Real video card opinions....

Ok, I poked my VGA fan and burned the motor the other day. It works, but it runs @ about 160 dagrees without the 3 outside fans on it....and theyre easily knocked loose. Its a 7900 GS AGP and I was going to buy a 7950 GT AGP....basically the same thing but a little faster. Everywhere I look I see specs of ATI cards that have core speeds around 600Mhz and 800 Mhz. SO, in all honesty, are the ATI cards really that much faster even with an AGP bus....or is it just a bunch of numbers put to describe a metal plate?

Edit:

Also....its been a while where the hell do I put the photoshop .png file to get my skins wo work. I set the textures to 32 bit and have them in the right file. I remember this being a pain back when T2 was still runnning strong.

Comments

• Don't you think 160 is a little too warm? I have mine set to shutoff at 157 F.
  • My GeForce 8300GS idles at 160F...

Tribes apparently really gives it a run for its money. One of maybe two games I have that actually forces the internal fans to run high. Of course, my ventilation royally sucks.
  • Mr. Special if you have been happy with the performance your 7900GS offers, a 7950GT would be a wise purchase since you are still with an AGP bus.
  • Its not that I'm not happy with it, its that the fan is broken. Its just that all these specs of these AGP cards from ATI are so fast. So I wanted to know exactly what the experience is like with them.

An 700 MHz card is awfully fast, but I still get great performance out of my 450 MHz card. So its a little hard to tell since I have never seen any of the ATI cards in action.
  • It isn't really the Mhz that matter in video cards. The type of vram on them, ex. GDDR 2,3,4, or 5 and its interface matter along with the number of stream processing units, or for older cards pixel shader processors and vertex shader processors. I prefer Nvidias products over ATi's even though the shop I work at only sells ATi. Pay particular attention to pixel and vertex shader numbers and the type of video ram and its interface, keeping in mind that with most older cards you would be much better off with 256Mb of GDDR3 than 512Mb of GDDR2. Hopefully that helps you with your decission.
  • I dont like ATI their drivers usually suck and dont update that often.
  • My Built by ATI Radeon X850 XT PE idles at 50°C peaks at about 72°C. You're in no danger.
    I dont like ATI their drivers usually suck and dont update that often.

They're updated monthly. Is that not frequent enough for you?