Team Aerial Combat 2

TAC2SShot.jpg

Team Aerial Combat 2

Team vehicle combat for Tribes 2
http://www.tacmod.com

Thanks to the great guys at TribesNext

Comments

• Personal testimony, this mod is amazing. It takes a round or two to figure it all out, but the amount of custom maps and the design are great. Centralized around teamwork, a server running this is fun, even with just 4 people. I always keep an eye out for players on the official server so that I can join them.

~Syn~
  • Yeah I played this a couple times and it was really cool.
  • I'm all about some tac, but nobody is playing. Anybody want to fly?
  • edited January 2009
    TAC, is a neat idea, but not executed well, in my opinion.. I just don't like the maps included and the design..
    Landing on terrain and having it kill you is dumb and unrealistic... all the maps for TAC, should be more realistic.. 4 types to start.. all water maps with islands or floating ships or bases. lava maps with islands or floating ships or bases... air or sky maps with bases high up, and if you fall you die. space maps with bases to land on. traveling to the enemy base should be the only aerial aspect to the mod.. after you get to the enemys small island or base.. you should be able to walk on the terrain or the base...
  • TAC, is a neat idea, but not executed well, in my opinion.. I just don't like the maps included and the design..
    Landing on terrain and having it kill you is dumb and unrealistic... all the maps for TAC, should be more realistic.. 4 types to start.. all water maps with islands or floating ships or bases. lava maps with islands or floating ships or bases... air or sky maps with bases high up, and if you fall you die. space maps with bases to land on. traveling to the enemy base should be the only aerial aspect to the mod.. after you get to the enemys small island or base.. you should be able to walk on the terrain or the base...

I think 9 straight years of continual playing of of the TAC mod in both T1 and T2 speaks for itself in terms of "execution" :D.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the mod, but I totally respect it as well. It's the first time i've seen someone make this sort of critique; most just don't say anything and we never see them again. While probably nothing will change from it, I can still try and convince those reading it while I think it's flawed:

First of all, I doublt realism is the reason people play Tribes, hehe. Even if the graphics were as "realistic" as, say, Crysis, the gameplay of base Tribes is just plain silly. Skiing? Jetpacks? Hand-held mortars and disclaunchers? There's nothing remotely realistic about these. And you know what? That's why people who play Tribes absolutely love it. It's not your run-of-the-mil Doom ripoff FPS game. It's completely original (well, Kudos to Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri for inspiring the gameplay!) in that regard. To hell with the realism! So who cares if we add in another silly rule of not being able to touch the ground? It just makes trying to ground this game/mod in reality all the more comical! (BTW, people have come up with half-hearted ridiculous reasons as to why touching the ground=death; i'm sure if you Googled enough, you could come across those ancient forum posts!)

Second, your suggestion of having all maps be Lava/Air/Water maps becomes very dull very fast. We have a few of them, and while they're enjoyable, if all the maps were like that, there would be very little we could do to provide unique gameplay experiences. All the maps would be flat...

The whole idea behind the mod is to have spawn bases that aren't accessible to the other team. These are just meant as a staging place where your team spawns, acquires vehicles, and then heads out into the map to achieve a specific objective w/teamwork as the key goal in mind. Whether that be capturing a flag, an objective, or blowing up your enemy's ship, it doesn't matter. If you want to be able to base rape, then I'll tell you right now this isn't the mod for you. Sorry! However, if you want to make sure that just about anything you do for the hours you spend with us on Friday involves teamwork, then I highly suggest you try it.

The best example I give to people is when Houston Vehs/Miami Vehs had those special event nights. Some of the events had Derms vs Humans, Wildcat Racing, etc. And others had Havoc wars, where you'd bascially have 2 fully loaded Havocs w/gunners wearing Heavy armor face off against each other in a sort of Team Deathmatch mode. Well, if you ever participated in that you'd know just how much fun that was. Imagine a mod specializing in that type of gameplay and you've got TAC!
  • TAC is a wonderful mod. Simple, yet powerful in it's own way it forces team combat, which is the point of the mod. I have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy games of TAC every now and then, especially thanks to TN.

