Adding impulse to weapons

I'm working on a fun mod that will be entirely based on applying forces to other players in order to kill them by impacting them into the ground.

I can make this concept work with grenades and mines, but it won't work with the other weapons in the game.

How could I add impulse or kickback to the weapons in the game in order to make this work?

Comments

• Just make the direct/indirect damage to zero, you can still apply a radius to make the impulse bigger, then just add a kickback = ####; var tot he datablock
  • edited November 2009
    It didn't work

here's my spinfusor projectile code:
    //--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // Projectile
    //--------------------------------------
    datablock LinearProjectileData(DiscProjectile)
    {
       projectileShapeName = "disc.dts";
       emitterDelay        = -1;
       directDamage        = 0.0;
       hasDamageRadius     = true;
       indirectDamage      = 0;
       damageRadius        = 7.5;
       radiusDamageType    = $DamageType::Disc;
       Impulse             = true;
       kickBackStrength    = 5000;

sound               = discProjectileSound;
       explosion           = "DiscExplosion";
       underwaterExplosion = "UnderwaterDiscExplosion";
       splash              = DiscSplash;

dryVelocity       = 90;
       wetVelocity       = 50;
       velInheritFactor  = 0.5;
       fizzleTimeMS      = 5000;
       lifetimeMS        = 5000;
       explodeOnDeath    = true;
       reflectOnWaterImpactAngle = 15.0;
       explodeOnWaterImpact      = true;
       deflectionOnWaterImpact   = 0.0;
       fizzleUnderwaterMS        = 5000;

activateDelayMS = 200;

hasLight    = true;
       lightRadius = 6.0;
       lightColor  = "0.175 0.175 0.5";
    };

•    Impulse             = true;

Isn't something you can just add, just remove it and raise the kickbackstrength. kickBackStrenth = ####;
    That determines the impulse applied to the player that the disc collides with.
  • Need no more mods.
    What's the point, if no ones going to play them?
  • edited November 2009
    Arena, classic, duel do not kill tribes essence. And they're made not to make happy only a creator - but there was need to do them and the idea wasn't made by scripter, but community.

Mods completly change way of developing our skills. I'd say this mod can be good (it do not change way of using weapons, movement) - it reminds me HL mod "Ricochet". But other mods, witch change eg. weapons completly like meltdown, kill tribes. Users of mod cant play well on classic/base servers, and reverse - so that's the way how to loose people - devide community to smaller and smaller mod users (more mods - less people plaing one mod) to the time there will be just one user of each mod - it is sick...

I see many mods created now - but why to annouce them here? Nobody will play it. Make for you own if you have too much free time. There's no need to do more mods.
  • Such bullshit. Wow... just wow.
  • Um, there will be no amount of mods, or for that matter so little people, where only one person will be playing a mod at any one time.
    Arena, classic, duel do not kill tribes essence. And they're made not to make happy only a creator

A mod is not made to be used only by its creator, the success for a mod is dependent on the community that plays on it, so naturally a mod would be made to please the community, only that the creator may have a different way of doing that.
    but there was need to do them and the idea wasn't made by scripter, but community.

There was no need to make arena, classic, or duel mod. Sure, they helped Tribes survive, because I doubt many people like base, but they were a want, not a need.
    But other mods, witch change eg. weapons completly like meltdown, kill tribes. Users of mod cant play well on classic/base servers, and reverse

There is no mod that will kill Tribes, period. A mod is a modification, hence the changing of things. It's the entertainment factor that they are trying to provide, whether it be the whole community or a more specific clientele. As there is no mod that will kill Tribes, there is no mod that will kill your skill. When a baby learns to walk, they keep that for the rest of their lives, excluding all outside factors that might "disable" that ability. They won't just suddenly forget how to walk simply because they learn how to talk. The same is true about a game. If you continue to play two different mods, there is no reason, other than a mental disorder or just your lack of trying, to forget how to play one of the others, so long as you continue to play that mod.
    I'd say this mod can be good (it do not change way of using weapons, movement)

Really?
    The use of weapons and movement, fundamentally, are in the game engine itself. Sure mods can restrict movement, but they can't disable it or change it. Forward is forward as backward is backward. And what is a mod if it can not "modify?" If you suggest that everything should stay the same, that we don not need anything more, we have this. What happens when you get bored? Watch your favorite movie, great isn't it? Watch it again, still good huh? Do that another fifty times, still good? What do you do? You watch another movie...
    I see many mods created now - but why to annouce them here? Nobody will play it. Make for you own if you have too much free time. There's no need to do more mods.

People announce them here so that people can play them! Like I said before, Tribes is boring if you just make a mod for yourself, the whole point is the community. How do producers like, I don't know, games developers get the word out? They advertise so that people will what their products. Most of the time, you can not trust a person's curiosity to make them try new things on their own, so they announce it here, the huge community that resurrected a game because they loved it, the place where anyone who loves Tribes will be.

A mod will not divide the community, because a mod is still tribes. If you like a mod, play it. It is that simple, just because you play one, doesn't mean you can't play another along with it, and it doesn't mean that everyone is like you and only plays one thing at a time. If you don't like a mod, don't play it, but no matter what you do, don't complain about it.
    Need no more mods.
    What's the point, if no ones going to play them?

