Tribes weight calculations.

Does anyone know if Tribes uses your loadout (not packs) to calculate weight?

Example: If I spawn and inventory stations are gone, am I better off dropping my blaster for extra mobility?

Comments

• No, i don't believe so. Although each armor and weapon and pack has a mass value I don't believe it adds anything to your armor, and that its only for when the weapon is dropped. So in that situation I wouldn't drop it, it won't do a thing except get rid of your weapon that has infinite ammo on it.
  • Inventory stations and turret barrels seem to add weight. Discovered this on a map with an added jump pad, didn't go quite as far with an inventory station so I tested it with other packs, only other ones were the turret barrels.

Nothing else made any difference as far as I could tell.
  • Would be a cool concept, all that's needed is to make a function that searches for the mass value and then adds it to the original armor mass.
  • Yea I don't think so. I made a few cap attempts with nothing but the energy pack. I was no faster....and got owned quite quickly.
  • Yeah, especially during capping, even if you were to be faster you would be killed quite quickly, besides, the Invs and Barrels probably only limit your jump a little, they didn't seem to do anything to my run. I would stick to full health with at least a spinfusor so you can get a good disc jump (especially with classic when the jump is much better).
  • That being said, I still think it would be a cool mod to have. It would add even more strategy to choosing your loadout, instead of just packing on everything you can.

Unfortunately I know nothing about Tribes mods, other than that I hate when the server with the mod I want to play is full.
  • I think masses of weapons and packs do affect armor mobility. But, most of the packs and all of the weapons are mass=1, compared to the mass of the player (400 for a light, I think). Some of the larger deployables do have heavier masses, which could affect jetting and a little bit of acceleration time. Top speed is determined by a set velocity, and not a function of running force.

If you're walking around, it won't make any significant difference. Assuming my numbers above are correct: If you're jetting, dropping your blaster and pack will give you at most 0.25% more jetting height, but will reduce your inertia by the same amount, nullifying the benefit if you know how to ski properly.
  • I think masses of weapons and packs do affect armor mobility. But, most of the packs and all of the weapons are mass=1, compared to the mass of the player (400 for a light, I think). Some of the larger deployables do have heavier masses, which could affect jetting and a little bit of acceleration time. Top speed is determined by a set velocity, and not a function of running force.

If you're walking around, it won't make any significant difference. Assuming my numbers above are correct: If you're jetting, dropping your blaster and pack will give you at most 0.25% more jetting height, but will reduce your inertia by the same amount, nullifying the benefit if you know how to ski properly.

Do you know of a script that will display your current mass in your hud?
  • edited February 2009
    That information is generally considered protected by the game. It's possible if you remove ghost access control that Dynamix added to curb potential cheating scripts.

It would be something along the lines of this:
    function getMyPlayerMass()
    {
        %player = ServerConnection.getControlObject();
        %mass = %player.getDatablock().mass;
        for (%i = 0; %i < 8; %i++)
        {
            %mass += %player.getMountedImage(%i).getDatablock().mass;
        }
        return %mass;
    }

Edit: Oh, by the way, I should mention one specific factoid... the game only considers mass of objects that are currently mounted on the player (i.e. weapon in hand, pack on back, flag). Items in inventory aren't used in the mass calculation.
  • Havoc2, has this feature. It allows you to move faster, and gives you your mass information. It's a great mod. Currently its hosted by |)efender, join it I love it.
  • Ammo packs, inventories and I think turret barrels all add mass.
  • Ammo packs, inventories and I think turret barrels all add mass.