Don't mind him, he's... well, his creativity shows.
  • I would LOVE to play some TAC2. Let's PU that eh?
  • The point of TAC is team AERIAL combat. That's why the ground is "lava".
    Your argument is invalid.
  • Hmm.. I downloaded and installed it and it didn't work... said I was missing "catseye.dts" I think.
  • Phoenix, i'll try and help you resolve your issues, but your best bet is to just head over to the TACMOD forums @ www.tacmod.com and post a question in the TAC2 General section. Someone will quickly reply to your problem before tomorrow night's Fightnight!

Anyways, the "catseye.dts" error, I believe, usually pops up when you don't have the Dynamix Final Map pack downloaded. On our download thread @ www.tacmod.com we have a link to download it. Don't forget to download all our custom map updates as well. We're working on trying to consolidate everything into one easy to download package, but until then the download thread on our page has everything you need.
  • Phoenix, i'll try and help you resolve your issues, but your best bet is to just head over to the TACMOD forums @ www.tacmod.com and post a question in the TAC2 General section. Someone will quickly reply to your problem before tomorrow night's Fightnight!

Anyways, the "catseye.dts" error, I believe, usually pops up when you don't have the Dynamix Final Map pack downloaded. On our download thread @ www.tacmod.com we have a link to download it. Don't forget to download all our custom map updates as well. We're working on trying to consolidate everything into one easy to download package, but until then the download thread on our page has everything you need.

Strange, I definitely do have that map pack, if not EVERY map pack made for t2.
  • The catseye.dts error is definitely related to a missing map, so if you already have the Dynamix Map Pack (the extra pack), then the mod probably didn't install correctly, or maybe delete your DSO files.
  • I'm not quite sure why, but the last time I tried to make it work it worked. Which is really funny because my friend who had the same exact problem tried it after I told him it worked for me, worked for him. Played for about 10 minutes before the map changed and everyone else left :(
  • When was this? Try Friday nights at around 9PM EST, and I guarantee you'll have someone to play ;)
  • Just a reminder.... today is Friday (our Fight Night)
  • Bump/reminder... tis our fight night again tonight :)
  • *wave*
    notman's tutorial site + forums introduced me to Tribes scripting and the mod community. I've always appreciated the help for newbs. =)

Also, TAC is pretty cool. The first Friday night I have free, I'm going to hop on.
  • So far I like the sound effects, the graphics and the vehicles looks pretty cool, but I don't like the idea that the ground hurts you. Played it for only a minute.
  • Try not to get hung up on the groundkill. It's there to help change the game dynamics. We could make it more 'explainable' by changing the ground type, but it would make the maps become very similar.
    If you join us tonight, and attempt to work will people, you'll be rewarded with fun :)
    [me=notman]waves back at Teratos[/me]
  • Great games guys. Not sure how many of you may have made it, but we had a big turn out this week. If any of you missed it, make sure to hook up with us next week :)
  • It's Friday again... set your alarm/reminders for 9PM EST :)
  • I remember playing this mod on Tribes1, it's simply amazing. I would drop all other Tribes2 gaming and just play TAC if there were enough people to get a few servers going. Sadly 9PM EST are a little bit too late for me because I live in Europe :/
  • You guys are more than welcome to fire up a game earlier. That's just the 'official' start time :)
    People tend to jump in around the official time only because that's when people are usually able to start appearing. If they were use to seeing people earlier, they would start earlier :) We moved the start time to 9PM a few months back because people weren't showing up earlier (which was 8PM). After TN came on the scene, we had half the server full before 8PM :o

Oh, and we usually play until at least 2am EST, so people who get up early Sat morning (their time), then we may still be playing. The last few weeks, the games haven't ended until 4-6 am.