Tribes 2 European Community Info (a MUST! for a European TribesNext player)

edited February 2009 in General Discussion
Hello all, I like to make all you Europeans aware of a community that does pickups / competitions in European viable times. So if you're European and want co-ordinated matches with a friendly bunch of people to be with here is the site for it. We have pickups in around 7PM GMT / 8PM CET time everyday where we have good games, around 8 v 8 on worst occasions to 14 v 14 in tournament mode with selected roles. We also are hosting a base / classic competition for those who want to be competitive.

How are our games run?:
Each game is like a tournament, we sort out whose going to be captains and then those pick out of those who are playing. After picking they assign roles for example, one person is a Base Raper and another person is Base Defense or Turret Farmer. This makes for a well co-ordinated and fruitful game, which although may have less people, better then a public game.

We don't use Tribesnext for the time being so for more information how to access our servers, please see below.

Information on how to get in touch:

IRC Channel: #t2.eu
(Google: MIRC For the IRC client, type in /join #t2.eu

http://t2revival.nl/index.php?sid=f79b522e3c8c4cd5b6578ffcab0a4c18
(Their Site)

http://t2revival.nl/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24&sid=f79b522e3c8c4cd5b6578ffcab0a4c18
(Info on how to get files to access their servers).

http://t2revival.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29&sid=da8efbcedfb8f991aa0353176a2a41ba
(3rd post: Some important terminology used)

Comments

• I hope those servers run on Classic and have enough Mhz and Bandwidth to make it worth to switch from GoonHaven. Further, please skip the Defense Turret-idea. I don't feel like messing with the client of a game I barely play anyway - and I bet I'm not the only one thinking like that.
  • Even though I'm a Euro I've never really gamed on the Euro servers because they almost all run DT, which conveniently crashes about 0-10 seconds after startup on my system for one reason or the other, and it being a dead program I don't forsee that changing anytime soon D:.
  • edited February 2009
    I've just learned from the Tribes-community in StudiVZ (and a post by Proxy_ on the second page of this forum when searching this post) that the guys on that Dutch website don't host their games over the TribesNext masterserver.
    Seriously, that's just narrow-minded: Why do you want to dilute the community not only in the web, but in the game as well? Well, apparently, the answer is that the TribesNext patch doesn't work in Linux and some guys want to run their game on that particular OS. C'mon, guys! Can't you run an emulator, second OS or adapt the patch code instead of messing with the community? That isn't just narrow-minded, that's also egoistic.
    So I'm definitely out.

I've just got the operator's answer on my comment there:
    KarakasaThe_Kaioshin wrote:What's the deal with this forum anyway?
    First, I didn't know of this "European branch" of the revival community until today when I checked the Tribes-group in StudiVZ, my first visit on that website for ages anyway. Second, there's no announcement or link on the TribesNext site, either.
    I reckon that this forum just adds to the risk that the community gets diluted to such an extent that the whole revival-project collapses before it actually bears fruit. I guess you all read about those considerations on the TribesNext forums where even the people of PlanetTribes agreed on that risk and refrained from reviving their website.
    My suggestion: Ask Tyth for a European subforum on the TribesNext website. That'll give you both more recognition and will keep the community together.

We have nothing to do with TribesNext and as a matter of fact, for the time being, we don't really care about TribesNext. We are waiting for their system to support linux based servers and only THEN will we be seen in the TribesNext scenes. As of now, I think you should look at us as a clan, with our own forums and servers. These forums have nothing to do with wanting to split the communities between TribesNext and us. TribesNext is the solution to the server problems and that's it. I don't recall seeing every single t2 player posting on the sierra.com forums. TribesNext is the same, it fixed the master server and thats it. It isnt a ladder, or a clan gathering site, its just there to post updates and release new stuff, a bit like a new Sierra. Does not mean each clan has to have a forum on THEIR site etc....
    But hey, I really appreciate Thyth's work and I've been following its progress, but we only have linux based servers and until Thyth fixes that problem, we use our own solution to keep playing this awesome game.

So, apparently, it's not about their clients but servers.
  • You idiot!

Not much more to say.
  • edited February 2009
    We have nothing to do with TribesNext and as a matter of fact, for the time being, we don't really care about TribesNext. We are waiting for their system to support linux based servers and only THEN will we be seen in the TribesNext scenes. As of now, I think you should look at us as a clan, with our own forums and servers. These forums have nothing to do with wanting to split the communities between TribesNext and us. TribesNext is the solution to the server problems and that's it. I don't recall seeing every single t2 player posting on the sierra.com forums. TribesNext is the same, it fixed the master server and thats it. It isnt a ladder, or a clan gathering site, its just there to post updates and release new stuff, a bit like a new Sierra. Does not mean each clan has to have a forum on THEIR site etc....
    But hey, I really appreciate Thyth's work and I've been following its progress, but we only have linux based servers and until Thyth fixes that problem, we use our own solution to keep playing this awesome game.

Makes a valid point, I'm not making a comment on this, everyone has their own opinion and if he doesn't want to use TN, thats fine, but there is no need for an outrage because of it, thanks.