Alienware M11x

I'm getting the Alienware M11x,Overclockable Intel Core i7 640UM (4M Cache, 2.266 GHz Max Turbo Frequency),4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz ,1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M 320GB SATAII 7,200RPM Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit..and a 20 to 30 downstream connection....Can I play tribes 2 on it and will I have an edge?

Comments

• Well, it will give you an edge. Everyone in the game will be too busy laughing at you for all the money you spent just because of the brand name when you could've gotten twice as much for half price if you got a custom built CPU.

Also, that's overkill. Literally. Even with all that stuff you could get hickups and UE's.

And just in case you were serious because you are new to computers, Tribes 2 is a 9 year old game. It needs like a 16 MB card and 64 MB ram for heaven's sake.
  • The issue with t2 is and always has been how the fps drops when there are 50 players on screen firing a thousand projectiles. With all this activity on screen and the rather large amount of terrain to be rendered, coupled with the hi resolutions most lcds run natively at, the most powerfull video card you can obtain is always a good idea. The game was written so even voodoo3, rage128, or tnt2 owners could play, but by "play" means 30fps or so at 800x600 resolution, and fps will drop to way less when anything is going on with these vid cards. If you want to add features like antialiasing and anisotropic filtration, these take a lot of vid card processing so the most powerfull card you can obtain is much warranted.

As to cpu needs, t2 needs very little cpu, and the game loop t2 runs is not multithreaded, so you will often find smoother performance of the game with a single core over a multiple core cpu or smp system. In task manager if you look and find several threads owned by t2, only one of them is the game loop, the rest are for tn.

The main needs as far as t2 gaming power are video first, network access second, cpu third.
  • Lonesome: didn't buy it just to play T2. Was asking to see if I was able to play it on my system and I gather both you and Blackhart answered my question. ::)
  • I'm getting the Alienware M11x,Overclockable Intel Core i7 640UM (4M Cache, 2.266 GHz Max Turbo Frequency),4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz ,1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M 320GB SATAII 7,200RPM Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit..and a 20 to 30 downstream connection....Can I play tribes 2 on it and will I have an edge?

Congrats on your big name-brand purchase that is inferior to my build from last year.

I laugh in your general direction llama.
  • Lonesome: didn't buy it just to play T2. Was asking to see if I was able to play it on my system and I gather both you and Blackhart answered my question. ::)
    Are you being serious? Tribes 2 is a 9 year old game.............why would you have trouble running it? Except maybe the Windows 7 part.

Also, Alienware is like buying prebuilt computers at a retail store. You could spend 1/2 the money and get a custom one built that's twice as powerful.
  • Of all the things to buy... you bought alienware?
  • Just play and don't worry about it. Use it every day so if it fails you can get it fixed or replaced on their dime.
  • sheesh I didn't know I'd get blasted for buying it. :-\ but I bought this laptop for a couple of reasons. to play the most graphics demanding games smoothly, wirelessly while on the road. Bought it for 1200. So I bought it for ultraportability and for an 11 inch laptop it packs a punch. And of course Tribes 2 is my fave game! ;D
  • Windows 7 might ruin it.

I have a 1gb GeForce 9650m GT in my laptop, but can use only drivers inferior to 180. And even with the old drivers I can't run T2 without troubles (newer games work fine). I have to play it in window mode, because otherwise it starts to flicker.
  • How can you play wirelessly on the road? Don't you get horrible lag? I know those Internet anywhere cards have bad upload speeds (for gaming).
  • Ignore the trolls. Just use it for what you bought it for. Will it give you an edge in Tribes 2? I don't know, depends on what your last computer was. While I personally prefer 30-60 fps rather than >100 super smooth action, as long as nobody's lagging badly the playing field's pretty even.
  • edited August 2010
    Well I have a kick ass Laptop also. I really did not really need all this powerfull of a Laptop but I got a good deal. Asus K61IC 2.5 Ghz With 8 Gigs With Windows 7 Ultimate with a OCZ Vertex Pro 100GB SSD ( Reads 287 mb/s Writes 291 mb/s ) Boots Windoiws 7 In 17 Seconds. I cant complain ;D

I guess I kinda look at it Like A Condom:

[glow=red,2,300] I'd rather have it and not need it.... Then need it and not have one!"[/glow]

In other words it nice to have the power when you need it! But if you dont need its nice to know that its there when you do need it. ;D

So slamming a person for having a kick ass laptop is just not kool guys.

Have a nice day ;)

• So slamming a person for having a kick ass laptop is just not kool guys.
    Not slamming him for having a nice laptop. Slamming him for buying and Alienware.
  • edited August 2010

So slamming a person for having a kick ass laptop is just not kool guys.
    Not slamming him for having a nice laptop. Slamming him for buying and Alienware.

It should not matter what a person buys and/or for how much. It's a personal decision that makes a person happy regardless of what other people may think of his/her decisions. So if people don't like a persons decision on what they may do ..... Get over it.... and move on!

Have a Nice Day! ;D