Base Vs Classic

I see alot of talk about these two. I just recently started playing again, played T1, for years, and T2 for a good time. What is the diffrence between Classic and Base. Thiers tons of aruments for them but whats the actual diffrences.

Comments

• Mainly speed, but Classic also introduces some bug-fixes not in base and some extra features/strategies (like mine-discing, MPB teleporter, turret switching on MPB, etc).

Would probably have to find and read the changelog to know most of the differences.
  • edited May 2009
    Base is slow; Classic is fast. If you don't have a lot of experience playing the game, then that's probably the biggest (and maybe only) difference you will notice for a while. There are huge differences in how the game is played between the two, but that only matters if you're trying to get really good or playing with an organized team. Since you played T1, I could probably sum it up easier: Base is about like what T1 would have been if they took out skiing, and Classic is made to be just like T1.
  • Base is about like what T1 would have been if they took out skiing

IIRC, wasn't skiing a sort of accidental discovery in T1? Like at some point someone figured out that bunny hopping down a slope would build up a bunch of speed at the end and it ended up a core mechanic for future games?

In any event, Kryand sums it up quite well. Classic is faster than Base.
  • That story has grown in the telling.

If you played T1, you'll like Classic better than Base.
  • Thanks, some of the bigger changes u noted, i have noticed but didnt remeber them from base tribes 2, Big ones where being mine disked, when i thought that was not possible, the new teleporter on MPB, didnt know you could change the Top turrent.

Where can i find the official change log?
  • base is awesome classic sux that there is pretty much the jist of it.
  • Base is about like what T1 would have been if they took out skiing

IIRC, wasn't skiing a sort of accidental discovery in T1? Like at some point someone figured out that bunny hopping down a slope would build up a bunch of speed at the end and it ended up a core mechanic for future games?

In any event, Kryand sums it up quite well. Classic is faster than Base.
    Yeah exactly, that's why I say Base is Tribes without skiing. Tribes was originally not supposed to have skiing, but Dynamix made the smart call with T1 and left it in instead of patching it out. Then with T2 they decided to try again at making their original game idea of Tribes as a super-slow, vehicle-based game without skiing, but left in a mechanic that they called skiing just out of obligation. They completely nerfed and destroyed it to the point where it may as well not even be there.
  • Dynamix made a mod for Starsiege: Tribes that removed skiing and discjumping.

Long story short, there are absolutely zero servers running it.