What are all the possible roles in tribes 2 CTF?

2»

Comments

• i think what kry was trying to explain to u, as easy as a concept it was, seemed to evade ur awesome awareness skills. many of us use the the cc hud, however we do not WASTE our time just staring, we pop it up long enough to see were the immediate threats are and go about our business. it has nothing to do with cheats, but has everything to do with being a more efficent player then urself obviously. positions which prolly use it more would be light defense, light on flags, turret farmers, cappers...actually lets just say anyone that knows how to play IS using the cc for split seconds at a time and NOT dedicating a whole position. i know in some of those aweful maps u goons players like u have like 21912378 turrets and 3487478 sensors up and the flag is buried deep so the odds of anyone reaching it is rare, u might have some time if ur playing hof to do such things. which makes sense really, if ur used to playing aweful maps, some of the tactics ppl think are good actually are just like the maps themselves, aweful.
    Ha Ha I never suggested that somebody sit in the cc the whole map read carefully sir.But if someone wants to do that thats ok I am not gonna have a little fit about it.Maybe us Goon players dont give a crap about your comp and or TWL advice since we are not playing in the TWL ladder.I dont mind anybody giving advice.Its really just how someone gives it.You dont have to act like a arrogant ass when you give it or you disagree with someones suggestions.

Your right this is a Strategies and Guides forum.It however is not just a TWL Strategies and Guides forum.

Oh and Sylock nice way to cry and complain about the maps you dont like in a totally unrelated post.If you dont like the maps that Us goon players play go somewhere else or hey put up your own server mmmkay.
  • i think what kry was trying to explain to u, as easy as a concept it was, seemed to evade ur awesome awareness skills. many of us use the the cc hud, however we do not WASTE our time just staring, we pop it up long enough to see were the immediate threats are and go about our business. it has nothing to do with cheats, but has everything to do with being a more efficent player then urself obviously. positions which prolly use it more would be light defense, light on flags, turret farmers, cappers...actually lets just say anyone that knows how to play IS using the cc for split seconds at a time and NOT dedicating a whole position. i know in some of those aweful maps u goons players like u have like 21912378 turrets and 3487478 sensors up and the flag is buried deep so the odds of anyone reaching it is rare, u might have some time if ur playing hof to do such things. which makes sense really, if ur used to playing aweful maps, some of the tactics ppl think are good actually are just like the maps themselves, aweful.
    Ha Ha I never suggested that somebody sit in the cc the whole map read carefully sir.But if someone wants to do that thats ok I am not gonna have a little fit about it.Maybe us Goon players dont give a crap about your comp and or TWL advice since we are not playing in the TWL ladder.I dont mind anybody giving advice.Its really just how someone gives it.You dont have to act like a arrogant ass when you give it or you disagree with someones suggestions.

Your right this is a Strategies and Guides forum.It however is not just a TWL Strategies and Guides forum.

Oh and Sylock nice way to cry and complain about the maps you dont like in a totally unrelated post.If you dont like the maps that Us goon players play go somewhere else or hey put up your own server mmmkay.

if i was reading this thread right it sounded like ur the one that is bitter/bitching about the strategies, but hey i'm all for u staying on a hill with a missile launcher while ur on ur cc hud calling out wildcats and bombers. as for the twl strategies? i didnt know we had our own specific line of tactics, thats news to me.
    Also i'm not sure what reason u have for hating the players from twl, other then them prolly stomping ur ass as a result of playing almost a decade, most of have had some time to figure out what works and what doesnt. and what i find laughable is you claiming kryand cheats or at least making reference to it, If I wanna learn how to use cheap ass scripts and hack then I will take advice from you boys i think that was one of the lines. but ur right your way of playing without full awareness or taking advice is prolly better...
  • edited June 2009
    Oh I dont hate all the players from TWL just the arrogant ones that think they know it all.Played for years on TWL before the ladder went to shit which I am sorry to say it is now.There are some real good players on there.I dont know if your one of them since I have never seen you on a server.I never said kryand cheats learn to read.although many twl players use such scripts like interpolate auto missile and such.Some consider these cheats or maybe cheap ass scripts or
    maybe both.

If you dont know the difference between strategies used in comp play and pub thats not my fault.I think even kryand and projectile will agree with me on that.
    why is that,you usually play different maps on pub servers player numbers are much larger and usually the maps.Not saying you cant play some TWL maps on pubs but Strategies change when you have more people playing and less communication.

Like I said I dont mind anybody giving advice.There is one thing about it advice though you can take it or leave it.Kryand and projectile have given some good advice in the past but this advice may lean toward the comp player and not to someone who is playing in a pub server like goons.

Yeah maybe I will be on a hill shooting your ass down with a missile Sylock.I will also be the hitting you in the face with a disc and chucking a mortar on your ass while you cry about the map were playing.
  • edited June 2009
    My question is why the hell would you defend something like staring at the CC standing still for a whole map. Letting people play the way they want is one thing, but that is not even playing. Same goes for standing on a hill with a missile launcher all map, not moving at all and occasionally shooting a missile. If you give a shit about the game, you should be advocating players getting better so they can experience more of the game and hopefully find something that makes them never want to leave. You'd have to be the most naive person in the world if you think staring at a CC or sitting on a hill barely shooting is ever going to be that thing for anyone - and they obviously aren't getting any better or learning anything as they do either of those things, so they will quit and T2 will be down yet another player in short order.

