Combat PA 3.0 - MouseMod

Just in case you missed it - the server is back up.

Come join us!

The old forums are also online again at http://tgghaus.com/forums/default.asp.

Comments

• Mods: Feel free to move this to the PUG forum if you think it's more appropriate.

I placed it here since it's (MouseMod) a server side mod.
  • I'm skeptical. I used to play mousemod often and it got rather tiring when people started almost exclusively using the shield pack.
  • Understandable. It's not my favorite component of the mod for sure, but they can be defeated. Blaster and conc grenades work well.

There may be more stuff added or subtracted over time. Player feedback is always welcome.
  • One of the few clear indicators of something being genuinely overpowered and throwing off the game balance is when it begins to become the only viable option, or the only option ever taken.

The shieldpack was balanced before because it both ran down on it's own and from being taxed and because the inevitable shieldpack assault could be repelled by spawners through skillful use of the blaster, the shieldpack in mousemod either needs another weapon capable of dealing with IT'S shieldpack or for the shieldpack to be toned down possibly by being limited to the heavier armors.

Just imagine what a permacloaked juggy would be like.
  • I've got plenty of suggestions...

Just having a shield pack maxes out your heat sig. This would add some vulnerability to all the jugs boosting through the air to the enemy base, and might make them think about being sneakier. They'd also be bullseyes for missile and AA turrets. Of course, they could just drop an inventory close to the enemy's base, and utilize that method for avoiding the turrets. Maybe doing the same to inventory packs?

Mine discing, and possibly including mines in the spawn loadout. Could also consider adding a second type of mine to allow this that will not deploy to prevent mines all over the place. The additional mines might only be usable by light (spawn) armor.

Consider making sensor jammers turn off shield packs, much like cloak packs.

Or, here's a good one... Give repair packs one additional function, to power an asset as long as it's being "shot" by the repair gun (which, of course, means that the repair pack will have to continue repairing an asset even at full health). This will allow players in a completely raped base to still get gear, but will have severe limitations.
  • All interesting ideas. Mouse reads here too so he'll see them as well.

I do like the idea of the heat generation on the shield packs. Surely another good way to kill the shield whores :)

Shadowex3 - what would you think of an option like a concussion mortar or concussion grenade launcher against shields? Would that be enough of an offset in your opinion?

I'd be for "mine discing" for sure! I remember that from T1 Renegades (?) as well as missile jumping.
  • edited February 2009
    That would be a little overpowerful since that would then negate ANY pack, and setting it to a percentage chance of occuring would just make it useless. Honestly making the cloak pack last forever made sense since a cloaker's generally dead if he's caught but making the shield pack infinite is just plain overpowered, moreso than anywhere else on the lights.

I'd say make it max out your heat signature as long as it's active and restrict it to mediums and above then have it vulnerable to some (slightly more than the blaster) of the damage from the plasma rifle and up the blaster damage some. That'd eliminate the unending stream of airborne hit and fade shield lights that can soak up damage like they're juggs and make other people really consider when they want to turn it on while giving options to counter it.

[edit]

Basically operate it on the principle that it's protection from ballistic forces, but is weak to energy weapons (cept the sniper, refracts some of the directed energy just so it isn't TOTALLY useless when you have a Dsniper) and since plasma's aggravated heat damage that hurts too.