patch it correctly would be nice as well :d

Also a link to the classic mod would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• We have not produced a port of the crypto library or the Ruby interpreter for the Loki Linux version of the game, so going that route won't be very fruitful. Wine with the Windows version may work, but there are some problems in the game's use of TCP (but not UDP, used for serverclient communication) networking that causes crashes when running in Wine.

We use TCP sockets via the game's scripting language to integrate with our listing, chat, and authentication server. A dedicated server would only need to communicate with listing.

I don't know how frequently the listing code produces crashes when running in the dedicated server mode, but I know that running the game in client mode is pretty much impossible without deactivating all the network communication scripts.

I haven't had much of a chance to investigate possible workarounds yet. Turkeh was working on moving all the related TCP communication to use Ruby sockets, but that isn't complete yet. I also wrote some earlier TCP network enabled scripts for the game that did not cause problems in Wine -- if I can conclusively determine why some of the TCP enabled scripts work in Wine and some fail, I could rewrite the relevant scripts.

So... in short: We're still working on that.
  • Ok thanks, I hope you guys get it soon