Tribes 2 rising from the ashes (The Phoenix Project)

Comments

• a vid that highlighted the drama and egos of t2 would do well too
  • I think a link to the TWL forums would suffice for that
  • A couple of the videos i will list below are perfect examples of videos we need to be doing and why are we not embedding these on this website. Why not use what is already out there and create new ones.

Pure 2: A Tribes Movie
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377#

Extreme Ways
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377#docid=9025052982937758399

PURE
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377#docid=-10563073612975434

Travel: A Tribes 2 Movie by sYs|yavor
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377#docid=-4655286366920081635
    this is an excellent movie but the video is a bit dark and hard to see but other wise it is exactlly what we need.

Capping it Out - Tribes 2 Teamwork
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377#docid=2476325696030498603

Kayvz Final Tribes 2
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8681131305708867377#docid=-6762346148548480307

If we don't start doing something this game will go nowhere and will slowly die on the vine. I don't want to see that. We need to let people know about the game, let them know it is free to get and play, supply them with the basic skills of how to play (videos), put videos on this site to let them see how fun it is to play the game and also let them know that it takes a little bit of time of playing the game to be a skillful player. But in the end all the time you spend playing makes you a better player. And by all means that teamwork is the key to winning.

My 2 cents
  • Oh, so we've got many movies - why focusing on making another one?

Maybe we're searching for new players in bad places? I can't imagine total newbie in fps games who would be interested in game from 2001... I hope many of you are or was decent players in other mp fps games, and know other fps communities well. I wasnt playing anything form 2005 to 2009 so i'm sooo away from nowadays gamming communities - but i remember many games got open-minded gamers :)
  • edited December 2009
    a vid that highlighted the drama and egos of t2 would do well too

Lol, this is true. The people who want to attract more players are the same people who pushed them away.

But as we discussed in another thread a while ago, the golden chance to revive T2 to the public went by already.

Edit: Found it http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=1307.0
  • It would help to promote T2 on other sites too.
    A few off the top of my head:
    www.moddb.com (Is there, just buried)
    www.cnet.com

Also, someone needs to fix the training (Incredibally crappy)
    I got through in a half hour still not knowing much. (As a newb)

Graphics upgrade anyone? I saw some high-def skins laying around somewhere...

Last I can think of is bots. Using unreliable static graphs causes issues. (especially in modded servers that have large deployables like V2) Or CCM/ACCM/TWM, the AI cannot resist from jumping.

Lol, this is true. The people who want to attract more players are the same people who pushed them away.

But as we discussed in another thread a while ago, the golden chance to revive T2 to the public went by already.

Aww how cute, Purest is still pretending like he has any idea what pushed people away.
  • wonder if gg will do a t4

Aww how cute, Purest is still pretending like he has any idea what pushed people away.
    I wonder why Branzone et al. are enjoying such wild popularity among the public.
    wonder if gg will do a t4
    Heh, we can dream. They started with FE:L, they're bringing T1 back... I'd really like to see the FPS+Z games become more mainstream.
  • I wonder why Branzone et al. are enjoying such wild popularity among the public.
    ::) Keep wondering.
  • For long time I've had an idea in my head for a movie that encompasses a Tribes 2 ladder match. It would be like a sports movie, except Tribes 2. The match should be staged to make it look as intense as possible, with all three map lasting a long time and leading to a very close finish (you know how it goes). It would have voice acting that would basically be the players on Ventrilo talking as they normally would if it was a real match, and maybe a shout-caster as well. In between the maps of the real match I'd also like to include "flashbacks" to other things in Tribes 2. I haven't tried to put anything serious in motion, because this is obviously going to require a whole lot of planning and a whole lot of work. I already have enough unfinished projects that I'm not working on.

That's a sweet idea.
  • what you need is players on other servers, lots of players have been banned from goons, and just left tribes, to allow goon server to have to much power is causing tribes fail.
  • God forbid anyone else should start up a server. Let's blame everything on Goon Haven, that'll fix everything.

Or better yet, let's ask Beaz to summarily shut down Goon Haven. I'm sure he'd be happy to be able to spend more time with his newborn son. And all the players would run away and stop playing T2 because GH is gone, leaving T2 to die again. Everyone wins!

In before "Shizuka is an idiot and should shut up"
  • Well it wasn't hard for this thread to get knocked off track. Let me see if I can nudge it back on course.

