This might sound crazy...

Well, this might sound crazy.

But bear with me.

Several (ahem) years ago, I waited eagerly at a CompUSA to get the latest release of the tribes series. When tribes 2 finally hit shelves I rushed home to play what would be the most influential game I have ever had the privelege of devoting myself to. I am proud to say that since then I have recently graduated from The University of Central Florida with a degree in Game Design. I am currently persuing a Graduate Study in advertising specific to video games. Sometime last month I was perusing the web looking for design ideas when I discovered Tribes 2 multiplayer was still running! It was absolutely wonderful to see what a dedicated community could do to keep their favorite game alive. The fast paced and evolving gameplay of Tribes is something that has been lost in the video game world. I would like to change that.

But this is the crazy part.

I was wondering how interested the community would be in building a new and improved version of their beloved game. While the reputation of Tribes seemed somewhat tarnished by Vengeance, I beleive that a hardcore dedication to the prequel should not die without an active attempt to continue the true legacy of the Tribes series.

Comments

• Several then prominent people in the tribal community attempted to do this with Legends, but there proved too few people doing programming and personally I think the player models are rather ugly compared to bases and scenery. In fact Legends is still around but it's more or less dead. Might want to see if they need any help if you want to do a rebuild of Tribes.

By 'dead' I don't mean maps aren't being done for it or anything, but it seems they aren't expanding on the core assets or revamping the player models or weapons or the like.

http://legendsthegame.net/
  • No. I like my Tribes2. Only thing that I would love is more spotlight to shine upon Tribes2 that will get more people interested.
  • http://Ascension-Game.com is the closest, living community project to a remake.
  • There are plenty of volunteer people trying to remake Tribes already. Some of them are mods for other games, like Rise for Crysis and TribalWars (whatever it's called) for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Legends is a really old stand-alone one which is kinda pointless. Ascension is another stand-alone one that is still in the making - but it has been for like 5 years now, so who know if anything will ever come of it.
  • Yeah, we will just stick with TribesNext. It's not a bad start.
  • http://Ascension-Game.com is the closest, living community project to a remake.
    Its a nice looking mod from the screenshots but its no remake.I would like to try it one day.But like kryand said its been 5 years now,I think duke nukem taking forever might come out before this ever does.
  • blindkilla, you should probably leave Ascension descriptions to people that have played the game.

I'll let you in on a little secret. If you are going to do a project like this correctly with a small number of people, it takes a long time. It takes professionally made games with big budgets a long time to be made.

Also, it hasn't been 5 years. You're wrong or you just can't count. We announced Ascension March 2006, so it's been a little over 3 years.
  • Umm, I'm not sure it when it the Ascension project was first announced. I know and respect several of the people associated with the project. But I do remember the un-lubricated pounding the project received on TribalWar.com.
  • Umm, I'm not sure it when it the Ascension project was first announced.
    We announced Ascension March 2006, so it's been a little over 3 years.
  • Umm, I'm not sure it when it the Ascension project was first announced.
    We announced Ascension March 2006, so it's been a little over 3 years.
    ... I do remember the un-lubricated pounding the project received on TribalWar.com.
  • Yeah, we've established you're being rude. I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.
  • who's we, teratos?
    You and Obama?
    hmmm....
  • who's we, teratos?
    You and Obama?
    hmmm....
    you should try this thing called "adding to the conversation"
  • who's we, teratos?
    You and Obama?
    hmmm....
    you should try this thing called "adding to the conversation"

pic_unrelated.preview.jpg
  • blindkilla, you should probably leave Ascension descriptions to people that have played the game.

I'll let you in on a little secret. If you are going to do a project like this correctly with a small number of people, it takes a long time. It takes professionally made games with big budgets a long time to be made.

Also, it hasn't been 5 years. You're wrong or you just can't count. We announced Ascension March 2006, so it's been a little over 3 years.
    It was definitely before 2006. I remember hearing about a project in development by RenWerX back when T:V was still fresh.

It was definitely before 2006. I remember hearing about a project in development by RenWerX back when T:V was still fresh.

