T2 Base Server w/Vehicle Maps? (Houston/Miami Vehs)

So where are these servers? I only see a 50+ player Goon server that mostly plays non-vehicle maps w/Classic ruleset. Is there any possibility of someone setting up a Base T2 server (or one with an admin mod like what was running on Houston Vehs/Miami Vehs years ago) that contains all-vehicle maps? That way everyone gets what they want outta T2.

Thanks!

Comments

• It would be nice. And also I noticed that tonight two out of three of the top servers were locked with passwords. My only other alternative was the above mentioned goons or a 32 player server with 16 bots, no thanks.
  • edited January 2009
    I agree... I actually toyed around with the idea of setting up a server myself and seeing if I could attract players. Unfortunately, I am a home user and in spite of my internet being fast enough to handle a large amount of players (like 60), I do not have a lan set up or a spare PC fast enough to be a dedicated server.

I also could not find an admin mod that allowed me to choose maps that I want to put in rotation and I do not know how to delete certain basic maps that came with T2.

I can, however, offer a suggestion to the maps I would love LOVE to have as a rotation set:

Artillery
    Battle in the Stars
    Blastside
    Blood of Ice
    Circle of Stones
    Desert Rain
    Duelers Inferno
    Fuzzy Pumpkins
    Hillside
    Machineheads Flag Arena
    Minotaur
    Ocean Front Property
    October Rust
    Raindance
    Sarcophogus
    Sentinel
    Slap Dash
    Storm Dash
    Titan V
    Tombstone V
    Twin Towers V
    Valley War

I will add more as I think of them. As it stands, these are the maps that I always found highly entertaining. They all provided a good mix of fun because no one vehicle or role dominated the game (aside from the obvious high intensity maps like Minotaur/Artillery/Machineheads).
  • Your map rotation needs:
    http://evoadmin.triben.de/

Or, you can just use the default map rotation prefs built into Tribes 2 if you're really good. ;)
  • Triben.de is effed up, but I have the zip file, so just pm me if you need it.
  • I run Goon Haven... just wanted to chime in that we don't focus on non-vehicle maps (in fact it's not Tribes without vehicles to me either), but we do use the standard mapcycle (or whatever the popular vote determines).

Also, the server only has a password when there are 64 players on it (68 slots, but those 4 are for admins). So if you want to play there, just wait for it to drop to 63 or less and hop in!
  • I run Goon Haven... just wanted to chime in that we don't focus on non-vehicle maps (in fact it's not Tribes without vehicles to me either), but we do use the standard mapcycle (or whatever the popular vote determines).

Also, the server only has a password when there are 64 players on it (68 slots, but those 4 are for admins). So if you want to play there, just wait for it to drop to 63 or less and hop in!

Thanks friend for the info. I would suggest using something like what I suggested for the rotation of your maps then as most of them (Mino, Dueler's inferno and Machineheads excluded) are all vehicle-centric. I noticed that Hillside was played tonight which is awesome! Please add circle of Stones to the lineup if nothing else since that is about the best map ever!

Thanks again for hosting the server, it is appreciated!
  • It's not Base but:

Dallas Vehicles

72.232.199.162:28000

It's a fun variant of the V2 mod; you spawn in light with your loadout... lot's of fun changes to keep the game play going. It's primarily set up for vehicles, lot's of vehicle action.
  • Wow, i'm so pleasantly surprised all the replies have been civilized. I guess I just got too used to all the punks and hoodlums on Tribalwar's forums =P.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, especially Goon server's admin. Is there any chance on the Goon admins possibly hosting two servers? One like Miami/Houston Vehs (base T2 w/admin mod and supporting 64 players) and one in classic mode with very little vehicle maps (such as hte server you have now)? I think there's a large contingent of T2 players that would very much love to have the option of playing on either one. I know that, for myself, I'd spend most of my time on the vehicle server, but it would be nice to have an alternative every now and then. A classic server would go a long way to satisfy those T1 enthusiasts as well.

This is the first time i've heard of Dallas Vehicles; maybe I just didn't see it on the list. Then again, I usually don't try heavily modded games like Shifter/Renegades. Base T2 has a beautiful simplicity to it, which I think a lot of people loved, as shown by such large #s of players on Miami/Houston vehs. Anyways, I'll try this V2 mod though; thanks again!
  • Wow, i'm so pleasantly surprised all the replies have been civilized. I guess I just got too used to all the punks and hoodlums on Tribalwar's forums =P.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, especially Goon server's admin. Is there any chance on the Goon admins possibly hosting two servers? One like Miami/Houston Vehs (base T2 w/admin mod and supporting 64 players) and one in classic mode with very little vehicle maps (such as hte server you have now)? I think there's a large contingent of T2 players that would very much love to have the option of playing on either one. I know that, for myself, I'd spend most of my time on the vehicle server, but it would be nice to have an alternative every now and then. A classic server would go a long way to satisfy those T1 enthusiasts as well.

