One month contacts going on 5.

Hey guys. I just wanted to know if any of you are aware of the consequences of wearing 1 month contacts for 5 months because you can't afford to buy new ones.

Thanks in advance!

-AnarchyAo

Comments

• Hey guys. I just wanted to know if any of you are aware of the consequences of wearing 1 month contacts for 5 months because you can't afford to buy new ones.

Thanks in advance!

-AnarchyAo

I watched a television program on this once, they claimed that disposable contacts were the exact same thing as non-disposable ones. A buddy of mine tried it once and his testes shriveled up and fell off. ;)

On a serious note, you probably shouldn't do it. My x-gf did it once and her left eye swelled shut, she got an infection.
  • On a serious note, you probably shouldn't do it. My x-gf did it once and her left eye swelled shut, she got an infection.

You and everyone elses ex. What's with this? I hear more stories about ex-girlfriends getting eye infections for this very reason every day. God damnit woman, put on yer damn glasses.
  • Your eyes are going to become infected, burst into flames, and then you'll die.

Sorry.
  • On the plus side, you have a chance at mutating into a Hunter or a Boomer or a Tank.
  • I know a guy who left them in and didn't clean them properly and got an infection in his eyes that may never clear up.
  • And this is because the sticker said disposable or because he did not clean something he stuck in his EYE
  • That's part of why I don't want contacts... possible infections aside, I'm still sticking something in my eye, and that's just creepy for me.
  • lasik is your friend...nothing like waking up and being able to read the alarm clock with out putting on glasses or contact....

get surgery its worth it

btw not from those doctors who advertise buy surgery on one eye get one free....yikes! go to a real doctor
  • I don't wear contacts because glasses are sexy, and people who can sport them are too.

In other words, I'm sexy. ;)
  • I don't wear contacts because glasses are sexy, and people who can sport them are too.

In other words, I'm sexy. ;)

I don't know about all that, but there is something definitely hot about a hot girl wearing glasses. Love it.
  • lasik is your friend...nothing like waking up and being able to read the alarm clock with out putting on glasses or contact....

get surgery its worth it

btw not from those doctors who advertise buy surgery on one eye get one free....yikes! go to a real doctor

Don't they do that by basically permanently focussing one eye far away and one eye up close? That'd probably kill your ability to focus on multiple distances at once and be a total waste if your vision is already perfect or better up close but you're just nearsighted.
  • edited February 2009
    Corrective surgery is done this way today:
    laser is used to slice a thin layer, still held to the orb by a few cells, from the eye.
    Then a laser is pulsed in specific spots under this sliced layer to destroy tissue and reshape the surface of the eye. This mishapen surface is where the visual errors stem from. After they have reshaped the surface, the flap they first sliced from the eye is put back in place, and the healing begins. Both eyes are calculated before surgery to be cut or lased to allow 20/20 vision, or the best that can be done in each case.

The old (mid 90s) way was to use a diamond tip scalpel to cut slots into the surface of the eye, and each slot was measured and located to allow the surface of the eye to expand and heal in the expanded position, thus changing the focal point to correct the error. They can correct nearsightedness and some astigmatisms (when you look at, say, a round object it comes out eggshaped to you) this way.
  • Okay aside from the epic shudders I get from picturing (heh) a slice cut from my eyeball, I assume they have a way to keep your eye perfectly still while doing this?

And do we "see" the whole process or are our eyes like turned off for the duration?
  • Okay aside from the epic shudders I get from picturing (heh) a slice cut from my eyeball, I assume they have a way to keep your eye perfectly still while doing this?

And do we "see" the whole process or are our eyes like turned off for the duration?

They use a laser to track your eye's movements.

As for seeing it, I don't believe so, but I'm not positive.
  • I doubt we'd percieve the lasers, the vast majority of lasers are FAR beyond our visual range. That's why it's dangerous to look at an eclipse, visibly the sun is so dim your pupil dilates but it's still putting out MASSIVE amounts of IR and UV radiation that cooks you to blindness just as fast as it ever would.
  • I have had the surgery. That is why i recommended it. They give you drops that make your eye numb. You cant feel anything. I touched my eyeball with my finger and felt nothing, just "pressure" on my eye.

They also gave me a valum* to relax me.

Took me to the room. I laid down they put this bright light thingy over me. The doctor and nurses called out the calculations. Zap Zap. In walking out of the procedure I could see better instantly.

One week later I had a follow up visit. All was well. I now have 20/20 left eye and 20/15 right eye.

Cost 5 grand. 2500 an eye, but was worth every penny and more.
  • Guess I left out some important aspects huh. When you go in, you do one eye at a time, like when you get cataracts removed. A few weeks later you can do the other eye. Like you guys need to worry about cataracts. Anyway, you go in, put on your Mr Nuclear paper suit and the pretty nurse puts drops in your eye. She gives you a bit of a check over and then leaves you alone for a bit. Then they take you into the OR and you lay on the table. They add more drops and your eye is numb, so numb that you don't feel the metal bail that is used to hold your eyelids open, nor do you feel the weird fixture that actualy locks your eye in place so it can't move. Makes you look like a borg. Yes. You can't focus on what they're doing but you can tell things are happening, and you can't feel it. You may see a bright localised light when the laser fires but my guess is it's infrared so you wouldn't see a beam even if you could focus. A few minutes of the doc commenting on the basketball team losing last night and poof you're done. For those who live with glasses, this is a great thing, you'll wish you'd done it years ago.
  • I have had the surgery. That is why i recommended it. They give you drops that make your eye numb. You cant feel anything. I touched my eyeball with my finger and felt nothing, just "pressure" on my eye.

Took me to the room. I laid down they put this bright light thingy over me. The doctor and nurses called out the calculations. Zap Zap. In walking out of the procedure I could see better instantly.

One week later I had a follow up visit. All was well. I now have 20/20 left eye and 20/15 right eye.

When did you get it done? I've heard that prices have reduced dramatically.
  • So they do the thing too where they're working on you and talking about something completely different? :P

I hate it when they do that at the dentist, because I so want to chime in but it's hard to do that with half your mouth numb and a bunch of tools in the way. So frustrating...
  • So no response on the whole near/far focus issue? I know that used to be a problem with eye surgery, you lost a lot of dynamic range in favor of clarity.
  • That freaks me out man.

"You and everyone elses ex. What's with this? I hear more stories about ex-girlfriends getting eye infections for this very reason every day. God damnit woman, put on yer damn glasses."

My ex did the same shit, wtf. She would complain about her eyes hurting, and I would say take out your contacts. She would say no (and sleep in them, for months) and get pissed when she took her contacts out in pieces when her eyes became red as fuck.

When did you get it done? I've heard that prices have reduced dramatically.

2001 i think. maybe it was 02
  • That's about what the laser version of the surgery costs now... A little less. My insurance covers a percentage, 30% IIRC.
  • Unfortunately anymore it is usualy considered "cosmetic surgery" by insurance cos.
  • It's a corrective surgery. And my insurance rocks.
  • Wow. that was pretty neato.