That got canceled. Plus it was a Renegades MOD for T:V.

dude dont get all butt hurtI actually said it was a nice looking mod .I just stated what was told to me buy someone who worked on the project with you and has played it.So excuse me its been almost 4 years not 5 sorry.You may now remove the stick from your ass.Ill say for a PR man you do a really shitty job but I figured that comming from you.

dude dont get all butt hurtI actually said it was a nice looking mod .I just stated what was told to me buy someone who worked on the project with you and has played it.So excuse me its been almost 4 years not 5 sorry.You may now remove the stick from your ass.Ill say for a PR man you do a really shitty job but I figured that comming from you.
    I explained something to you. You're the one swearing and insulting people (as always).
    Ascension is no more :( thats to bad
    That's false information. If you would take the time to read this thread, you could see that Ascension is being worked on as we speak.

I explained something to you. You're the one swearing and insulting people (as always).
    Ascension is no more :( thats to bad
    That's false information. If you would take the time to read this thread, you could see that Ascension is being worked on as we speak.
    No you were being A smart ass as always.I actually said something nice about your project.Yes I did say it was taking along time but from what was told to me by someone working on the project with you that might be because the guys working on it were put on other projects?They told me the project was more like a recruiting tool to get people to work for them or find jobs for them.
    If this is true who knows but if your finding people jobs hell thats pretty nice.Just because you dont like me and believe me the feeling is mutual you choose to jump my shit for pretty much repeating what was said in a post above hmmm why is that?Its ok though have your little spaz attack it was getting a bit boring around here anyway you always provide many laughs and enjoyment.
  • If you're saying that RenWerX/Ascension has led to jobs in the gaming industry, then you are correct.
  • teratos can i check out the game so fare ?
    Last I knew, the game was alpha-stage (at best), and internal release only
  • Let's avoid a flame-war guys, I was just asking the communities support.

I followed all the references you guys posted, thanks for the help.

I also reviewed all the mods and stand-alone games that you guys alluded to and Ascension seems my best bet. Let me clarify what I was posting about previously.

While I have obtained the skill set necessary to program and develop a stand-alone game, I was wondering what the community thought about having a new game released by a professional publisher. In 8 months I will be presenting a concept for a new game to EA Games (fingers crossed). I of course have my own projects that I have been developing throughout my collegiate experience but I am curious about the Tribes series. It seems that intense community support coupled with a beautifully programmed game could be a big hit in the near future. I will not be pushing a new series of Tribes on my professional debut, but if I am entering the industry I would not dare to forget the game that made me choose this career.
  • teratos can i check out the game so fare ?
    Right now we have a limited group of outside testers. If you want to join that group, you can fill out the application on the Ascension website ( http://ascension-game.com/index.php/mod/index.php/mod/static/page/TestingProgram.html ), or you can wait until we open it to a larger group.

Right now, applicants that are selected do as much writing about balance and bugs as they do playing. When we go to an open beta it should be more about playing and less about writing.
  • edited June 2009
    Unless there is a full out commercially developed Tribes game most homebrewed Tribes like games wont really garner a lot of attention. I respect the people that make these homebrewed games, but tha'ts just the reality.

You could try Legions, but I think after playing Tribes 2 then trying Legions youre going to find Legions is a very empty minimal game compared to Tribes 2 in its current state.

TribesNext is where its at if you truly want to play Tribes 2.
  • Yeah, we've established you're being rude. I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.

OMG, if you think I was being rude, then you are thin skinned. You seem to like making your point by quoting others, which to some is rude. When I respond in kind, you call me rude... ?

I remember hearing about a your group's project a couple years before the year you claim, and I'm positive Kryand knows this too. Perhaps that was people opening their mouths before they should have... IDK; but your project was discussed on several websites and not some renegades bullshit either, it was Acension! I knew I should have made pdf's out of thos discussion pages when I saw them.

Anyway; what I do know is how excited the community was about that project which was active at the same time as Legends, and I believe Starsiege. And I remember the disappointment and verbal abuse your project received at Tribalwar when it was revealed. That's not a rude assessment, just the truth. As always, I wish your project success.
  • It amazes me how arrogant some of you are in your ignorance.

I was part of the group that chose the name, wrote the press release, and posted it. I know when it was posted (heck, there's even a date on the post). I also know it was first posted on the RenWerX site (as access to the release was extremely limited - only a few people on the team had seen it).

As I already explained, people are confusing past projects with Ascension. No need to think you've discovered a conspiracy.
  • It amazes me how arrogant some of you are in your ignorance.

I was part of the group that chose the name, wrote the press release, and posted it. I know when it was posted (heck, there's even a date on the post). I also know it was first posted on the RenWerX site (as access to the release was extremely limited - only a few people on the team had seen it).

