None

edited January 2014 in General Discussion
-

Comments

• Chinese because a shitload more people speak it. Mandarin is the second most common language in the world I think.
  • From a usability standpoint you'll probably get a lot more milage out of Chinese in the future than Japanese.
    Chinese influence and business will only become more prominent in the future, where as Japanese, much like the west in general, will dwindle in power & importance directly in proportion with how much the current asian superstars (China & India) rise in prominence.

From a learning standpoint chinese is generally a huge clusterfuck for anyone with western roman/germanic language background. Of the two, Japanese is perhaps a bit simpler in that it isn't a tonal language and doesn't have quite as many characters to memorize, but if you're actually going to put in the effort might as well go with the more useful one.
  • id learn russian

when the nooks start to fly and they invade youll get along better

if u live thru them nooks
  • I want to learn a third language and i'm not into german/french etc wich i hate allot how they sound .
    I like the Chinese and Japanese ,i like the women ,the music ,the place etc.
    At first i didn't want to learn Chinese beacause they eat dogs,cats ,rats (not all) and yeah...you know...this may sound stupid ,but i just don't like that .I don't think they do it in Japan too .And i like the Japanese women's eyes
    I recommend English.
  • They don't eat dogs I think. You're thinking about Koreans.
  • Learn TorqueScript!!! 8)
  • They don't eat dogs I think. You're thinking about Koreans.
    Chinks do too.
  • Japanese are into eating hardcore shit like poisonous fish, scorpion tails, snakes and other stuff like that. So id say go Japanese
  • I recommend English.

Wait wait wait... you're saying that on a forum where the only demonstrated language is English, one should be expected to speak English properly? Blasphemer!

As an aside, I'm appalled how disastrous the poor English language is in execution on the Internet. Did everyone fail Kindergarten-level English where we learned how to write properly?
    [me=Shizuka], yes, was a privileged girl in a public elementary school.[/me]
  • Actualy i got the best results in english in my high school -all classes- even if i speak english bad i still understand most than other people
    edit: i'm romanian
    I hated english..Too many papers..Hated math too..Only ever passed 1 math class in all my highschool years.. And that was only in a Semester :(
  • holy shit. Shizuka is a girl? wtf?????
  • How did you guys fail so much? I never tried at all in HS and got good grades. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. Did you never show up / miss tests?
  • tom you may not like our education system but it's literrally the only way to make money in our society ( unless you have some nature skill that is in demand) but for the most part, people dont.. and have to go to college. and its really not that bad, college is actually a lot of fun ( at least for me) you get influenced a lot by your teachers and you really figure out what you want to do with your life.

I thought how you did tom in highschool, but you know what i did really poorly and i regret it, so sometimes you just got to buckle down and do what our society tells us.. unless your a "rebel and you do what you want" lol those people crack me up.
  • As an aside, I'm appalled how disastrous the poor English language is in execution on the Internet. Did everyone fail Kindergarten-level English where we learned how to write properly?
    Should never expect things out of the Internet.
    [me=Remorse]sits and waits for the internet to be troll free.[/me]
  • edited January 2010
    Are you talking to Love and hate ? or you are calling me Tom...
    is it really that hard to figure out?
  • edited January 2010
    Are you talking to Love and hate ? or you are calling me Tom...
    is it really that hard to figure out?

I have a feeling his name isn't Tom, but is Robert. Maybe it's not (Robert)om2002 or even Rober(Tom)2002 and his name is something completely arbitrary?
  • I think in 2002 he was a thief named tom ?
  • edit: i'm romanian
    My condolences.
  • lol American colleges are a huge day care system. Everyone knows that.

Not sure what community college you went to, but my university taught me more than I have learned my entire life. I don't believe 18 year old students can be quantified as day care participants.
  • its a molding factory, turning out what the regime needs at the time, according to ones personality

its all very scientific
  • eh sorry *Robert lol
  • where did my name "Tom" come from lol? Love|Hate! Isn't anything similar to "Tom". Rofl.
  • where did my name "Tom" come from lol? Love|Hate! Isn't anything similar to "Tom". Rofl.

He was talking about Robertom2002. His name was Robert, not Tom.
  • Maybe it's Roberto M. 2002...
  • How did you guys fail so much? I never tried at all in HS and got good grades. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. Did you never show up / miss tests?
    Idk. Prolly because I've been kicked out of a couple schools for missing so many days. But math..I don't know, I've always sucked at it. I'd skip math whenever there was another chick/dude wanting to skip. Which was quite often. We'd just walk to town and play b-ball for the hour :)
    Idk. Prolly because I've been kicked out of a couple schools for missing so many days. But math..I don't know, I've always sucked at it. I'd skip math whenever there was another chick/dude wanting to skip. Which was quite often. We'd just walk to town and play b-ball for the hour :)

Gotcha. I didn't really skip much school I guess until my senior year when my grades and GPA were fairly set. I still managed to drop for top 40 in my class to 66 or so if I remember lol. All in 2 marking periods as well.

As for Abstract, he already said his name is Robert and not Roberto :/

Not sure what community college you went to, but my university taught me more than I have learned my entire life. I don't believe 18 year old students can be quantified as day care participants.
    1st off, universities are overrated. You learn the same thing you could've learned at a community college, except you pay 100x more...for what? Your "professor" that doesn't even teach, instead he leaves and the TA teaches the class? Sounds like fun

2ndly, they seem to care more about their sports teams than the students.

3rdly, you get 1 teacher for a huge class of 300 or more? You're a nobody to them.

etc, etc...

1st off, universities are overrated. You learn the same thing you could've learned at a community college, except you pay 100x more...for what? Your "professor" that doesn't even teach, instead he leaves and the TA teaches the class? Sounds like fun

2ndly, they seem to care more about their sports teams than the students.

3rdly, you get 1 teacher for a huge class of 300 or more? You're a nobody to them.

etc, etc...

Like I said, I have no idea where you went. You say large classes and student bodies are a negative, but I strongly disagree. What about networking for a job? A grad of the same school is much more inclined to take on a grad from the same big name school rather than a school they may never have heard of.

As for the sports teams, I think this is a majorly naive view you have. On the face and the general public's news, it may appear this way. But in reality, sports are just a way to relate to the public and draw attention to the school. With more attention comes more students and more money for much needed research etc. In the end, only
  • ^* School and University is what you make of it.

OP: Unless you have a really specific reason why you want to learn Japanese, Chinese will be alot more useful.