Stat Tracking

VGH

For those who have asked for a stat tracking script, where your kills/deaths/suicides/favorite weapons/tea parties are all recorded and listed for others to see. I bring good news, I'm beginning works on a plugin that will do just that.

Some may remember such a script way back when, but support for it has all but evaporated.

The new plugin, i'm calling, Stat_Track, will be a Vl2 that is simply placed in the base folder.

The basic outline of the plugin will be a CS (client-side) script that will read client message callbacks for deaths/kills, attempt to recognize the tool of destruction, and store the data until a map change or disconnect from the server, then transmitting the data to a remote website; Where players can look up their, and others, stats by inputting the player's name.

Once the great fellas in-charge of TribesNext reactivate the browser, i'll add in browser based stat tracking, and clan tracking on the website and browser.

I'm posting this announcement now, to get peoples thoughts and comments ahead of time, so they can be better recognized and considered.

Please post any question, concerns or suggestions. :)

Comments

• How will you prevent stat abuse? I.e. people that edit your script to double the number of reported kills?
  • You can't really, but it doesn't matter much.

I still have some old stat-tracking scripts if you want them (to look over them or whatever).
  • There's a few ways that would make it more difficult to hack, but it's more intensive than it's really worth.
  • Just playing devil's advocate.
  • I'm more interested in the kill count tracker for personal use. Who cares how many MA's I nailed with a spinfusor, or how distant the shot was besides me? I want the stats to be legit for myself.

Also, it's very possible for a T2 player to have a fantastic kill ratio, but still be a terrible Tribes CTF player.
  • Once the great fellas in-charge of TribesNext reactivate the browser, i'll add in browser based stat tracking, and clan tracking on the website and browser.

Just make sure that it doesn't update on the browser every time they leave the game. I remember this being a problem with PJ's stat tracking script. Maybe this server is more reliable and there's not nearly as many people, but better safe than sorry.
  • How will you prevent stat abuse?

Data sent to the webserver will be encrypted, which means, sadly, some of the plugin will be closed source.
    I'm more interested in the kill count tracker for personal use. Who cares how many MA's I nailed with a spinfusor, or how distant the shot was besides me? I want the stats to be legit for myself.

Thats exactly why i used PJ's script back in 2005. I used it as a way to show myself i actually was improving.
    Also, it's very possible for a T2 player to have a fantastic kill ratio, but still be a terrible Tribes CTF player.

Exactly, people who view your personal info (if you want them too, i'm going to add in a hidden-stat setting) can take from your stats what they wish.
    Actually, thinking about it, i'll also include most played gametypes. :)
    There's a few ways that would make it more difficult to hack, but it's more intensive than it's really worth.
    You can't really, but it doesn't matter much.

I still have some old stat-tracking scripts if you want them (to look over them or whatever).

Thanks, but i'm using this project as a way to improve my personal coding skills, and want to accomplish my goals without assistance.
  • I'll add 31 million, 337 thousand kills to my account.
  • Be really fun to add in the name of every player killed, the server you killed them on, and the date and time of each kill.
  • I'll add 31 million, 337 thousand kills to my account.
    "eleetooo"? Or is that meant to be read "elite, ooo /sarcasm"

I like the PJ stats that shows my top ten killers and victims, but more the "total" number, which I don't modify (or... know how to...). As the number is going up on its own, I know that I'm actually getting something right.
  • Be really fun to add in the name of every player killed, the server you killed them on, and the date and time of each kill.

Lol, i wouldn't have room in my database for such detail.
  • What's the point of uploading to a master server? I would say client side stats would be more than sufficiant for those collecting data. Stat's won't prove anything to other players anyhow; aside from personal use.

Also, how in depth would this be? I wouldn't mind a per-session rather than a running total with lots of information about my collective progress.

Ex: Playing lak I would be increasing my SL ability. Score the amount of hits, distances, normal and back hits, against whom and against me (killed by whom and what).

- This would collect massive amounts of information at continuous intervals, but would prove usefull for judging your own progress depending on where you play.
    - The ability to control when you have the script running and not running would also be nice. Perhaps that's asking for much more work than needed?

I wouldn't be running this aside from Matches, Scrims, etc. No reason to track PUBs, at least for me.
  • What's the point of uploading to a master server? I would say client side stats would be more than sufficiant for those collecting data. Stat's won't prove anything to other players anyhow; aside from personal use.

You can use the info however you like.
    -Fill a personal dmg quota.
    -Prove to other people that you really are VGTG
    -Show your worth to prospecting clans

If someone sees 100 kills and 300 deaths, they can go ahead and think you suck, it's the viewers choice if they want to consider your 21424 flag caps, or 10,000 lak rabbit points.
    Also, how in depth would this be? I wouldn't mind a per-session rather than a running total with lots of information about my collective progress.

It will store any data i can derive from Client callbacks.
    sooo...
    -MA's (distance/weapon)
    -Total dmg done by a weapon/vehicle
    -Individual kills with said weapon/vehicle
    -Suicides
    -Tks
    -Caps
    -Total Points
    -Most played GameType/RuleSet
    -Bots whacked (so someone doesn't get hella points from killing bots)
    -Times killed by something silly
    -Enemy base objects killed
    -Deployables killed
    -And much more.

