Shutter effect, surround sound, running scripts

I've never played Tribes before. This is a blast. 3 issues

1: In OpenGL mode fullscreen, when I click any mouse button in menus or game, my screen flashes black, with the black quickly coming from the top and bottom, similar to a camera shutter. It's very distracting. It does not do this in DirectX mode, but the game runs like crap in DX. It's fixed by running OpenGL in windowed mode. Is there a way to run in fullscreenmode OpenGL without this problem?

2: Does Tribes 2 support surround sound? I'm running 5.1 speakers but only get stereo output. The only sound driver option is Miles 2D audio. I have an option of 4 speakers, 2 speakers, surround etc, but none of these options work. I only have a choice of 1 or 2 channels in another options dialog. Is there anything in clientprefs.cs I can use to fix this and get surround sound?

3: How do I run scripts? I'm using a HUD manager and message filter. The readmes say extract to Base, launch game, Launch -> scripts, but there's no scripts option in the launch menu.

Comments

• Hi!

Some thoughts on your questions:

1. If you have any form of antialiasing enabled in the driver control panel, disable it and see if that helps. Some vid cards have issues with t2 and antialiasing to a great extent.

2. I don't know.

3. All scripts, unless they are .vl2 files, go into either autoexec folder or scripts folder.
  • 3. .vl2 files go in ~/GameData/base/
    The Launch -> Scripts reference is an options thing. I think it comes with Writer's support pack. Not sure what exact pack it is though.
  • How do I run scripts? I'm using a HUD manager and message filter. The readmes say extract to Base, launch game, Launch -> scripts, but there's no scripts option in the launch menu.
    You'll need to download support.vl2 (which you can get here) and drop that in your GameData\base folder.

I'm not sure about the other issues, as I don't use audio and play the game in window mode with no ill-effects...
  • No solutions yet, but Flyingbox was talking about surround here:
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=321.0
  • Short:
    Don't bother with anything past 2/2.1. Too many inaccuracies in reproduction.

Long:
    Surround could be fabricated, using spatial cues (this is how EAX positional audio worked, iirc), and other methods. Unfortunately, I cannot speak highly of sounds generated as post - game effects. Typically, a good set of stereo headphones can produce the cues you need for distance and relative position. The game has to provide these, and does, but not fully.

unless you have your speakers positioned very optimally, you will also need to adjust latency between front and rears, as not adapting it will give false distance perception.
  • Thank you. The support plugin made the script work. I'll stop trying to get surround sound working, but am still looking for a fullscreen fix.
  • Updated my post, as linked above.
  • edited January 2009
    Good info flyingbox. I would have known better than to assume a game this old would support surround, but the menu options implied it. Great job getting to the bottom of this mystery.