Ragdoll Metaphysics: A Love Letter To The Good Old Fashioned Jet Pack

A nice little article about one of the things that made tribes great and stand above all the games out there.http://www.offworld.com/2009/08/ragdoll-metaphysics-a-love-let.html ;D

Comments

• Interesting, although someone should smack him for insulting Tribes' physics and then saying T:V was good.
  • He must be one of those retarded mainstream gamers. He's trying to say "GRAPHIX R BETER LOL", but he's also trying to disguise it by making vague remarks about physics.
  • A nice little article about one of the things that made tribes great and stand above all the games out there.http://www.offworld.com/2009/08/ragdoll-metaphysics-a-love-let.html ;D
    Actually, it seems to be about jetpacks, with Starsiege: Tribes getting a single paragraph.
  • ummm yeah hence the title of the thread.I think and many people will agree that jetpacks is ONE of the things that made tribes great.
  • ummm yeah hence the title of the thread.I think and many people will agree that jetpacks is ONE of the things that made tribes great.
    But it didn't seem to "stand out" to the author of this article...hence my point.
  • edited August 2009
    ummm yeah hence the title of the thread.I think and many people will agree that jetpacks is ONE of the things that made tribes great.
    But it didn't seem to "stand out" to the author of this article...hence my point.
    standout I think this might qualify.

Tribes, meanwhile, created a canon for jet packs in multiplayer gaming that continues to this very day in games like Section 8 and Instant Action's Fallen Empire: Legions. The Tribes physics were never quite right - I think everyone admits that - but it nevertheless created a joyously smooth and inertia-driven motion that led to unique swooping, leaping semi-aerial combat.

but what I was trying to say this article is about jetpacks in general not just the ones in tribes.
  • edited August 2009
    Good find thanks. I think its funny that all of a sudden it a big topic of discussion in the gaming world that maybe people are starting to prefer the larger mulitplayer aspect of games versus the single player. Ya think? Not to downlplay a good single player story, but seriously they are just now starting to realize this?

Jet packs are a great concept because they can address the problem in game if you have much larger areas of play. In that article the dev of Dark Void video makes that point. I just find it funny that a lot of these guys feel like they are having a Eureka moment discovering the wonders of a jetpack when we all know it rocked since 98.

Still most of these new games that are discovering jetpacks are using them in a basic way. For me the unique aspect of the tribes jet pack isnt so much the jetpack itself but the combo of the jetpack and skiing. That is Tribes to its roots and none of these games Dark Void, Section 8 etc can compare without it. GG could really prime themselves right for a re-entry of a new Tribes game. You can see the game industry is finally catching up to that type of gameplay and the trend will probably continue. Sadly I think small little pachinko arcade like ski games on facebook are more what they are looking at.
  • you know that havoc physics (ragdoll) license is what kept tv clients out of linuxland, right?