Be GOOD at capping, not necessarily grabbing.

Awright, I've been pretty annoyed at how the teams I play on loose 409 to 410. Thus, I have an idea. Remember, this is entirely opinion and I'm not submitting anything as facts.

Flag caps: worth 105 points-ish (variable)

Flag GRABS (on stand): MINUS ONE POINT

Admittedly, this won't be put in the game or anything. It's just an idea. Plus, it would mean that the people who do flag runs where the flag isn't returned will have more points than the people who keep touching it and dying.

Comments

• grabs don't matter

never have, never will

only total noobs think they do
  • if a grab will get the flag to where my mates are so they can cap, im gonna grab
  • edited July 2010
    grabs don't matter

never have, never will

only total noobs think they do

I don't really care much for grabs, either. The point I'm trying to make is that people making grabs, dying immediately, and the flag returning to the stand GETS THE TEAM POINTS FOR GRABBING. Which I have a problem with, because it takes no skill to touch the flag and die. Yet doing this could win the match (see above regarding 409 vs 410). Yes, I see its effectiveness regarding tie breakers, but it goes in the wrong direction. People who make "perfect/semiperfect" runs (grab and cap without the flag being returned/ grab-die-pass-cap) don't get as many team points as the people who go one at a time in an eight man chain capping and dying and getting the flag returned one right after another. A team that does that could have a score of 450 compared to your score of 404. I don't think that's right.
    if a grab will get the flag to where my mates are so they can cap, im gonna grab

You go right ahead and do that. It's the one point you get for grabbing and dying that annoys me.
  • i kinda agree with you that grabs shouldnt count pointwise but it is an indicator of effort when each team has the same caps but not grabs
  • edited July 2010
    i kinda agree with you that grabs shouldnt count pointwise but it is an indicator of effort when each team has the same caps but not grabs

Eh... I really don't think the grabs take much effort. I think you've been on while I'm playing, you may have seen me in the distance playing "Butterfly Effect" or repairing/defending something. You know, trying to be non confrontational because I suck :P (except in a bomber, something I've noticed is considered a "Waste of Time" [Kryand *cough*]) One thing you'll notice is that I only touch the flag if it's at my base. I think it takes no effort to grab the flag off the stand. What DOES take effort is getting the #@!! out of there without getting your @$$ sniped or disc'd or mortared. It also takes some effort to have the flag at the base when everything is trying to kill you. Kinda why I don't use stuff like the grenade launcher or mine-disc, they don't take effort... I'm just saying people shouldn't be rewarded for shooting themselves at 9001kph (argh...) at a flag and dying on a mine.

Doing the MINUS ONE rule would mean, effectively, Hey! You gotta PLAN a bit! That's right, if you like going up and DYING, you'll make your team LOOSE and HATE YOU! Suck on THAT, Zelta 1! (no offense zelta, that really was a lucky shot across the map. I had intended to make that clear, but I was busy being attacked and forgot. I don't know if he reads this stuff, but he's a good duelist. He's part of the reason I'm so non confrontational now :) )
  • lol zeltas a drunken communist git!

but really, i agree with you that it takes no skill to fly in at over 220kph and grab a flag, skating away at the same speed

how can anyone catch you after youve skated away at 220?

anyway thats why i never use vehicles to cap, fight your way in, fight your way out with the flag, on foot/skiing

that is zen of t2

i agree the minedisk spam is obscene, as is mortar spam, the gl i use a lot, but the worst of the lot is the bomber crew who makes one pass, kills your entire team, break every base turret and deployed turret, smashes 4 guys at the vpad AND the vpad

wheres the challenge after that?

sometimes i wonder about the people who designed this game

at the end of the map the cost of the vehicles crashed by each player should be deducted from their scores

thatd be funny
  • lol zeltas a drunken communist git!

but really, i agree with you that it takes no skill to fly in at over 220kph and grab a flag, skating away at the same speed

True dat, yo. The only part of that operation that takes SOME (almost no) skill is to fire a disc and knock away any juggies or mines that could be lying there. And that's not necessary in quite a few maps.
    at the end of the map the cost of the vehicles crashed by each player should be deducted from their scores

thatd be funny

Also funny! Now the people who dive in on Shrikes lose points because they need to try six times to get a cap!

Although I don't think they should lose points if they're shot down. That should probably be extra points to the Shriker/missile launcher. More if they used a mortar :D (that's for all the old skoolers who can actually aim a mortar and not have to spam to hit what they want to hit)
  • Awright, I've been pretty annoyed at how the teams I play on loose 409 to 410.

With that score, surely the time limit ran it's course with both teams about 50% grap to cap ratio. Either good defence or sorry offense by the current teams... or both. heh
    Is this pub or tourney play? If it was comp play, I'd be a bit upset loosing by one grab.
    Besides, if the opponents flag is not on it's stand, they cannot score. Said true with your team flag. Knocking the opponents flag off it's stand with random death grabs keep the defenders busy and they would have less time to react when the real strike arrives.

sshot0010_03.gif
    sshot0010_07.gif

;D
  • With that score, surely the time limit ran it's course with both teams about 50% grap to cap ratio. Either good defence or sorry offense by the current teams... or both. heh
    Is this pub or tourney play? If it was comp play, I'd be a bit upset loosing by one grab.
    Besides, if the opponents flag is not on it's stand, they cannot score. Said true with your team flag. Knocking the opponents flag off it's stand with random death grabs keep the defenders busy and they would have less time to react when the real strike arrives.

;D

Heh, enough people play for comp play? There's really only one server I know of that COULD have the baserape enabled.

But seriously. Yes they can't score if their flag isn't on their stand. Thing is, YOU CAN'T EITHER. Thus, balanced. And taking it off the stand is the only thing that would make you lose points, so if you got it off and someone else capped it, you'd still only lose one point. If they returned it and THEN someone capped it, you'd have lost two points. (and then gained whatever you get for flag caps)

And keeping the defense busy isn't that hard. Random discs can happen faster than random flag grabs. Read the Bastard's guide, he mentions this for a reason.
  • Flag grabs are worth a point because variant was so horribly designed that CTF barely ever had captures at all, and they thought it was more interesting than having 0-0 scores.

There is no need for the 100-point cap system in classic except for statistics purposes.
  • Flag grabs are worth a point because variant was so horribly designed that CTF barely ever had captures at all, and they thought it was more interesting than having 0-0 scores.

There is no need for the 100-point cap system in classic except for statistics purposes.

...Wow... I knew authority had a tendency to be stupid, but... wow... It's a good idea, but they worked it BACKWARDS... Anyway, for statistics, you could just put that at the end of the game. Have each team and what their "grab-to-cap" ratio is. Shazam, instant statistics.