To play or not to play v.tribes1 vet

First off, I just wanted to say hi to the community and I find it amazing what is going on here. I have been pineing away for a long time to have my jet pack back. I have been playing a ton of team fortress 2 and it is never the same. In tribes1, I was co-leader of phobia with one of the sticks members in dialup league and was a starting heavy offense for the Evil Clownz. My handles were coulrophobia and E|C-Clownboy, E|C-CB, E|C-Coulrophobia etc.

I have the game downloaded and sitting on my desktop. I have searched without much success. I need a detailed description between tribes2base and tribes2 classic. Is it going to be worth my time to play? I can not play a computer game without being in a competitive league. I can not get enough of competition. SO with that said, I will be another one of those 'competitive' guys if I play. Is this community growing, staying the same, or dying?

Please convince me why I should load this up and play because I am sitting on the fence right now, unable to move. I have never played tribes2. Am I in for a rude shock or a pleasant surprise?

Thanks guys,

Coulrophobia

Comments

• Well, if you play we're growing. If you don't, we're dieing. The competetive community is on twl.
  • VGH

You owe it to yourself to get in and play a few games, if for no other reason than to experience it when there actually IS a community of active players.

You may love it, you may hate it. Your mileage may vary.

Once you've installed the game, navigate to Tribes2\GameData\Classic and read Classic_readme.txt and Classic_technical.txt for tons of details.

mystic_1
  • If you have it, play it. If you like base t1, you'll likely feel right at home in classic, with base being a little slower while v2 and the rest are faster. Me, I have t1, t2, and even tv and play each when there's a good game going.
  • edited March 2009
    If you have it give a try I played T! and T2 for years and enjoyed both I bet you will to.Besides its free so why the hell not its still better than most if not all the other fps games out there. ;D
  • Install it, play it, love it.

Oh and if it's been a while since you've last played... prepare for a beating.

*cough* im recruiting (duel me show me what you got)
  • IF you can beat me in a duel, you can have captainship of team ION.

When and where will this duel take place? I'd like a shot at the title as well. :)

light vs light?
    any weapon?
    mine discing? yes/no?

i need details
  • It's worth playing, classic is very similar to T1 but there's in some ways more variety given the extra deployables and vehicles. Skiing doesn't feel quite as crisp that will probably be your complaint, but it is fast paced and fluid and surprisingly well balanced. Classic gives you a feeling completely different from base and the game is much more stable now.

The community competes on twl and you can find most everyone on #lastgasp in irc.tribalwar.com. We have full pickup games and pubs nightly.