As I already explained, people are confusing past projects with Ascension. No need to think you've discovered a conspiracy.

You maybe right, but I think not... and this isn't arrogance, just a good memory and the will to voice my opinion.

The player models and screenshots looked the same as Volitant Assault, and that's why the project was hammered at tribalwar. It's the same development that everyone was excited about well before 2006. The company took the same development, put a new name on it, added some new peeps and some imagery.

As I stated before, I wish your project success. I know some people associated with the project and I want you all to succeed.

http://www.aboutus.org/Renwerx.com

http://www.clancobra.org/forum/search.php?search_author=NextGen&sid=c8768f731a4b872e63f748170cc99dbb

I'm sure I could find more links. but this is enough in case someone else wishes to dig deeper.
  • I remember when BugsPray was the PR guy for what eventually became Ascension. I'm pretty sure he stopped being the PR guy while I still played T2 with him, and I haven't played with him since early 2006. He was the PR guy for at least a year before that. I'm 97% sure that I am not confusing Ascension with anything - it really has been in development for at least 5 years.
  • I remember when BugsPray was the PR guy for what eventually became Ascension. I'm pretty sure he stopped being the PR guy while I still played T2 with him, and I haven't played with him since early 2006. He was the PR guy for at least a year before that. I'm 97% sure that I am not confusing Ascension with anything - it really has been in development for at least 5 years.
    Not exactly, Bugs was never "the PR guy". For awhile he was supposed to be an assistant, but he never really did anything to my knowledge (not knocking him, I think he's a pretty good guy). At no point was Bugs ever "the PR" guy though. In the old days a Renegades guy did it, then the wife of a TW guy, then a shifter player (this was the time Bugs was around), and finally myself. Bugs joined the project at the end of 2005.

The Volitant Assault project was a Renegades like game on TGE that was dropped.
    None of the code was reused. I also think the artwork was either scrapped or eventually replaced. We just moved straight from that project to Ascension. Volitant Assault was designed by guys building a Renegades game, it wouldn't have been very moddable and it didn't play like (or have the same assets as) Ascension.
  • edited June 2009
    It amazes me how arrogant some of you are in your ignorance.

I thought you Ascension people got all mad about the support for TGEA (no more atlas engine etc)as Garage Games has shifted all efforts to their newer Torque 3D engine and stopped support for features in TGEA?

Maybe you might take some of the replies as an indicator that people have no clue what is going on with Ascension based on the way you guys present information to the public about the status of the project.

Your communication on that site is no different then the confusing way Garage Games doles out information regarding Legions. Information is spread out all over the place in a myriad of different forum threads, blogs etc. You should make that info clear right from the get go on your homepage.

While I have obtained the skill set necessary to program and develop a stand-alone game, I was wondering what the community thought about having a new game released by a professional publisher. In 8 months I will be presenting a concept for a new game to EA Games (fingers crossed). I of course have my own projects that I have been developing throughout my collegiate experience but I am curious about the Tribes series. It seems that intense community support coupled with a beautifully programmed game could be a big hit in the near future. I will not be pushing a new series of Tribes on my professional debut, but if I am entering the industry I would not dare to forget the game that made me choose this career.

BenStratton I think a lot of people would love a new Tribes game, but the key here is that I said "Tribes" not another Tribes like game or something similar to Tribes. People have been waiting years for a new Tribes game. Tribes 2 was a great game but if you know the history it launched badly and unfortunately fractured the fanbase. Tribes 2 was only fixed after fans of the game got involved and made update changes. Tribes Vengeance completely destroyed the games momentum with its fanbase. Garage Games now owns the Tribes IP. Maybe get involved with them. I know they talk Legions now, but I think the future for Garage games may include a shiny new Tribes game on their newest Torque engine in a couple years. I think Legions is just the in between because its already in the works and they want a big title to promote their games in a browser model. They only found out midway through development of Legions that the company acquired the IP. If they knew that beforehand, they probably would have just built Tribes in a browser and saved us all from Legions which is just re-engineering Tribes without calling it Tribes and making quirky little changes to differentiate it.

And yes people I know all about playtribes.com. The problem here is that we are talking about a new Tribes game on an enhanced engine with enhanced graphics versus porting the old Tribes 1 game from 1998 playable in a browser.