This is the first time i've heard of Dallas Vehicles; maybe I just didn't see it on the list. Then again, I usually don't try heavily modded games like Shifter/Renegades. Base T2 has a beautiful simplicity to it, which I think a lot of people loved, as shown by such large #s of players on Miami/Houston vehs. Anyways, I'll try this V2 mod though; thanks again!

Well EWO took over as primary T2 Base vehicle server when Miami Vehicles turned their server over to them, on the last Humans vs Derms war. I was in the server that night.

Striker created Dallas Vehicles in honor of Miami and Houston Vehicles but decided to build it using the V2 mod. He made some interesting changes within the mod. I think the server is still running in lan mode but I gave you the IP, it's worth a look if you enjoy fun with vehicles.

It's sad that a civilized response is a rarity. I'm not a 13yr old egomaniac Tribes God... I'm just a guy with my own server and a lot of bandwidth ;)

I do currently run 2 servers (the other is a 32 man)... and I would be happy to put something on it that would increase traffic. The only problem that I don't know how to modify the map cycle, am not familiar with many mods, etc. I basically set up two servers and ask the SA Goons "What do you want on them? Find it, describe what it does, point me at it." I want the community to have healthy servers to play on, so I don't mind creating some kind of "Goon Vehicles" server.
  • My clanmates have asked me to put up a Base Server, it'd probably run some Rabbit mods and Base maps (with vehicles too).

My only problem is I can not get the server to compile :( I'm running a Linux amd 64 ubuntu machine and have been running into numerous errors. I'll still be working on it, but I'm not sure when/if I'll ever get it up.

I second this. I love playing with vehicles and there just aren't enough servers right now with that option.
  • EWo indeed used(/is?) the place to be for a base/vehicles server. They're still up and running, and their Friday Night Fights -pickup games (4pm PST IIRC) still get a decent amount of people.

Their ardent choice to not implent tribesnext really pains me though, as my favourite gametype it really hurts to see a good 64-man base/vehicle server stand empty roughly 6 days a week, but hey, it's their choice if they want to stay completely invisible for everyone who's picked up the game (again) because of Tribesnext - Not exactly the first time that e-drama's asploaded around their community :V

Anyway, regardless of everything, I'd still recommend anyone interested to pop in on friday if not otherwise, there's usually is good games to be had as long as there just is people there to play them :p.

But yeah, it'd be interesting to see how much a a base/vehicles server under tribesnext would garner players. And while not exactly the same, so far HV's been mostly empty from what I've seen... D:
  • Well, Goons has gotten 50+ players consitently. If the Goons Admin is willing to convert his server to an all-Vehicle map server, then it'd probably keep getting all those players, if not more. And this is without an organized weekly fightnight!

Is there anyone out there that knows what Miami/Houston/EWO servers run admin mod-wise and map-wise that could hook TheBeaz up? He sounds like he's willing to make the changes to his Goon server, if only the community helped him figure out what all he should be running. Unfortunatly I don't know the admin mod name, nor all the maps those servers were running.
  • I am trying to talk with some of the old HV boys about getting a base server up we are hoping to get things going in the near future if you guys have any suggestions come to are website http://www.hvelite.com/
  • Would like to see a miami/huston like server BUT NOT HOSTED BY GOONS
  • well I could probably get some maps or something for the goon server that have vehicles on them I am In touch with a buddy he told me he has a bunch from the old HV days just have someone contact me at the site I posted up above. What we ran at HV was actually called HV admin made by wembly are server guru,But iWill try to help out with what I can and if all possible we might even put a server up in the near future. ;D
  • edited January 2009
    Hey Sniper, did you know I was a Tribes player long before I knew what Something Awful was? Seriously, kiss my ass. I'm providing a server for everyone to play on. Do you see a password on it? Something Awful is spreading the word and bringing tons of new players to the game. "Goons" are the same people as you... people who sit on the computer all day. Lighten up.

Back on topic:

I'd love to have my main server be all vehicles/mostly vehicles. I'm trying to get the Evo admin mod to work on my 32 man as a test... but I'm having issues. Please see the admin mod thread in "Server Support" and post there if you think you can help.

