Tribes Next and Tribes Bouncer

I have Tribes Next but I know of servers that use Tribes Bouncer. ANyway I can enter there IP so it will show on my list?

Comments

• yep they will show up.
  • You can press the 'Insert' key when viewing the server list and manually add their IP, or convince the Bouncer hosts to switch to TribesNext ;)
  • convince the Bouncer hosts to switch to TribesNext ;)

I second this!
  • First they would have to realize the fact that they could rather easily make their "exclusive" system compatible with TribesNext - in fact the conversion could probably be made in about 20 minutes. I know because I did it in about 20 minutes a couple days after TribesNext was released. Therefore their system has literally no benefit over TribesNext and a huge amount of drawbacks.

Whatever though, it's not like saying it for the 10th time will get it through to them. Especially since the three main server hosts using that system are a person who can't fix any of his server's problems even when the solutions are handed to him on a silver platter, a guy who refuses to use any system unless his name is in the credits, and a guy who thinks sending a bot into a server for 5 seconds to help inform players about the imminent shut-down of the auth server is "guerrilla tactics".
  • First they would have to realize the fact that they could rather easily make their "exclusive" system compatible with TribesNext - in fact the conversion could probably be made in about 20 minutes. I know because I did it in about 20 minutes a couple days after TribesNext was released. Therefore their system has literally no benefit over TribesNext and a huge amount of drawbacks.

Whatever though, it's not like saying it for the 10th time will get it through to them. Especially since the three main server hosts using that system are a person who can't fix any of his server's problems even when the solutions are handed to him on a silver platter, a guy who refuses to use any system unless his name is in the credits, and a guy who thinks sending a bot into a server for 5 seconds to help inform players about the imminent shut-down of the auth server is "guerrilla tactics".
    I dont think it was just your "guerrilla tactics" in the case of Ewo.In fact I know its not that might be part of the reason.But one of the reasons they didnt follow up with you guys was the fact that on some other site you bitched at and made fun the wife of the owner of that server.I know because she linked me to it.
    Not the best way of trying to get someone on board with the program IMO.
  • Not that Kryand had anything to do with the development of TribesNext beyond suggesting some things in the open development status and design thread. I had a number of surprisingly libelous and derogatory comments directed at me from the sidelines too. Since those comments were not initially repeated by the people responsible for the development of Bouncer, I kept objective, and focused on the technical merits of my design.

The people supporting Bouncer, however, are uninterested in any rational arguments about why they should switch. They know about the technical and security problems with their system. They know that they are just as guilty of violating the EULA of the game as we are. Their arguments have changed slightly over time, and are covering a wide range of reasons, which is indicative of looking for plausible reasons, rather than having a real one.

When they drop the whole "TribesNext uses illegal hacker methods, violates the EULA, kills kittens" mantra, maybe they'll also be mature enough to realize how irrational they have been.

In any case, the masses have spoken. As far as new player registrations, we're two orders of magnitude larger. As far as players online, we have consistently more players off peak times (i.e. middle of the night in the USA timezones) than all of the combined Bouncer servers have at peak hours (Friday Night, USA timezones); Goon Haven is largely why.

Our installation process is simpler; you click a few "Next" and "Finish" buttons as fully documented in a 16 screenshot installation process; Bouncer requires placing scripts in the right places, and editing shortcuts. Granted, we do have activity on the support forum (the majority of problems have been answered in the FAQs), but the number of people posting in that support forum is under half a percent of the number of users who have successfully generated accounts and were playing. That's beyond 2 sigma.

If it was a contest between the two, we won in number of users, ease of use, marketing, accessibility, technical design, search engine optimization. We now have momentum too. That doesn't even mention the number of Bouncer users who also have TN accounts (a lot of them are smurfed).

But, as the Bouncer people like to say, it's not a competition. It's not hard to see why.
  • I dont think it was just your "guerrilla tactics" in the case of Ewo.In fact I know its not that might be part of the reason.But one of the reasons they didnt follow up with you guys was the fact that on some other site you bitched at and made fun the wife of the owner of that server.I know because she linked me to it.
    Not the best way of trying to get someone on board with the program IMO.
    Oh man that's so awesome if that's true. If so, it means that I am the reason that both Rebels and EWO have chosen to doom their own servers by avoiding TribesNext. I single-handedly caused the trash to remove itself from T2.
  • I single-handedly caused the trash to remove itself from T2.
    You're still here. :P

Back to the topic at hand, if you're too lazy to "inject" the addresses manually (and then favorite them), you could graft a bouncer-query to the TribesNext listing script (scripts/autoexec/t2csri_listing.cs, I believe), or pay somebody else to do so...
  • I just dont see the insert button lol...
  • Insert, on the keyboard.
  • On your keyboard: under "Print Screen" and ower "Delete"... between "Backspace" and "Home"
  • aka "Ins"