WHY WE NEED TRIBES NEXT?

Can someone explain to me, WHY WE NEED TRIBES NEXT?

I always use a navite Linux client form Loki, and use Loki compat pack to work with, it's works fine. Also I already use AlternateMasterSupport about few months.

One day I start up Tribes 2, search game servers. When I join to one of those server, it's said "This's a Tribes Next only server" so I can not join

Oh, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? (english is not my local language, but I know this ldiom)

So I did search on google, and found this website. Now, here is a question - did TRIBES NEXT better than AlternateMasterSupport ? Is it necessary ? and EVEN THAY DON'T HAVE LINUX CLIENT SUPPORT?

Comments

• TribesNext provides actual accounts (and soon, browser/t-mail support), whereas AlternateMasterSupport simply provides server listing.
    You can run the Windows client via Wine, after some minor work-around (see here)
  • oh....is account support really important or necessary ?
  • oh....is account support really important or necessary ?

Only for the old features that were previously disabled, such as the in-game browser, t-mail, etc. Those were great features that improved the community-feel of Tribes 2, so it'll be nice to have them back
  • I agree those features are good for players, but if bring features back cause the "tribes next only server" - is that congregate community or separate community? And I can't figure out why need to make tribes next not compatible with official tribes 2? even UTPG and ioquake3 sill keep client/server compatibility with offical release.
  • Un-modded Tribes relies on players keeping a favorite list of all servers (because there is no master), requires new players to acquire virtually non-existent CD keys, and provides no protection against smurfs.
  • And I can't figure out why need to make tribes next not compatible with official tribes 2? even UTPG and ioquake3 sill keep client/server compatibility with offical release.
    You mean the hacked online LAN mode that all of the other systems use? If your client doesn't perform an authentication handshake operation with a server, you can't connect to a server with authentication.

TribesNext uses an "online" mode, which you can't access from a LAN-mode client. A few Linux users have reported successes with recent versions of Wine and the Windows version. You might want to try that instead of using Loki's out of date version.
  • Sorry, I forgot that Tribes 2 official online mode is dead, so actually there is no way to make compatible with official Tribes 2. And thanks to point out that TRIBES NEXT still use online mode, so can not make compatible with AlternateMasterSupport because it's uses LAN mode.

ok, first little question is - Is there's no way to make Tribes Next server compatible with LAN mode?

I am not a Linux zealot and I still have a Windows box, so no Linux support is not really a flagrant problem to me. But I curious about what the technical issue cause TRIBES NEXT dropped native Linux support? just because Loki's port is "out of date" ? In fact, either windows or linux version - THEY BOTH OUT OF DATE, they got same patch version, their service died at same day. People fell Loki's port is hard to run, just because Linux is upgrade faster than XP to Vista, and there's already had a solution to fix the compatibility problem on Linux.
  • The reason we dropped support for Loki's native client is because we don't have a Linux programmer who is sufficiently proficient with ELF to make the necessary modifications to the executable. Not to mention the various incompatibilities between some of the native API calls between the two versions that leads to subtle, but sufficiently different behavior.

Find a Linux programmer who will graft a Ruby interpreter onto Loki's version, and you'll have your native Linux support. They'll probably be smart enough to extract the RSA public keys programmed into my Apotheosis DLL too.

Until then, run it in Wine, or play on servers that don't use TribesNext.