None

edited January 2014 in General Discussion
-

Comments

• Laptops are decent, but they quickly wear down. My Toshiba laptop lasted about 3 1/2 years. Near the end of it's life it got hot very quickly and the screen was messed up. There were a couple of blue vertical lines going down the side of the screen. All the components are cramped up in a tight space with a little fan. Compare that to a desktop tower. Open it up and there's air in 1/2 of the case. Plenty of breathing room.

Laptops are a bitch to get fixed. Desktops would be cheaper, but both should come with a 1 year warranty. In my personal opinion I would say get a desktop. They are cheaper, more powerful, last longer, and are easier to upgrade if you need to. Laptops are good, but the way they are designed...well they just don't last long.
  • FYI, you can still use a monitor with a laptop assuming neither of them are pieces of shit. Pretty much all laptops now have HDMI-out, and HDMI can be easily converted to DVI to plug into a monitor. So, wanting a big screen to watch things on shouldn't be a factor.
  • FYI, you can still use a monitor with a laptop assuming neither of them are pieces of shit. Pretty much all laptops now have HDMI-out, and HDMI can be easily converted to DVI to plug into a monitor. So, wanting a big screen to watch things on shouldn't be a factor.
    Every laptop should also have VGA output. Every monitor has VGA, so you could hook them up that way. And some monitors also have HDMI so you wouldn't even need to get an HDMI to DVI adapter if you got the right one.
  • In my opinion laptops are not really sensible for gaming because of the heat gaming causes, even the ones that are advertised for gaming. No laptop is able to take this heat like a desktop system does. Caps will dry out, heat sink grease will dry out too, and this destruction will happen much faster in a laptop than in a desktop. Laptops are great for portability and office/student work and other things that do not generate so much heat. But in the end you run what you got, laptop or desktop.
  • Yeah, but you can laugh at all the laptop users.