Everyone has some good ideas for videos, but lets keep in mind we want to bring in ALL types of folks. So it would be best not to confine ourselves to one style. One of the great things about tribes(at least in my eyes) was all its mods. It had a gametype for everyone if you just looked....Heck we even had rpg's. So lets keep that in mind while trying to pull folks in.
  • edited December 2009
    Ok
    Instead of CDRs I'm going to use DVDrs
    On the DVD I will have two folders one will be the Dynamix and the other will be for shortcuts . Dynamix will drag and drop to cdrive and shortcuts to desktop . This Tribes2 will have TAC2 . Other files installed are Osiris341/TWLmappack1/2 /dynamix final mappack /high res skin installer . Can you guys think of any thing else I could add ?
  • First 6 going out tomorrow ;D
    • GEDC3649.JPG
  • Can you guys think of any thing else I could add ?
    hmm, TN patch?
  • Maybe it's just me, but even with the readme in there I anticipate cries of "OMFG VIRUSES" when you distribute those. Get the feeling random people on the street won't want to pick up a hand-burned Sharpie-labeled CD to play.
  • Maybe it's just me, but even with the readme in there I anticipate cries of "OMFG VIRUSES" when you distribute those. Get the feeling random people on the street won't want to pick up a hand-burned Sharpie-labeled CD to play.
    Yeah same what i'm thinking, I wouldn't stick a game that i got from a small shop or handed out on the street, that's been hand drawn, no design etc, AND, instead of a installer, its a copy paste. Maybe there's a place where you can get cd designs printed.

Also, what if we were to make a external application that helps people through the installing, that opens the installer on the disc, and on close of that installer, it then opens the tn patch? Would that work, and if we can't pack the tn patch with t2 in a installer, can we pack all the extras to be installed in the tn patch, so when we install the tn patch, it installs the extras?
  • Like I said, I'm pretty sure Kinkos/similar store will mass-copy CDs for you, including the CD art. The CD art wouldn't have to be complicated, probably just all black with the TribesNext name logo would suffice. If you can get a reputable place to help distribute them for you (ie. the random table at Best Buy I mentioned before), then Sharpie labels would probably be fine. But if it's just you handing them out to strangers, you'll need a bit more.
  • Good idea I just downloaded EZinstall .I'm going to see how well it works.
    That and distributing it physically is just extremely ineffective and inefficient.

I just checked the site statistics. About 30% of all visits to Tribesnext.com over the past 4 months came from search engines. Considering the number of regulars here and the state of the game, that's quite a high number.
    If we look at the top two Google searches for Tribes 2, they look like this:

1) Tribes 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tribes 2 (commonly abbreviated to T2) is a sci-fi first-person shooter (FPS) computer game based in the fictional Earthsiege universe.

2) TribesNext | Tribes 2 Online Multiplayer
    Download the latest version of the Tribes 2 Online patch.

So people are interested and they are hitting this site.
    The reason why it's not spreading and nobody's joining... I'll just quote from the other thread:
    After reaching TribesNext.com, all they saw was some random logo.

No screenshots,

no videos,

and they left.
    If you can convince Krash, the owner of the site, to give someone access to add stuff, the problem will be solved and new players will start pouring in.
    I like that people are doing what they can, but this would be exponentially more potent than distributing the game by hand.
  • I'm must agree. Time to get players was screwed. Let's do nothing, just play - i think that would make better results that spamming about tribes everywhere.

When RC3 patch came out - there's is another chance to promote tribes. Main page should be rebulid. It dont have to coloristic images, videos - but much more text. Witch can introduce complexity of the game, tells about it features and stuff. Main page shoud have sections like: Home (text about what tribes is with impemented some images), Features, Forum, Download, Media - witch can be easly accesible, bigger links.
  • BTW, it's "phoenix".
  • Maybe we should have a home page building contest ?
  • edited December 2009
    [code]
  • oh look everyone kryand can code
  • Has anyone thought of utilizing sites like fark.com or digg.com? Those sites have a HUGE user base that is extremely diverse. I feel like we have a shot at informing vets as well as new blood on those websites. I was a regular back in the day and when the servers started to die out. I left T2 for a while; so long that I forgot my logon information and could not get back on when my interest was again renewed later. I was absolutely ecstatic to find out that T2 was free and I could finally play my beloved game again. It seems that there are plenty others out there that would love to get back into the game and simply do not know of its (recent) availability and resurgence.

~Emi
  • I'm pretty sure TribesNext was mentioned on Digg when it went live, not sure about Fark. Several very popular news sites already had a post about TribesNext last year.