Tribes: Vengeance

I have a question.

does tribes vengeance suck?

I've heard a lot of people put it down, but I was looking at a few youtube videos and it looked cool. If anybody's played it, let me know how it was, I'm kind of curious.

Comments

• Anything can look cool in YouTube videos. If you play T2, there's no reason to play T:V. It's worse in every way and was a disappointment to everyone, except those who never played either of the first two games to begin with.
  • multiplayer was not as good as the first 2. But the single player was actually a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the missions with the sniper.
  • Single player wasn't bad, was about eight hours for me on the first run but second run could obviously pare that down a lot. The animations were a little jittery at times, lip syncing could have improved, overall wasn't bad. Victoria pissed me off (bitchy little princess, waaaa), the other characters got a healthy amount of development, even if you could see the "twist" coming a mile away. Also the ending feels Gainaxed.

Invo system was nerfed, IMO. Oh sure you could walk up to a station and hold a button while navigating to your loadout, but it's still slower than T2 where you pick loadout before your station, and the actual equipping only takes about two seconds. Mines were completely nerfed, and turrets were just done badly. The repair deployable is a very nice idea, would like to see that in mainstream T2, but otherwise just an extra. The "emergency stations" containing a repair pack for easy retrieval is a nice plus.

Eye candy is plentiful. To its credit, the graphics are quite nice, and the higher-quality sounds are always a plus with me. But, you can rip the sounds and put them in T2, and the rest is just extra fluff.

Control points took an unidentified length of time to cap, instead of instant one-touch control, and an enemy player in the area meant no one controlled the point. Flag emitting smoke is an interesting idea, but otherwise the flag was lame. I shouldn't be scrolling through weapons and come upon the flag. Vehicles were heavily nerfed, especially with the inability to spawn one on demand.

Never did the multiplayer. I bought T:V for about $4 a few years ago, and it still doesn't appear that there's anyone there. Kryand's got the point nailed: T2 is simply better in all respects.
  • Best way i can put this is like... Tribes 1 & 2 being NFL football, and Tribes:V being like arena football.

The action was a bit more intense in T:V but it was a little too fastpace. I really enjoy it as a heavy, but ehhh. Im not sure man, T:V was really missing something...It felt good but I think visually scaling seemed off.
  • I bought it last week and made it to about the 10th mission or so, and through about a round and a half in multiplayer before I uninstalled it.
  • Played the alpha and beta of T2 and TV...

T2's alpha was totally screwed up (which is expected) the beta was a little better but there was definitely some bad stuff going on. Game release wasn't too bad just a lot of bugs.

TV was bad to begin with... the alpha version had T2 base butterfly effects and it just wasn't freakin smooth. Beta showed signs of people just deleting code cause it was only worse. My rain of supporting and purchasing Tribes games came to an end at this point as I refused to by this terrible UT clone.

That sums it up... Still never bought TV and probably never will. I still enjoy T1 on occasion though I wish there where some insomniax servers left with people on them. T2... I'll be playing till the end of days... on and off.
  • Tv is good if you just want to have fun with some friends. Great art, poor choice in api and engine. I love darkstar, torque, and opengl, more or less despise d3d and the ut engine... But I still pop into my tv server for a quick blast every once in a while, to find it almost always populated by Poles, tv is the national game of Poland right now.
  • Has another problem it Crashes a hell of alot of the time the System Core engine is crap
    if they were going to bring out a Tribes 4 i better not Crash a dam alot T:V would Crash about 7 times before you could run it. >:(
  • Has another problem it Crashes a hell of alot of the time the System Core engine is crap
    if they were going to bring out a Tribes 4 i better not Crash a dam alot T:V would Crash about 7 times before you could run it. >:(

Contrary to your experience, I managed to run the entire single player campaign in one sitting without it crashing once. It takes forever to start, however.
  • edited May 2009
    imho T:V isn't that bad. ok it is not comparable to T2 in terms of deepness of the gameplay but still it has some nice features. it was given up to early by both the devs and the community. i would say it is more reallife compatible (less train, little less fun) ;-)
    compared to this days ea crap it still rox.

ps: crashes i have a lot more with T2 this days. it was a lot more stable on my old AMD K5
    in the good old days ;-)
  • Tribes: V would have been an excellent stand alone title. But to try and tie it in with the awesomeness that is Tribes and Tribes 2 was an abysmal failure on Vivendi's behalf.

Now if you've never played the first two, Vengeance is alright.
  • I only played T:V a little bit - it was either the demo or the beta. It just wasn't tribes - it felt like they took a standard FPS and slapped on some jetpacks and deployables. It lacked the epic-sized maps and huge teams. The net code sucked. IIRC, there was some sort of time/speed cheat that was so easy that I ran into it on almost every server.

It probably would have sold a few more copies if they named it something else so people wouldn't have been so disappointed.
  • I have scara, beggars, kata, raindance, and roller installed in my tv server. They were made to scale with their t1/2 heritage. Most folks who play only tv think those classic maps are far too big. They are missing out on an element of tribes that was sacrificed so as to run the shoddy ut engine. TV, great art, poor engine.
  • You have a T:V server?
  • I played it. It was different enough from t2 that I did not like it. I'm sure it would be entertaining if you're willing to put the time into it. Many controls are the same, but the flying is definitely different.
  • I bought T:V and agreed with most here that the game looks great, but the maps are wayyyyy to small . It didn't look or feel the same way in terms of gameplay ...and the single player was just an extended tutorial. Hence the return to T1/2 . I have both on my PC .
  • edited May 2009
    Tv is good if you just want to have fun with some friends. Great art, poor choice in api and engine. I love darkstar, torque, and opengl, more or less despise d3d and the ut engine... But I still pop into my tv server for a quick blast every once in a while, to find it almost always populated by Poles, tv is the national game of Poland right now.

The art at the begining alpha stage was nice and well done. Then during the beta victoria was changed, and drawn as a tranny! Dont mention the game box cover. All white with alittle writing, no pictures.

The game was rushed out the door and wasnt finished. Thou the single player was done well atleast the publisher upon hearing this sent the game out unfinished if I remember correctly.

Was enough for me not to buy it ,net code was a pig too, made it difficult to have online server from home.
  • If I'm not mistaken, there may be a demo available. It was available upon the games release which is when I tried it, but I can't prove or disprove whether or not it's still available. I would start with that if you can before purchasing on paypal because the gameplay really is different than t2.
  • It will play on an old p4 or athlonxp chip, and a gf4
  • Yeah not much people playing, still some though. 10 people usually on at any given time. It's smaller scale and faster paced than tribes 2, just saying, and it runs on a Geforce 4 MX (Which has no Pixel shader support -.- No purdy graphics for me)
  • As to shading, there's not a lot in tv, kinda like in t2. You miss out on the fancy water surface effects, and the not-realistic-at-all too-shiny concrete surfaces in many maps, but that's about it. Sure, all the concrete around here is shiny, yours isnt?

I had 10 players in my tv server yesterday, and 2 of them were busy the whole time they were connected tking and base killing till I went in and checked out how it was running. Now if everyone was just goofing around I wouldn't have cared, but the rest of the players were trying to play a game. So these guys got binned. It reminded me of goons, lol.
  • That server that used to be there, Yoshi's Paradise reminded me of goons the most. I can't really go into the T:V community anymore. I said i liked T2 slightly better and then FUCK YOU GO PLAY T2 THEN.
  • WTF ??? is this using the same master server ? or is this kind of a standalone game ?