Online jerks

I haven't played online games much in the last few years. I've been really busy with real life. I did however come across T2 in an old folder and I had a break so I decided to light up T2 to play for a bit. Big mistake.

I have to say, I never noticed how many jerks played online. I would say 1 out of every 3 players are polite and friendly, while the rest are "noob this" or "suck that". After only a few hours of play, I'm left in a sour mood just having to deal with these poor sports. This might be similar to all online games, but like I said, I don't play online games anymore, I like "real life" and in real life, it's just the opposite of T2, most people are not jerks. So, why do people act like such jerks online? Most people are not jerks in real life, why do some think playing online is a free ticket to being a jerk?? Also T2 is a special case: it is close to death.

With T2 having less than 200 active players, I would think that if these players actually enjoyed playing T2, they would realize that acting like jerks makes the game a bad experience for others, and as a result, the community becomes smaller, and brings the end of T2 closer. Yes, I realize some of these players are young, but these concepts are not rocket science - when I was 12 I knew this shit.

So, I miss the old Tribes 2 - the one where you play online and people play for fun - this includes winning, and losing - the game where people were class acts not ass hats. The memory I had of T2 was so much better than this crap we have now. Maybe with the help of the poor sports in this community, T2 is finally dead.

It's ironic how some people act obnoxious but can't understand why no one wants to be near them. So, my question for you: do you play for fun or do you play to own? If you play to own, do you act like a jerk? If you act like a jerk do you think players will enjoy the game and continue playing, or will players leave the game?

This message is for the players who act like jerks - for those who act like class acts, and never act like an online jerk (or very rarely ;)), I salute you!

Comments

• While I think "online jerk" will make someone a fine t2 name, you have to play for the fun of the game and not the egos and drama. Just as some play to enjoy an actual game, some play merely to cause drama. Once you let all that slide into the torlit like it should, you can concentrate on the game rather than spam.
  • Welcome to the internet.
  • brb, paging Blindkilla to let him know someone made a thread about him, hohoho!
  • I don't know what you are talking about. Each time I play I count maybe one person being rowdy for the whole span of time that I am on the server. You are definitely blowing that "1 in 3 aren't jerks" figure way out of proportion. It's more like 1 in 20 is a jerk, 1 in 10 is actively being nice, and everyone else is minding their own business and trying to enjoy the game. That's basically the only way I can figure you got that ratio.
    With T2 having less than 200 active players, I would think that if these players actually enjoyed playing T2, they would realize that acting like jerks makes the game a bad experience for others, and as a result, the community becomes smaller, and brings the end of T2 closer. ...

You don't understand. The last person to quit T2 wins.
  • wow funny we see two of the biggest online jerks ever one after the other in this very thread hmmmmm.I guess it proves my theory about teratoes he does live life wedged up kryands ass.But if miss teratoes thinks I am an online jerk well that made me feel so good my heart grew 10 times inside.I hope you and kryand live happily ever after.I sent the flowers to teratoes well since he is the ahem girl in the relationship.On second thought this is kryand were talking about so I guess you two can share.
  • wow funny we see two of the biggest online jerks ever one after the other in this very thread hmmmmm.I guess it proves my theory about teratoes he does live life wedged up kryands ass.But if miss teratoes thinks I am an online jerk well that made me feel so good my heart grew 10 times inside.I hope you and kryand live happily ever after.I sent the flowers to teratoes well since he is the ahem girl in the relationship.On second thought this is kryand were talking about so I guess you two can share.
    See, I bet we'll have at least 14 more different people post before another person makes a post like this. 1 in 20.
  • edited March 2010
    well you and terry posted thats 2 in 20 actually.I am sure red shifter will be here soon that will be 3. Snap back to reality I know you enjoy having terry wedged so far that the sun dont shine But all anybody has to do is look at your forum history where you call anyone and eveyone who plays differently from you or has a different Idea in game play than you and every other word printed by you is noob this noob that.Now you think your some internet sweetie or something lmfao wake up boy smell the coffee. ::)
  • Posting to pad niceness count!
  • Posting to pad niceness count!
    lmfao nice.
  • little bit off subject if you ever come back VeCTeR are you the same VeCTeR as in
    VeCTeR-hud?
  • Welcome to the internet.

