Game occaisonally sticks.

I've had Tribes 2 on my laptop and older computer, and all I ever got was unhandled exceptions. I just recently got an awesome gaming desktop, and it has Windows Vista 64 bit. It seems once every minute or so the screen freezes for just a second, usually costing me my life. It seems to happen most when something is going on, like a crash or explosion or me dieing. It happens in Full and Windowed modes. I've tried changing my settings, and when I put everything on super low then it doesn't do it, but the game looks ugly. Also, I really wanted to use my Nvideo 8600 GT graphics card to its fullest potential. Any tips?

Comments

• Your super awesome gaming desktop probably has duel cores. Try one of these solutions.
  • Doesn't sound like an affinity problem. Affinity issues result in jitters from the scheduling across the CPUs on the system, which happens several times per second.

I've noticed similar behavior in my Thinkpad, where the game momentarily freezes. From my experience, it usually happens on a drive access that's been delayed for an uncached resource (i.e. audio file).
  • Your super awesome gaming desktop probably has duel cores. Try one of these solutions.
    LOL Actually I believe it has 4. This is my processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

Should I still follow the directions in that link?
  • Doesn't sound like an affinity problem. Affinity issues result in jitters from the scheduling across the CPUs on the system, which happens several times per second.

I've noticed similar behavior in my Thinkpad, where the game momentarily freezes. From my experience, it usually happens on a drive access that's been delayed for an uncached resource (i.e. audio file).

So English please? I have OSIRIS voice packs on, if those make any difference.

lol this sucks, I played Tribes 2 back in 2003 or 2004 when I had dial up. I finally got highspeed Internet, and started playing again, but I kept getting Unhandled Exceptions and Tribes 2 was almost dead. Then I got a desktop and played in Windowed mode fine. Now I have an awesome machine and it might be too awesome to play Tribes 2
  • Should I still follow the directions in that link?
    Won't hurt if you try this one.

• Won't hurt if you try this one.
    Didn't work
  • none of thsoe thigns worked
  • Well I'm still having the problem. I made a quick and hasty video showing some Tribes 2 gameplay. I'm trying to use it to get more people interested in Tribes. If you watch it, you can see the problem I'm talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvikgXkDi98&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
    I auto linked it in High Quality mode

You can see what I'm talking about at times:
    0:16
    0:35
    1:13
    and some other times too
  • Hmm. Something like that was going on with nvidia cards some time back that was fixed with a driver, the g80 cores seemed to suffer from it when they first came along. Also, try playing without the game music and see if it's any better. And set the affinity; a 4 holer will surely have more thread and cache thrashing issues than a 2 holer. You might post your clientprefs.
  • lol English please? I can try the game music off, I hope that's not the problem though. The music is awesome ::)
  • Any more suggestions?
  • I have the same problem and the only thing that I found that works as a temp fix is to reinstall the game. It worked for me for a bout a day or two. My problem used to be punkbusterB. I dont know if punkbusterA would be doning anything I will try turning off punkbusterA and see if it does anything.
  • I have Punkbuster for Battlefield 2. How can I tell my version?
  • mycomputer\c\windows\system32\logfiles\punkbuster
  • I have a PnkBstrA.log and a PnkBstrB.log in that folder
  • any other suggestions?
  • I still have this problem. It ruins standoffs
  • Ok, I just recently noticed my sound was gone from certain parts of games and wondered wtf. Then i called up task manager and saw pba and pbb were both up. Wtf. When I installed AA3 pb decided to run at system startup wether I wanted to play a pb game or not.

This is really poor coding.

Really poor.

Really and truly wtf poor.

So I went into services and set them (punkbusters) both to manual rather than automatic startup. Another way around this is to simply stop the processes in the process tab with task manager before you start the game. Freaking punkbuster.

ps

t2 doesnt use pb
  • Punkbuster is a really sucky program. Make sure it's disabled completely when you play Tribes 2. I can sometimes interfere.
  • So I should disable PunkBuster whenever I play Tribes?
  • You didn't say if you had all the TN updates? if no try it
  • what's the TN updates?
  • He means, make sure your TribesNext is up to date!