Just Rediscovered Tribes, 2 questions

Hello all,

Tribes recently popped into my head so I did a search on it and found your lovely site here. I started jumping into games yesterday as soon as I finished the download. I noticed though that every single server I connected to is running a mod of some sort. I have nothing against mods and they are fun to play around with but these ones seem to change the game a little too much (different weapon modes, new walls/devices to place, new armors, etc.). A lot of them seem to make vehicles basically useless, instead of people flying transports there are weapons that can help project them across the map. I enjoy teaming up with the other players, discussing who will fly the transports or fly the scout/bomber ships, and it takes you a good minute or two to fly to the enemy base.

Basically my question is are there any servers that don't run mods and play the large scale maps I loved in Tribes 1 & 2? Also are there any news or fansites on Tribes still?

Comments

• Goon Haven 64

Runs Classic and big maps.

• Basically my question is are there any servers that don't run mods and play the large scale maps I loved in Tribes 1 & 2? Also are there any news or fansites on Tribes still?

Unfortunately, the only continuously heavily populated server is GoonHaven, which runs the Classic mod. As you're a fan of T2 Base like me, you have to track down some others and coordinate a time to fill one of the Base servers.

[flame suit on]
  • Classic is Tribes, base is not.

Anyone that plays anything other than Classic is a bad person and should go to jail.
  • 50% agree
  • I occasionally play meltdown two, does this mean I'm fucked?
  • edited March 2010
    Classic is Tribes, base is not.

Right, Classic is not Tribes 2.

As I said, if you want to play Tribes 2, find some friends and start filling a Base server. If you want to play Tribes, go play Tribes (or that Classic mod on Tribes 2).
  • I just wish they could stop people from over powering the chain gun to kill you in 1 second . I hate that more then any other cheat !
  • just get the unlimited energy cheat and you can avoid the superpowered chaingun cheat
  • Classic is Tribes, base is not.

Right, Classic is not Tribes 2.

As I said, if you want to play Tribes 2, find some friends and start filling a Base server. If you want to play Tribes, go play Tribes (or that Classic mod on Tribes 2).

The T2 developers apologized for the mistake (i.e. base) and supported the Classic fix for T2.

So if you want to play the way it was supposed to be, play Classic.
  • Yeah really, Classic wasn't just a mod, it was released as part of the game in an official patch. The T2 devs knew the designers of Classic did a much better job tweaking the game than they did.
  • I didn't mean to start a debate on classic vs base. But since it came up, what is the difference between the two modes?
  • Base is very slow-paced, skiing doesn't work properly, and the gameplay is very unbalanced in favor of defense - as in, the offense has to work ridiculous hard for every cap, and all the defense has to do to stop it is have one guy stand near the flag with an ELF gun. Or someone standing anywhere with a laser rifle. Pretty much any one guy who can aim with any weapon is all it takes to stop any cap attempt in Base, no matter how hard the offense is working.

Classic is faster-paced, skiing actually redirects your momentum like it's supposed to, and the defense has to work just as hard as the offense if they want to stop caps or defend the base.

On the flip side, Base really shines with dueling strategy. Base duel is more about out-witting your opponent and playing smart with your positioning and the like. Classic duel is about having a grenade launcher and holding your left mouse button while looking in your opponent's general direction.
  • Thanks Kryand for that explanation. Sounds like Classic is the way to go, just need to have a server play the old original Tribes maps.

I have noticed while playing the gameplay seems to be a lot faster and more hectic than I remember, people are just bouncing everywhere and it is total chaos on some maps. What was the original mode that Tribes 2 came with at release?
  • I have noticed while playing the gameplay seems to be a lot faster and more hectic than I remember, people are just bouncing everywhere and it is total chaos on some maps. What was the original mode that Tribes 2 came with at release?

Base, but then they released the Classic mod. The Classic mode enables a lot of people to gain A LOT of momentum with it's fix on base.

EDIT: Oh... and welcome back!
  • And before you get discourage, there are a lot of douchebags on GoonHaven who think they are almighty gods or something. They talk trash and will try to ruin your time. It is best to ignore them.
  • And before you get discourage, there are a lot of douchebags on GoonHaven who think they are almighty gods or something. They talk trash and will try to ruin your time. It is best to ignore them.

$enablecheats = true;
    giveall();

But...... I am god!