Starting up a new server.... Need a few suggestions.

Ive been wanting to run a game server for quite a while and trying to get something going on a home connection just isnt going to to work. So i ordered myself a server and enough unmetered bandwidth to support about 42 players max.

I noticed a few threads on here stating the fact that newbies try to join, go on goon haven to get murdered and possibly never play again.

So i was thinking maybe i could run a deathmatch server with 32 players, two different DM servers with 16 each. Maybe some arena. And aim the gameplay to help new players stick with tribes2 for a little longer then one or two days.

So i'd like to here what you all think. It would be great to get a server up and keep it busy and fun.

Comments

• more servers the better i say.. only hard part is getting them to join your server. so id suggest a server name that would appeal to such players.
  • No one should get -murdered- on Goon Haven. They might get hit with mortar spam but I would assume it's pretty newbie friendly in general pub terms. We don't have any set skill level there.

But absolutely... the more servers the better! Good luck!
  • Find yourself a good team of people to help keep order and people will stick around for more games.
  • I think a Deathmatch server could be healthy. No reason to have two of them though, and there's already enough Arena servers. Did you buy just a T2 server from somewhere, or did you buy an actual dedicated server somewhere that you plan on running T2 servers off of?
  • I'd suggest a base server and something else. That would possibly draw in the base crowd that is still out there somewhere.
  • thebeaz: Ive always thought goonhaven was fun, but im not a new player. And there are allot of good players on that server which means trying to figure out the steep learning curve of t2 might seem scary among the mayhem. Personally, i love it.

Kryand: I did not specifically order a t2 server. Just a generic linux box. Going to have to put up with using wine, which seems to work alright so far.

Base and DM sounds cool.

Whatever happened to all the players from Rebels2/katabatic? Do they all play on GH now?
  • And away we go...

;)
  • In that case I'd suggest putting up server for a mod that doesn't already have a server. There's already classic CTF, base CTF, and v2 CTF (just because the second two are always empty doesn't mean we need more). Arena/Duel share a few servers, both base and classic.

Anyway, my recommendation is both a base and classic Deathmatch server with maybe 20 max players. At the very least we need a classic Deathmatch server, because that mod is an extremely useful practicing tool.
  • all in favor for base DM say i
  • Did someone say base wow good luck with your servers.
  • edited January 2010
    Did someone say base wow good luck with your servers.

Seems like you don't read anyone's posts here... Do you know that Arena usually is in base mode? Some people here don't like base CTF because of the 'unbalance' between offense and defense. That is all. Actually Arena plays better in base than in classic... It all depends on the gamemode.
    I don't think people hate and avoid base mode in general...
  • Oh I love base CTF more than classic to be honest to me base takes a bit more teamwork to get things done which I enjoy.Ya know you cant get in heavy and fly across a map in 5 seconds and rape a base.Which can sometimes be fun as hell but not when everyone is doing it.
  • Oh I love base CTF more than classic to be honest to me base takes a bit more teamwork to get things done which I enjoy.Ya know you cant get in heavy and fly across a map in 5 seconds and rape a base.Which can sometimes be fun as hell but not when everyone is doing it.

Concur. Heavies are supposed to need a ride.
  • I wish T2 had mortar and nade jumping
  • Sounds like base DM might be a winner to start out with. Im currently configuring the server and uploading files etc. Should be up for some tests by the weekend.
  • i hate base with a passion, but if you want to start a base server i have nothing against it

not sure if you'll actually get people to play on it though

at least it's not that awful version2
  • I also recommend having people spawn in favorites. And honestly, having 2 bots or so in the server would be beneficial, even despite how much people don't like them.
  • I definitely want spawn with favorites. Just get right into the action. And i'm rather impatient.
  • I also recommend having people spawn in favorites. And honestly, having 2 bots or so in the server would be beneficial, even despite how much people don't like them.

I second... third... however many we're up to... the spawn with favorites bid. One thing I definitely missed moving from T1 EliteRenegades to T2 Classic was always respawning with the things I need in order to be useful. Not to mention you wouldn't have to wait half the match for someone on your team to find the one repair pack and then live long enough to use it.
  • "how anyone can go back to base after skiing in v2 or classic is beyond me"
  • Well Deathmatch isn't about skiing, so Base DM isn't as much of an abomination as Base CTF. However, Deathmatch treated as its own independent thing is also a humorous idea when you look at the other complicated gametypes that Tribes 2 is capable of. It's best used to help people practice fighting so they can perform better in other gametypes. And seeing as how no one plays Base CTF, having a Base DM server is almost pointless. A Classic DM server would be much more beneficial.
  • Well Deathmatch isn't about skiing, so Base DM isn't as much of an abomination as Base CTF. However, Deathmatch treated as its own independent thing is also a humorous idea when you look at the other complicated gametypes that Tribes 2 is capable of. It's best used to help people practice fighting so they can perform better in other gametypes. And seeing as how no one plays Base CTF, having a Base DM server is almost pointless. A Classic DM server would be much more beneficial.

Good point. I fired up a base server last night. Base kinda felt like being neutered after playing classic on goon for so long.
  • i feel like throwing up if i play in goons for too long..
  • someimes the mortar spam at goons makes me buick too
  • it's much better than shrikes being the only way to get around
  • Alright, got two servers up for now while im testing, both with basic configs.

-TN- N00BTube - ClassicDM
    -TN- N00bTube - BaseDM

I'll be adding some maps later on as well as custom options like spawn with favorites. If you get a chance could you guys post your pings to these servers / your location. They are hosted on a pretty fast network in chicago and i get 64ms from vancouver which is pretty good i think.

Also any good server-side map suggestions / requests would help get this thing rolling.
  • The default maps should be good enough for Deathmatch in my opinion.
  • edited January 2010
    I wrote up a script that spawns players with favorites in DM. Unfortunately, this isn't it. I've reposted it.
  • i feel like throwing up if i play in goons for too long..
    Do you ever stop whining? We all get it. You don't like Goon Haven. Stay on topic or I will help you stop posting for a while.
  • You know what they say about actually testing stuff? Well, it's something I should do once in a while. If you downloaded the old .vl2 file that lets you spawn with favorites in DM, replace it with this one.