Bad Connectivity Problems

Hello, I have been experiencing very sporadic and seemingly random connection issues with Tribesnext. Usually when playing on a server (mostly Branzone or Goon Servers) I will play totally smooth for a while, and then I will start to get the "freeze" lag where the entire screen stutters a couple times then freezes for ~15-30 seconds, with the only thing on the screen moving being the game clock.

After the freeze the game resumes as normal, sometimes with the exception of a weird bug that doesnt allow me to change weapons, use packs, or even ctrl-k :(

I use a netgear wireless G-router WGR614v9, Windows Firewall, and some shit toshiba cable modem. Internet service is Comcast. I do have a dual core machine but have the affinity set to one core so that shouldnt be causing any of the stuttering/freezing, it seems to me like it is purely a connectivity issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• If clock is still going then I'm fairly sure that's a network connectivity issue, not a graphics one, as you also concluded.

Perhaps try putting your computer in the DMZ or connect it directly to the modem? Other than that I'm not sure what one can do about connectivity gaps.
  • I think this is a modem signal strength issue resulting in periods of nearly 100% packet loss. I had similar issues a few years ago. Signal strength on the cable modem dropped outside of tolerance, then the modem died a few weeks later.

The bug you're experiencing with the inability to change weapons/use packs/suicide (and probably you can't chat) happens if there is protracted/severe packet loss, and the server loses track of your client's network state (the remote procedure call code then breaks in the game, which is used for everything except moving around and shooting).

You should be able to access your cable modem status panel by accessing http://192.168.100.1/ in your web browser. You'll need to look up what the acceptable tolerance ranges are for the various signal parameters, but from the sounds of it, you'll either need to replace your modem, or get a signal amplifier installed by Comcast.
  • Have your provider look into the modem from their end.
  • thanks for the great replies everyone, ill probably end up just buying a new modem because this isnt the first time i have had problems with the ones provided by comcast.
  • I have a suspicion (totally unconfirmed) that this happens with Comcast connections as part of their "network management".
  • I suppose that's possible, and it fits pretty well with Pantalones' description of the problem. Starts out normal, but eventually lags to hell. Considering that Comcast's new throttling system will let you use all the bandwidth for a short period of time (I've heard 15 minutes, and I don't think T2 generates so much data to shorten that), and then starts the usual RST throttling everyone heard about last year. Since the RST counts as dropping the packet altogether, Thyth's note that Tribes starts acting up when it's having severe packet loss, it starts to all fit together.

I know we did the calculations for how much bandwidth a T2 server would need per client, do we have the data for how much constant up/down a single client needs? My network meter shows cumulative data of ~1GB on the days I'm active in game, but this should be taken with a grain of salt as I do a lot of web browsing too (average over the last few weeks is ~650MB a day).
  • The game uses UDP, not TCP. RST is a TCP flag. In any case... the game uses a tiny amount of bandwidth on the client end. This fits with my experience with early cable model failure symptoms.
  • So i got a new modem today and set it up, im still experiencing the same problems. Im guessing its the router >
  • update: its definitely the router. I plugged the modem straight into my comp bypassing the router last night and didnt have any connectivity issues at all.

Any ideas? Netgear wireless G-router WGR614v9
  • Most of the consumer grade routers have cheap power bricks that don't deliver clean power over the lifetime of the device. Over time, especially if you don't have the cleanest AC mains power, those power bricks start to fail. You can try putting your router on a line conditioner or UPS, but usually, those sorts of routers are cheaper to replace when they start to act up.
  • If you are brave, and ddwrt is available for your rooter, ddwrt is a great free rooter os replacement.
  • completely fixed my lag problem, all i had to do was download the latest firmware update which i didnt do when i got the router for some reason :x

doh. Thanks guys.
  • I love happy endings.