I think you're right on that one. Unless it's in my head, I always seem to go slower with the inventory pack on my back.
  • Along this same line of discussion I would like to throw in the concept of wind
    resistance. Does anyone know for sure if a female player armor would have less wind
    resistance than a male while traveling in a grav cycle? I think she does but it may be my
    wild imagination, so any mythbusting would be helpful. -R- :D

• Along this same line of discussion I would like to throw in the concept of wind
    resistance. Does anyone know for sure if a female player armor would have less wind
    resistance than a male while traveling in a grav cycle? I think she does but it may be my
    wild imagination, so any mythbusting would be helpful. -R- :D
    They both have the same as far as I know. The game would be kind of unbalanced if each race / gender had different running, weight, etc.
  • You can test those things easily. Get a script what shows your altitude. Change your packs and do just the full-start jetting as high you can. Check the altitude and repeat it.

At least the energypack gives you advantage over others ;-)
    The female/male does not have any difference.

And dont throw away your blaster, it is best weapon to clear base when there is shielded enemies ;-)
  • Good points Scholtz and besides if they had made the female faster her armor would be lighter and t2 never had any kind of wind meter so the resistance would be apparent more so than actual. If they did wish to differentiate the armor types, they could make it so the male armor could sustain slightly more damage. ::) I'd like to see some tests done comparing two extremes like male w ammo pack on grav racing vs female energy on grav but then I suppose you wouldn't know what variables you were comparing :-\
  • I'd like to see some tests done comparing two extremes like male w ammo pack on grav racing vs female energy on grav but then I suppose you wouldn't know what variables you were comparing :-\

I made few tests for weight about the normal and special packs.

All normal packs has same weight on all armors (energypack, repairpack, sensorjammer, motion sensor, pulsesensor etc). But special packs what Assault and Juggernaut armors can wield, has more weight.

Tests are simple. Get a pack and jet up and meter the max height what you get from the ground (with script). Do not use jump+jet, just jet.

Assault Armor Class:

With normal pack or without a pack (no energypack) 42 meters
    With Turret pack (Spider/Landspike) 19 meters
    With Mountable pack (Mortar/ELF/Plasma/AA/Missile) 19 meters
    Special packs makes 23 meter drop of 42 meters and that is a LOT! about 52%

Juggernaut Armor Class:
    With normal pack or without a pack (no energy pack) 25 meters
    With Turret pack (Spider/Landspike) 8 meters
    With Mountable pack (Mortar/ELF/Plasma/AA/Missile) 8 meters
    Special packs makes 17 meters drop of 25 meters and thats is a LOT! about 66%

And comparing to Scout Armor Class without energypack (normalpack/nopack): 133 Meters.

The energy what gets used to special packs, is noticable and _very_ huge. So do not wield spider turrent with Juggernaut Armor Class when trying to place them up, use Assault.
    (Energy pack allows bigger height = longer time to fly = bigger speed. Well controlled jetting allows fast skiing speeds, even on Base, but it needs lots of skills and understandhing physics)

And this why Assault is best Armor Class for Engineer/TurretMonkey.

These were for Base, and I believe that these are biased on Classic to give easier gameplay for base rapers and defenders by tweaking these small or even off.
  • arent females lighter and have smaller hitboxes save for heavy?
  • Hey again,
    Yeah I have a feeling that the female armor is lighter than the male but that is what we are trying to determine. Perhaps you could use Scholtz method (i.e. just use jet and not jump/jet) to figure out the max height of the two sex types with regard to various armors. It never occured to me about the hit box being smaller but if that turns out to be true then I'd probly switch to female to play lak. Also state what gametype: base, classic, etc. you are doing the comparison on. I'll try to check some of this too and get back to you. Now that garage games has the source again we might be able to ask them and find out once and for all!!
  • Female armors do not have "smaller hitboxes" so to speak... their model is slightly smaller, but not enough to really make a difference in gameplay. The hitbox itself is the same size, but slightly shorter. There is no mass (weight) difference between any male/female armor, and any packs with weight on them are large packs (such as deployable inventory).

This data is taken from ingame files.
  • lol... "female armor lighter than male"

haha... no.

AFAIK the only practical difference btw female and male is that from 1st person perspective the female light holds her laser rifle a little lower than male (so does the derm).
  • does this armor make my ass look fat?