If you're saying "expect jerks on the internet", that's a fallacy: appeal to common practice. It's too late to explain what this means, I'll elaborate tomorrow lol
  • well you and terry posted thats 2 in 20 actually.I am sure red shifter will be here soon that will be 3. Snap back to reality I know you enjoy having terry wedged so far that the sun dont shine But all anybody has to do is look at your forum history where you call anyone and eveyone who plays differently from you or has a different Idea in game play than you and every other word printed by you is noob this noob that.Now you think your some internet sweetie or something lmfao wake up boy smell the coffee. ::)
    You and idiots like you are not "everyone", sorry.
  • While I think "online jerk" will make someone a fine t2 name, you have to play for the fun of the game and not the egos and drama. Just as some play to enjoy an actual game, some play merely to cause drama. Once you let all that slide into the torlit like it should, you can concentrate on the game rather than spam.

Well for me, I really don't enjoy games where people act like jerks. I think many people would agree that a game is much more enjoyable without players acting like jerks.
  • OT: Yes guys I made bomberhud and vecterhud. I've had T2 since april 2001, been playing off and on (mostly off) since then.
  • I don't know what you are talking about. Each time I play I count maybe one person being rowdy for the whole span of time that I am on the server. You are definitely blowing that "1 in 3 aren't jerks" figure way out of proportion. It's more like 1 in 20 is a jerk, 1 in 10 is actively being nice, and everyone else is minding their own business and trying to enjoy the game. That's basically the only way I can figure you got that ratio.

If someone says to you "you're the dumbest person I know" and I say to that person "well that's overly harsh!", I think you might appreciate my statement, right? What if I were to mind my own business and not say anything? My point is, there's times when people need to point out if someone is being verbally abusive. People who let online jerks be abusive to others are just enabling bad behavior and are part of the issue.

Think of the previous statement where someone says to you: "you're the dumbest person I know" and then everyone else minding their own business, then think of this: "silence is the sound of nobody disagreeing". If you're comfortable with this, think about some young teenager who receives this behavior? As someone said earlier, "welcome to the internet", well some people think being on the internet is a free pass to being a jerk, and they are sorely mistaken.

PS: Sorry for the harsh "you're the dumbest person I know", it's just to prove a point of how extreme some of these comments made in T2 are.
  • If someone says to you "you're the dumbest person I know" and I say to that person "well that's overly harsh!", I think you might appreciate my statement, right? What if I were to mind my own business and not say anything? My point is, there's times when people need to point out if someone is being verbally abusive. People who let online jerks be abusive to others are just enabling bad behavior and are part of the issue.

Think of the previous statement where someone says to you: "you're the dumbest person I know" and then everyone else minding their own business, then think of this: "silence is the sound of nobody disagreeing". If you're comfortable with this, think about some young teenager who receives this behavior? As someone said earlier, "welcome to the internet", well some people think being on the internet is a free pass to being a jerk, and they are sorely mistaken.
    To the first part, ironically, the opposite is true. The people being jerks are doing it solely to get a reaction out of you. Responding in any way encourages them. Ignoring them will make them give up eventually. Muting them is the best option. I almost never notice the in-game chat when I'm playing anyway - I imagine many other people are the same way. As far as teenagers receiving the harsh words... I'd say in this case it's far more likely that the teenager(s) are the ones dishing them out.
  • first of all people are what you call jerks online because of 1 concept: anonymity which is a state of being anonymous people can apply anything they want to the online word abusive behaviour sure, hacking go ahead i'm just saying anyone can do anything they wish on the internet, that concepts and ideas these people would normally not do, these people normally have severe anger issues they have problems in real life either there girl just left them or some other catasrophe in there life so, jerks are just that. Way well depends in a lot of ways there are multiple reasons people are the example they are.
  • online jerk silencer:
    // #autoload
    // #name = NoMoreFuckingGlobalPileOfFuckingShite
    // #author = ilys
    // #warrior = ilys
    // #category = ilys' Scripts

package NoMoreFuckingGlobalPileOfFuckingShite
    {
    	function clientCmdCannedChatMessage(%sender, %msgString, %name, %string, %keys, %voiceTag, %pitch)
    	{
       		%msg = detag( %msgString ); 
    		if (getSubStr(%msg,0,1) $= "\c4")
    			return;
    		parent::clientCmdCannedChatMessage(%sender, %msgString, %name, %string, %keys, %voiceTag, %pitch);
    	}

function clientCmdChatMessage(%sender, %voice, %pitch, %msgString, %a1, %a2, %a3, %a4, %a5, %a6, %a7, %a8, %a9, %a10)
    	{
       		%msg = detag( %msgString ); 
    		if (getSubStr(%msg,0,1) $= "\c4")
    			return;
    		parent::clientCmdChatMessage(%sender, %voice, %pitch, %msgString, %a1, %a2, %a3, %a4, %a5, %a6, %a7, %a8, %a9, %a10);
    	}
    };
    activatePackage(NoMoreFuckingGlobalPileOfFuckingShite);