And yeah there is a difference between pub tactics and comp tactics: pub tactics are bad, and comp tactics are good. It's not like there are two different classes of strategies that are completely separate. You people act like comp tactics won't work in a pub setting, which is just preposterous. Comp tactics destroy a pub setting - sometimes literally. The whole "pub tactics" label describes bad tactics that only work because your opponents are bad and disorganized. Basically my point is, our "comp" advice is still way more valuable than other advice because it works everywhere and against everyone. Your advice only works against idiots. As soon as someone using your advice plays against a non-idiot, they'll quickly find that they need some new strategies. Of course they might just cry "cheats!" like retards - just like someone did in this discussion. People like you are going to end up causing mass harm to the game if you convince everyone that anyone better than them is cheating. If they are taking advice from you, they are going to be pretty damn bad on top of that, so almost everyone will be better. Then they will probably quit because you convinced them that the game is full of cheaters.
  • i wanna know if he's gonna make sense anytime soon? :-\
  • i think it's the.whole punctuation.thing.that's throwing us.

.off.
  • Advocating someone staring at the CC the entire game is terrible. Not only is it probably not much fun for anyone that would buy/play an FPS, but it hurts other players.

Your team is effectively down a man, which isn't fair at all. You also take up a server slot, which is rude and inconsiderate.
  • The role is MORE than "staring at a screen". It involves coordination of a team's resources to threats that might only show up on the map for less than a second (i.e. cloakers, snipers, etc skirting the sensor zones).

You all are right about one thing though; with the tactics that run rampant in classic servers, there is little need for actual teamwork as opposed to raw skill.
  • The role is MORE than "staring at a screen". It involves coordination of a team's resources to threats that might only show up on the map for less than a second (i.e. cloakers, snipers, etc skirting the sensor zones).

You all are right about one thing though; with the tactics that run rampant in classic servers, there is little need for actual teamwork as opposed to raw skill.
    yeah it's more than staring at a screen, but you're underestimating the ability of good players to multitask. I can easily and quickly filter out all unnecessary information while completely informing my defense of what's going on over 90% of the time while still playing very effective ld. There's no need to waste a player to do nothing but pay close attention to the cc; it's always more important to have a body doing something
  • It can be useful: the trick is to multitask yourself. Find someone who's just using a tank as a turret to defend flag. Man the CC from inside the driver's seat :P

Now you have someone coordinating tactics, and a tank someone can't hop into and run off with. Not to mention if a shrike or something attacks the tank you'll probably notice and can switch off the CC to do evasive manuevers.
  • bloody tank ues!
  • I feel awful sorry the poor guy who's stuck giving orders that probably aren't going to even be given regard to in a pub. Tribes 2 isn't like battlefield where there's a commander than orders down artillery and gives squads orders, etc.

Most people usually multi-task with the command circuit (like said above) to assess the incoming, choose what they're going to do, then take off again. For example, base defenders waiting to be attacked will sometimes sit on the command circuit and target enemies that might be heading to rape the base, etc.
  • When I farm, I'll usually pop in and out of the cc to check for base rapers en route, or to target horribly placed deployed invos within the sensor net, also it is helpful to find damaged deployables, and finding where to put deployable pulse sensors to give my team early warnings of incoming enemies, or to augment my teams sensor net, but other than that I don't spend a lot of time in it.
  • see the fact is, the goon maps are often very very large, and there are some rly shit maps, where the flag is buried under the base, behind 500 corners, protected by FF.

on pubs, even the first step, getting the FF down, is often not reachable. so ppl make tactics for this, like, 5 ppl defending a single gen room, and think this are rly cool tacs.

but if u carefully look at this maps, as soon as the teams are balanced on this kind of maps, there are no single grabs. so u basically play 20 mins for nothing, as even this maps are CTF.

so, now ppl take this kind of tactics and try to use them also on the open maps. u see then 5 farmers, HoF, 5 BDs an such. but, if they face a team who plays offensive, they loose.

so, its probably not a good idea too take tacs from this shitty maps and teach all new ppl thats the way how tribes is played. the twl ppl never played such maps, as its boring to play them, so they will use "openmap" tactics, and thats why they beat the defender teams on this open maps.

it doesnt matter if the map is big or not, unless its not one off this shitty FF flag buried maps, offense always wins.
    the funny thing is, even on the shitty maps offense would win, but u would need more offense on those maps. :)
    on the open maps less offense can normaly do the thing, but even there u see, the more offense a pub team has, the faster they win.
  • the assassin class can offense or defense
    offense

the assassin will usually try to keep the ho's covered (from enemy ground support, you'd have to be a skilled shocklanc user to pull off strike and bomber defense) and also you can use scouts to do beacon runs so you can plot of targets for the ho's to aim at

defense

assassin defense can most be used in indoor base defense.
    now it can be tricky sometimes due to one morter near by will send you straight to hell so learn your maps right and observe enemy routes through your base and then you can start planing spots to wait in (dark spots,spots where the enemy's back will be turned to u when he come into view ) obliviously any where the enemy wont see you when they enter a room or where they cant shoot a morter into unless there get into shooting view.