Back to Sniper:

In all seriousness, if you have grievances against how my server is run, I have a place for that (Goon Haven thread). If an admin treated you unfairly, there is a place for that (that same thread). However if PLAYERS of the server (which are mostly PUBLIC players and not GOONS!!!!!!) votekicked you, there's nothing I could do. Quit being so hurt and just come back and play. You're welcome for me being 100x more receptive and patient than you are.

edit: Blindkilla: Some of the SA folks used to know wembly. I tried to get in contact with him to see if he'd share some scripts, but I never heard back from him. I was possibly just ignored, but I don't know if he's still even active. Do you know?
  • I actually still have him on msn but have not spoken with him in awhile.I guess I can try and give a shout out to him and see if he responds you never know.The guy was A genuis IMO.I mean I think people would love some of his scripts if he still has them around it would be great to have the vehicle lock and eject script to keep out unwanted player from your vehicles. ;D
  • Yeah, the vehicle lock/passanger eject @ vpad script would REALLY be great to have especially when there are so many people who keep jumping in tailgunner seats in energy packs or even light armor on the goon server.

I know EWO at least used to have it running on their server at some point, don't know if they still do - you could try asking them, but I wouldn't put too much hope on them wanting to share.
  • well the script was made originally by wembly for houston vehicles ages ago only problem is I dont know if he even still has any of his old scriots I will try and get ahold of him this weekend and see what happens I dont even know if he knows about tribesnext at all.I have a good relations with most of the people at EWO dont know if I can get the script from them though.
  • Their ardent choice to not implent tribesnext really pains me though, as my favourite gametype it really hurts to see a good 64-man base/vehicle server stand empty roughly 6 days a week, but hey, it's their choice if they want to stay completely invisible for everyone who's picked up the game (again) because of Tribesnext - Not exactly the first time that e-drama's asploaded around their community :V

They're only hurting themselves by doing that. But then again that's their choice to not go where the players are.
  • As a former Houston Vehicles admin like Blindkilla, we are working on a solution to your BASE / Vehicles needs.

Stay tuned!

|HVa| TerraNova
  • Glasnost :: Tribes 2 (the server I run) runs strictly base. Does that count?
  • This code will allow the pilot to eject passengers from vehicles by pressing numbers 1 through 6. Additionally, players can "eject" themselves by pushing 6. Spacebar still works normally.

1 = Pilot(self)
    2 = node(1) (turreteer on turret vehicles)
    3 = node(2) (passenger)
    4 = node(3) (passenger)
    5 = node(4) (passenger)
    6 = node(5) (passenger)

Step #1 - Inventory.cs
    1a) add this to function serverCmdSelectWeaponSlot
    if (%client.player)
    if (%client.player.getObjectMount())
    callEject(%client.player, %data);

1b) Add this function below the other:
    function callEject(%player, %num)
    {
    %veh = %player.getObjectMount();
    if (!(%veh.getType() & $TypeMasks::VehicleObjectType))
    return;
    if (%veh.getMountNodeObject(0) == %player)
    {
    %obj = %veh.getMountNodeObject(%num);
    if(%obj)
    {
    if (%obj.getType() & $TypeMasks::PlayerObjectType)
    {
    %obj.getDataBlock().doDismount(%obj, 0, 1); 
    }
    }
    }
    else if(%num == 5)
    %player.getDataBlock().doDismount(%player, 0, 1);
    }

Step #2 - Player.cs
    Find function Armor::doDismount and change its declaration to accept another argument like this:
    function Armor::doDismount(%this, %obj, %forced, %Eject) //added %Eject 

Now, in that function, just above the line:
    // Position above dismount point

add this:
    if (%Eject)
    %push = 75; //ejection force
    else
    %push = 1;  //regular

Finially at the bottom of the function, change:
    %obj.applyImpulse(%pos, VectorScale(%impulseVec, %obj.getDataBlock().mass * 3)); 

to
    %obj.applyImpulse(%pos, VectorScale(%impulseVec, %obj.getDataBlock().mass * 3 * %push)); 

Might want to tweak the %push = 75 variable. Currently it's set up for base and it flings you pretty far. Not sure how the increased inertia in classic will affect it.
  • A high # of players, base server with vehicle maps is my wet dream and cannot come soon enough. It is the way tribes is meant to be played IMO and classic isnt doing it for me :( We should also get one going before too many players new to tribes get used to classic ........
  • Well it's still very possible that I'll have a 64 slot non-classic server, but right now I'm trying to increase the number of vehicle maps available. At least with vehicles AND classic there's a little bit of something for everyone.
  • A Houston Vehicles server is up. now all it needs is some people in it to open the floodgates
  • It'd help if it didn't come with bots for default. Seriously :/.
  • It'd help if it didn't come with bots for default. Seriously :/.

it doesnt....

?