In honor of this thread I created a t2 account: online jerk

Anyone can use it, the password is t2=drama
    "I guess it proves my theory about teratoes he does live life wedged up kryands ass."
  • I propose a new clan, online jerks, with numbers only to designate jerks one from another.

online jerk 1: Hey oj2, wussup?
    online jerk 2: Nada, chillin wif terrortoes an kry, spamin mortars at goons...
  • Welcome to the internet, where anonymity provides no real accountability.
    You're playing a game where you kill your enemies, the verbal abuse is part of this genre.
    Some might use it because they're flustered, others may use it as a tool (get the opponent to come after them instead of guard the flag, etc).
    If you don't care for this you can follow Kryands advice (ignore/mute), pick up a cleaner game (Hello Kitty Online), or follow some other path to enlightenment.
  • or play cs for a year, after that everyone will seem very friendly
  • This thread:
    full_of_win.jpg
  • first of all people are what you call jerks online because of 1 concept: anonymity which is a state of being anonymous people can apply anything they want to the online word abusive behaviour sure, hacking go ahead i'm just saying anyone can do anything they wish on the internet, that concepts and ideas these people would normally not do, these people normally have severe anger issues they have problems in real life either there girl just left them or some other catasrophe in there life so, jerks are just that. Way well depends in a lot of ways there are multiple reasons people are the example they are.

Yeah I agree, people hide behind their anonymity to act in ways they wouldn't normally act. The thing is, when a community accepts and enables this type of behavior, the behavior continues. Unfortunately it seems this type of immature behavior in T2 is just normal common practice, regardless of whether it is good "sportsmanship" or not.

I am thankful that over my 15 years of online play (off and on), I've played many other great games, mostly simulators, where the communities were awesome and "online jerks" were ridiculed or banned.
    Yeah, cuz you're so helpful. Like in my last thread when I asked how to bind a voice file to 1 key, you pointed me to a script to mute Global chat, and even added it to a ZIP file named "mutefags.zip"

To the original poster. This is the Internet. It's anonymous. there are many people who will do what they want. It's best to ignore them, otherwise you will have a horrible time wherever you go.
  • Well, the global chat script gets rid of global chat entirely making for a very quiet game, but the mute script does nothing more than keep voice bind scripts from producing sounds at your client other than those that were designated in the game as released. I find the no global script to be a bit too much so I just settle for mute.

I do try to help where I can.
    Yeah, cuz you're so helpful. Like in my last thread when I asked how to bind a voice file to 1 key, you pointed me to a script to mute Global chat, and even added it to a ZIP file named "mutefags.zip"

In response to your question (forgive me if you found an answer), your best bet might be to edit your script file (I'm guessing you are talking about a script? - there is an interface in-game to bind keys). Typically when you download something like a voicepack it is stored in a .vl2 file which is just a .zip archive. You can open it up and edit the files inside. The .cs files are the script source code stored in plaintext. Any text editor will let you make changes.

• In response to your question (forgive me if you found an answer), your best bet might be to edit your script file (I'm guessing you are talking about a script? - there is an interface in-game to bind keys). Typically when you download something like a voicepack it is stored in a .vl2 file which is just a .zip archive. You can open it up and edit the files inside. The .cs files are the script source code stored in plaintext. Any text editor will let you make changes.

What I was trying to do was take custom voice packs, like from Osiris, and bind them to 1 key. For example, press Number Pad 1 and it says something, instead of having to press "V->" like regular chat menu.
  • well you and terry posted thats 2 in 20 actually.I am sure red shifter will be here soon that will be 3. Snap back to reality I know you enjoy having terry wedged so far that the sun dont shine But all anybody has to do is look at your forum history where you call anyone and eveyone who plays differently from you or has a different Idea in game play than you and every other word printed by you is noob this noob that.Now you think your some internet sweetie or something lmfao wake up boy smell the coffee. ::)
    You and idiots like you are not "everyone", sorry.
    Kryand If your saying your "everyone" I fear for the people of are world.
This discussion has been closed.