Map Development

Under the request of multiple people, I have decided to make some new maps for the new and rapidly growing community. Anyone with suggestions, ideas, or if you want to be a map tester, post your thoughts below.

To anyone new or anyone who does not know me, I am an experienced mapper and know what I'm doing. So suggest anything you want and I'll most likely be able to do it.

Comments

• Bump... Kinda eager to get some ideas...
  • You know what might be interesting...Taking some tv maps and adapting them to tribes 2 play. I mean really while the game was a flop some of the maps weren't too bad. They would have to be enlarged of course, but hey you wanted ideas.
  • I could "borrow" some of the map concepts from T:V, but that's not very original, now is it? :P
  • You know what might be interesting...Taking some tv maps and adapting them to tribes 2 play. I mean really while the game was a flop some of the maps weren't too bad. They would have to be enlarged of course, but hey you wanted ideas.

That's a great idea man! Some of the tv maps were great, it would be a shame to see them go the way of tv, when they could still be enjoyed by the T2 crowd! Good thinking!
  • I'll need to look at some of the T:V maps. I haven't played it in a long while. Keep the ideas coming.
  • I'd throw more ideas your way, but they wouldn't be popular with the community at all. The community doesn't seem to like maps with indoor anything but gens. It seems I'm only good for aerial dogfight mapping ideas in that way...I gave kryand a few ideas that led him to creating the best dogfight map ever seen.
  • I'd throw more ideas your way, but they wouldn't be popular with the community at all. The community doesn't seem to like maps with indoor anything but gens. It seems I'm only good for aerial dogfight mapping ideas in that way...I gave kryand a few ideas that led him to creating the best dogfight map ever seen.

Give me ideas for them too. I'm working on a dogfighting gametype for my mod, and I need ideas for those maps.
  • A dogfight mod? Don't we already have one of those? Anyhow I'd have to know more about said mod before throwing anything out for it.
  • edited January 2009
    A dogfight mod? Don't we already have one of those? Anyhow I'd have to know more about said mod before throwing anything out for it.

It's not a dogfight mod... I said a gametype for the mod. Anyway... We should stay on topic. :P
  • Hehe yeah thats what the orginal dogfight was. The mod was bones mod could be played in ctf or whatever and came with a couple custom gametypes including dogfight and a tank fighting kinda thing. Most people remember bones mod because of aerial dogfight and simply refer to it as such.
  • edited January 2009
    Hehe yeah thats what the orginal dogfight was. The mod was bones mod could be played in ctf or whatever and came with a couple custom gametypes including dogfight and a tank fighting kinda thing. Most people remember bones mod because of aerial dogfight and simply refer to it as such.

I know what Bones is... I played it for 3 years... Now please, back on topic. (I don't mean to sound like a douche, I just want to get these maps done as soon as possible)
  • Lol alright alright. You want an idea...Heres one that has always been interesting to me, but has never become popular. Bases in the shape futuristic carriers. Always loved the idea...problem you'll have to face is how to get the map to flow correctly.
  • That's actually an interesting idea, I can think of a few ways for it to flow correctly, I'll keep it in mind.
  • I'd be willing to help Play-Test your maps for you, and help make some and such... :P
  • edited January 2009
    Alright, I'm working on the first of many maps. This one is rather simple in design, two bases fairly close together, about 700 meters or so. There will be a force field generator that needs to be destroyed in order to cap the flags. Also, a capturable vehicle/sensor outpost around 1000 meters away from both of the bases. I'm not sure at the moment if I want the map to support bots since they normally just get in the way, I'll let you guys decide if you want bots or not.

Right now I need a name for the map and a couple testers. Feel free to post any suggestions or requests.
  • FaceOff

Now all I need is some testers for Face Off and upcoming maps.
  • Right now? I'll do it.
  • I'd be willing to help Play-Test your maps for you, and help make some and such... :P
    I will also, I miss map testing.
  • Almost done with Face Off, I'm going to hold play testing soon, so anyone else that's interested in testing, let me know.
  • Concerning the forcefields on flags thing, are you implying a basic idea of having a forcefield that's owned by that particular team guarding the flag, preventing enemy intrusion, or a forcefield that's actually on the opposing team's side, preventing your own team from scoring unless you destroy the designated generator?
  • Make them all SS Nukem.
  • edited January 2009
    Make them all SS Nukem.

