Graphic enhancements

I've been trying to get the guys at my work to plays Tribes 2 with me at break time but they won't because they say "it has really bad graphics." They are all 3D modelers/animators so they are very critical of things like that.

Has anyone attempted this before or have any information for me to get started? I spend most of my time with Sandbox2 and the crytek 2 engine, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Torque engine.. I don't think they released any source code to tribes 2 did they? Sharper textures will only go so far... I'd consider spending 300 bucks to upgrade Tribes 2 to the latest torque engine hahah ;D

Comments

• All sierra released was source player models. No source code for the engine was released.
  • Tell them to go to go fuck themselves and stare at a photograph for 3 hours if they care more about shiny than gameplay.
  • Seriously. If they can't see Tribes2 for what it is they are better off gaming some random soulless DX10 game.
  • Seriously. If they can't see Tribes2 for what it is they are better off gaming some random soulless DX10 game.

Which, like crysis, probably runs better and with all the same graphical effects in dx9 mode.
  • There was a high res skin pack for tribes2 which ive just downloaded, but i cant get it to work? Dosent really bother me as its the game play i love so much about this game, so glad its back!!!!!!! ;D
  • if it's the one with the default skins it should actually be an installer that does it all for you.
  • yip it was an exe, still didnt work though, and i remember i used to have shinny things in it too, like the slopes you get inside bases. But like i said, dont mind as long as i can play it l ol
  • Go to setting and make sure that you have high res textures turned on?
  • Get them to play t1, great artwork..... for 1998.
  • Why not try working on legends?

http://legendsthegame.net/
  • The legends project is dead.
  • Why not try working on legends?

http://legendsthegame.net/

Ascensions is the new wave!
  • I thought they were still working on Legends?

Not that I want to advertise for the competition, lol.
  • Garage Games released an enhanced version of the original Torque Engine after T2 was released, and I believe it was an SDK kit with a manual to get the best out of it. They have upgraded the engine to the lastest specs. Take note that what you get is the game and a licence to use it for $300, but if it goes gold you will need to pay them royalties . That was the deal back in the day but its actually a pretty sharp way to get business and keep money rolling in . Rather than pay a really hefty license fee for something like the Unreal 2 engine up front, this allows you to get a decent , proven game engine and all the tools make gaming magic. Garage Games are advocates of the Indie game devs . Some of the best ones out there got their start as Indie devs.
  • Garage Games released an enhanced version of the original Torque Engine after T2 was released, and I believe it was an SDK kit with a manual to get the best out of it. They have upgraded the engine to the lastest specs. Take note that what you get is the game and a licence to use it for $300, but if it goes gold you will need to pay them royalties . That was the deal back in the day but its actually a pretty sharp way to get business and keep money rolling in . Rather than pay a really hefty license fee for something like the Unreal 2 engine up front, this allows you to get a decent , proven game engine and all the tools make gaming magic. Garage Games are advocates of the Indie game devs . Some of the best ones out there got their start as Indie devs.

I'm sorry to see you're so uninformed about GarageGames. Remember how much T2 UEs? It only gets worse. As a license owner for both TGE and TGEA, I can safely say that the above is 100% false. You get exactly what you pay for in comparison to the price of other game engines (ex. Unreal). All "proven features" were community additions that you have to buy with more money, they do not come with the engine itself.

The best chance for any upgraded Tribes-like game would be one of two options:
    1: Ascension
    2: GarageGames open sourcing Tribes 2, so we can improve the game ourselves.

I'm sorry to see you're so uninformed about GarageGames. Remember how much T2 UEs? It only gets worse. As a license owner for both TGE and TGEA, I can safely say that the above is 100% false. You get exactly what you pay for in comparison to the price of other game engines (ex. Unreal). All "proven features" were community additions that you have to buy with more money, they do not come with the engine itself.

The best chance for any upgraded Tribes-like game would be one of two options:
    1: Ascension
    2: GarageGames open sourcing Tribes 2, so we can improve the game ourselves.

Ah well, at the time the Torque Engine seemed like a good idea . I did not know that they had modules that you had to buy to make it better , so thats my bad . What is the Ascension engine ? Which games use it ? As for GG releasing the source code, my guess is probably not . Thats kind of the backbone of their business and giving that out would probably mean forking out some mucho dinero.

Lets keep this going. It looks likes there are enough knowledgeable people here to get some sort of mod or conversion of the game engine going somehow. I would like to see a graphical update, maybe some new features , but not at the sacrifice of game play or balance. It seems mods have a tuff time in the balance dept if you know what I mean .
  • Ascension is a game (tribes-clone) on the Torque (Advanced) engine.

And, I believe, the comment about open-sourcing T2 was probably meant as "work with TN to enhance/fix bugs".
  • Ascension is a game (tribes-clone) on the Torque (Advanced) engine.

And, I believe, the comment about open-sourcing T2 was probably meant as "work with TN to enhance/fix bugs".

Very cool . Here's hopin' they see the light and let TN have it, but usually they ( developers) want something in return . Its old code, true enough, but business is business and unfortunately nothing is for free . Here's hoping though !
  • edited April 2009
    Maybe your friends would be interested in Tribes mods on other engines since they are graphics dweebs. I think Tribes has such a hardcore following because of the gameplay not the graphics. Thats not to say people wouldnt like to see a new tribes game with better graphics.

Tribal Wars on the Quake Engine
    http://www.twars.org/

Project Rise on the Crysis Engine.
    http://www.project-rise.org

One of the problems with using a different game engine for Tribes just to have better graphics is that most graphics people don't realize a lot of Tribes isnt so much about the eye candy, but more the physics and how they work in game. Tribes is one game where the physics of movment is a big factor in the playability. Get that wrong and all the eye candy in the world wont save it. Tribes Vengeance somewhat falls in that category. They thought prettier grpahics on the unreal 2 engine would suffice. Ugh.