How do you know no one will play it? Maybe people aren't as shallow as you believe. Maybe the new generation will branch out into playing more than just something like base or classic. Because classic was made as a mod itself, it was a hit, how do you know that this mod will not be a big hit either?

That's all I have to say at this point, please think before you say something in a post again, and work on your grammar, spelling, and sentence structure please.
  • There was no need to make arena, classic, or duel mod. Sure, they helped Tribes survive, because I doubt many people like base, but they were a want, not a need.
    Classic isn't really necessary; this is true. Of course, it wasn't really necessary for Tribes 2 to survive this long, either.

Remember base++? It was a mod for Tribes 2 made in 2001 originally envisioned as the speed mod that would capture the Tribes feel, but a Tribes feel was not what it provided. It was unable to create frictionless skiing because the setting didn't exist in the game at the time. However, many people played it rather than base simply because base was so boring. When Classic came out, base++ was completely abandoned.

And then there's Legends. A whole new freeware game, originally made by people who were so fed up with base that they would rather make a completely new game than try to salvage Tribes 2. The project's death pretty much coincided with the release of Classic mod.

Even Sierra was getting in on the act, with Tribes: Fast Attack. Yes, even the creators of Tribes 2 were working on a completely new game instead of trying to salvage base mod. That fell through because Sierra decided to help ZOD/z0dd make their vision of Classic mod a reality instead.

Classic caught on because it captured the old Tribes feel better than Base++. Its status as an official mod that was released in the 25026/25034 patch probably doesn't even matter to most of the people who played it. New functions were added to the executable specifically to make it possible, and the "beta patch" being tested at the time was mostly just done to give players the opportunity to play it early. Soon after the mod was released, the player base of the game made a massive resurgence and started playing again.

We did our time in the dark ages of base. I'd rather quit Tribes 2 than play Base CTF ever again.

Wow, talk about going off on a tangent. What was this thread even about?
  • ok, make more mods

I wont argue, cause you're proppably right. My pervious post was a opinion witch I had yesterday - so it is can be bullshit :).
  • While we shouldn't encourage people to make mods with the belief that people will play them, I don't see why not to help people through their problems in it. If they pick up one game, it'll be easier to pick up another game. Hell, wasn't UltraXL made mere days after release?
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the input.

I don't expect people to play this mod, it's just for the enjoyment of seeing people fly through the air hundreds of feet just because they stepped on a mine. IU myself have splatter myself across a base ceiling because I forgot that I placed one inside.
       Impulse             = true;

Isn't something you can just add, just remove it and raise the kickbackstrength. kickBackStrenth = ####;
    That determines the impulse applied to the player that the disc collides with.

Increasing the kickback strength didn't work. I had the spinfusore kickback set at 25000 and I couldn't even move a scout.

I have had success with the shocklance though. I just used it to MA a flag carrier into the ground for a pancake kill. I might increase the range of the shocklance a bit to combat the difficulty in smacking somone out of the air with it.

I think I'll call it the "Friendly" Mod.
  • Did you fire it at another player or at yourself? Because if you fired it at yourself, in Classic, any kickBackStrength set in the disc projectile is overridden in projectiles.cs (4475 strength). It should work for any other player though.
  • I used it on enemy players, myself, and on my allies. no such luck.

any suggestions?
  • Are you doing this in-game then executing? Or outside of the game?
  • are you asking If i edit the weapon files while in the game or outside of the game?

I edit them outside of the games, clear the .dso's then start the game to test.
  • Then I'm not sure as to why increasing kickBackStrength won't work, I've just done it, and it works fine for me.
  • what are you setting kickBackStrength to and what weapon are you doing it with?

did you set the damage to 0?
  • Ah, duh :P. 0 damage will make the kickBackStrength null, lol. Forgot about that...
  • So I should set it to like 0.00001?

great! thanks! It works now! more excalaimation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I need a way to credit people for pancake kills.
  • The TAC mod does that (it's one of those mods where if you touch the ground, you die). I think they have it set up so that if somebody damaged you within the last 15 seconds or something, the last person to have damaged you gets the kill. Not sure how they went about it, though.
  • The TAC mod does that (it's one of those mods where if you touch the ground, you die). I think they have it set up so that if somebody damaged you within the last 15 seconds or something, the last person to have damaged you gets the kill. Not sure how they went about it, though.
    Its actually in the last 7 seconds before you die. And about the Tac people giving up that code..well i highly doubt it. But I'm sure they'd try to help you out. But not necessarily give you the code.
  • I've been trying to figure out how to do that. maybe I should ask them.
    Its actually in the last 7 seconds before you die. And about the Tac people giving up that code..well i highly doubt it. But I'm sure they'd try to help you out. But not necessarily give you the code.

or just put a "lastDamagedBy" flag on the hit player using the Projectile::OnCollision Function.
  • Well I actually asked them about this and they said its not a big secret, all you have to do is look at the files you download to play the TAC Mod. They said if your making a mod You should be able to figure out where that code is, in the TAC mod files.
  • Thanks!

Most of the mods i've bothered to look into are all packed into a nice .vl2 withh all the scripts in .dso format. I'll try it!.