I might also include an option to view data sent within the last day
    or have an average per hour.
    IE. If you're playing 3 hours a day, for a 2 days, it will show your average for 6 hours.
    I wouldn't be running this aside from Matches, Scrims, etc. No reason to track PUBs, at least for me.

The script will run at all times, (unless of course you copy and paste it out of your base directory) this is to keep people from padding their kills, and only activating it when they're playing with a good team.

I will be, however, including partitioning of data collected in different gametypes/rulesets. So, there will be an option to view only your stats from lak games/CTF/Arena/Duel.
  • Would it be able to show me only specific information from a map I've played though? I'd like to review by map and date.

And thanks. I'll get to see how much time I've "wasted" played T2 :P
  • Lol.

I doubt i'll be able to achieve such detail, as that would use a lot of database space. Even storing the points collected on seperate gametypes will use a ton of space.

I can, however, create a clientside cache of detailed data. :)
    But only the basics will be sent to the remote server.

Perhaps i can create a hybrid of both for the Browser.
  • Ha. Figured it was lots of work.

However I wouldn't mind seeing something like it. Not sure if it would be possible to link with demo's either. Let me know if you want a hand?
  • Not sure if it would be possible to link with demo's either. Let me know if you want a hand?

I started work on it last night, so far i've read the total damage and total kills/deaths/tks/suicides (based on my data i'm not going to use the mortar anymore, lol) from one map with seperate weapons, and was able to reference it with map end data and had everything check out.

Today i'm going to write the MA/Headshot/Silly deaths and partition the data between gametype and date.

The online factor won't be started for some time, as i have to write the extensive back-end.

When i need to start testing the online, i'll give you a call,

I'll release an offline version some-time soon.
  • Alviss, if you want some help, I worked on a stat parser for server logs back in the day, and I wouldn't mind helping with and/or hosting a database for you.

If you're interested, send me a PM.
  • Any way to add in things like kills from turrets you deployed, or objects repaired, or...you know, support type stuff for those of us that suck in combat so focus on other roles?
  • Alviss, if you want some help, I worked on a stat parser for server logs back in the day, and I wouldn't mind helping with and/or hosting a database for you.

If you're interested, send me a PM.

Thanks but i have a webserver, and database available, thanks to Krash. :)
    Any way to add in things like kills from turrets you deployed, or objects repaired, or...you know, support type stuff for those of us that suck in combat so focus on other roles?

Absolutely, i believe i can even add in repaired objects. :)
    When you repair a Base Object/Deployable/Even another player (i think).
    A message is sent to you, telling you, you repaired such and such.
  • edited January 2009
    I find it hard to believe that a system like this is possible without being highly insecure. There are soooo many ways to inflate your own stats using any sort of global stat tracking, and I would say it's not even possible to stop them all. You certainly won't find me trying to do it.

I could always use a 512 bit ruby crypt. xD

But seriously, there really is a ton of ways to spoof a server msg callback so perhaps i'll keep client stat tracking on the client-side.
    I wrote a script that outputs stats of each map to XML when enabled. From there, you can do what you want with the XML files. If you want it, let me know. At the moment it only works with CTF.

Thats kinda cool, i know the old -MV- server had such a script. Perhaps i could get my hands on it and modify it to fit my needs?

I could have stats collected on the server-side transmitted to my remote-website, but then players could simply spoof a server message...

Hmm, maybe i'll keep the two types seperate.

Anyway, heres the first proper, error free, Damage Report write out. :)
    "Stat_Track" Player Damage Report
    "Stat_Track" version : 0.01 A
    =======================================================
    Player name   : Alviss
    Date Compiled: 2009/01/29
    Time Compiled: 10:39 pm
    Server name  : Goon Haven
    Mod             : Classic
    Game type    : Capture the Flag
    Map name     : 47th Air Division
    Total Players : 54

Total Score 33 
    Total Kills 3
    Suicides : 0
    Teamkills : 1
    Deaths : 4

Weapon : mortar [Kills : 2]
    Weapon : chaingun [Kills : 1]

Favorite Weapon : mortar
    Favorite Victim : Denalin- [Killed 2 times]
    Nemesis : blindkilla [Killed you 3 times]

I was defending the Gens. :)

Now to add in the Logistics portion of the report. repairs/rapes/vehicles and such.
  • I could always use a 512 bit ruby crypt. xD
    I know you're being facetious, but, improper application of cryptography doesn't add to security.

Still... the Damage Report output is looking good.
  • I know you're being facetious, but, improper application of cryptography doesn't add to security.

Still... the Damage Report output is looking good.

Lol, thanks Thyth.

I've decided to just have client stat tracking on the Client-side and generate a XML file, then the server can do with it what it wills.
  • I think that i have seen this some were.... Ahhh well good idea Alviss ;)
  • You can't really, but it doesn't matter much.

You want to post them? I need (want) one :)
  • You should probably search Kryand's copy of Sling scripts, the only one I know of that I have is this: http://gamefiles.androctasiae.net/tribes2/scripts/-CDL-FOX(V)/CDL_Kill_Stats_Server.zip

I don't even know if it works (or what it does).
    My interest lies in server stats, not client-side trackers.