Map installation guide

edited April 2009 in Support
hai guys, Searched forums and found where to DL the map packs but no guide on how to install these. I see there is talk of an auto map installer and found a link to an older possibly BETA version, but again how does this work? turkeh/thyth, you two seem to be the men for all things n00b, can either of you perhaps make a guide and sticky / FAQ it for us? please XD

Comments

• If you downloaded a map, it should be in a VL2 right. Now all you have to do is make sure you put it in the C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\base directory. That is if you have windows XP/Vista. And that is it, and same goes for scripts.
  • hay, thanks for reply. I apologise for lack of info i provided. I have downloaded 2 map packs;
    "TWL-MapPack.vl2"
    "TWL2-MapPack.vl2"
    from "http://dl.rawr32.net/maps/" They have the "*.vl2" extension as you mentioned on the web site but after i download them they are "*.zip"

I gather I should unzip these to the specified directory of "C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\base directory\" as i am using a Microsoft Operating System.

Thank you again for your assistance.
    p
  • You don't have to unzip. All you have to do is change the extension back to .vl2 and put them in your base folder (without unzipping).
  • You can think of .vl2 as an alias for .zip

If you look inside of the .zip and it contains a .vl2, put the .vl2 in your Tribes installation. If the .zip contains folders and mission files, rename it (the .zip) to a .vl2 without modifying anything inside.
  • They have the "*.vl2" extension as you mentioned on the web site but after i download them they are "*.zip"
    Sounds like you're using Internet Explorer to download the maps. IE tries to be "smart" about analyzing files it downloads, and renames them without prompting if it thinks it knows better.

So, you can remove the .zip extension, or you can redownload the files using a different web browser.
  • had the same problem, searched for TWL2 instead of map packs, go figure. thanks for the help