They are intended to be...
    Concerning the forcefields on flags thing, are you implying a basic idea of having a forcefield that's owned by that particular team guarding the flag, preventing enemy intrusion, or a forcefield that's actually on the opposing team's side, preventing your own team from scoring unless you destroy the designated generator?

What you first said.
  • This may be a good or bad idea, or frustrating... What about an all vertical map, the bottom team has better assets... just something that kinda popped into my brain while i was reading this thread.
  • This may be a good or bad idea, or frustrating... What about an all vertical map, the bottom team has better assets... just something that kinda popped into my brain while i was reading this thread.
    It gives HOs something to do. I think the FF gens will be semi-open.
  • Concerning the forcefields on flags thing, are you implying a basic idea of having a forcefield that's owned by that particular team guarding the flag, preventing enemy intrusion, or a forcefield that's actually on the opposing team's side, preventing your own team from scoring unless you destroy the designated generator?

What you first said.

Have you considered the alternative mentioned, or is that a particular idea that has been tried before but failed somehow?
  • I have considered it, but most people would be confused on the objective, so I just decided to do what is more commonly done. Destroy the other team's FF gen's to cap their flag.
  • edited January 2009
    Under the request of multiple people, I have decided to make some new maps for the new and rapidly growing community. Anyone with suggestions, ideas, or if you want to be a map tester, post your thoughts below.

To anyone new or anyone who does not know me, I am an experienced mapper and know what I'm doing. So suggest anything you want and I'll most likely be able to do it.

Thanks for the mapping, friend. It is something I have always wanted to get into, but never have either the time or willpower to learn, lol.

I will throw a couple of selfish suggestions your way. I would love a map that is fun for tanking. Maybe something somewhat similar to Valley War or Sentinel. Lots of flat terrain with rocks and outposts to hide from Missles as a tank and hide from tanks if you're anyone else.

As for a base, I would LOVE to see a base with plenty of "ridges" in the halls on both sides of the hall for cloakers to hide in as they sneak around.
    Like this Here :http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Lw8vZHbVCoSZ8a90WCiemw?feat=directlink
    Stealthing is REALLY REALLY fun, but most maps make it really hard to be effective at.

As for a base itself, I would like to see maybe a Generator room similar to recal. Plenty of space to add turrets and more than one enterance. Good to defend and good to hold for the enemy team if they take it over.

The flag should be outside somewhere, but not too much in the open. Maybe like Rollercoaster-style.

If you really felt adventerous, make the two bases connected with an open and large underground tunnel network that connects to an minimally defended above ground outpost with a couple of full inventories, maybe a vehicle pad and a lone turret. The objective point should be underground to avoid vehicle from taking it. The tunnels can go to a room below the Gen rooms in the main base forcing heavies to fly up and use some energy to attack the generators.

Now go do it! ;D
  • edited January 2009
    You should think of some twists on the normal CTF style.
    I remember playing a map a while back (Tribes2 CTF) but instead of each teams flag in their base, your teams flag was in the other teams base.
    So in your base is the other teams flag, there is a force field around it that only the other team can get in. and your team can get into the force field at the other teams base.
    So you couldn't get to their flag, unless you destroy their generator, then you can grab it and take it through the shield guarding your flag inside the enemy base (you can go through this shield).

I like it because it's sort of reversed, instead of bringing their flag back home you gotta take it into their base.
    This might also be fun if there were no force fields, but then I think you should make a smaller map without vehicles or anything so that the game would be centered on flag chasing because you can be sure that if there were no shields there would be constant non-stop flag movement.
    plus in this scenario if there were shrikes it might be too easy to cap. Or you could allow vehicles and put the flags in doors.