Reviving PlanetTribes

Anyone interested in seeing PlanetTribes being brought back? I know the site has been dead for a long while, but with the recent interest in Tribes2 maybe something could be done to bring it back. As a Gamespy staffer and longtime Tribes fan I hate to see a good planet site go dead.

Comments

• I'll help in anyway i can, which isn't too much:-P
    I'm good at signing petitions and emailing the "man"!
  • I think it'd be good to try and focus the tribes community around one central hub. Why not make THIS site the new planettribes or something?

It'd be better to have one website that handles a lot of aspects of the game than a thousand websites that handle separate aspects. Keep the community united and etc blah blah blah.
  • I agree with Kachak.

One stop here should be all you need, + that's easier for us to spread the word to our friends. "Hey go to www.tribesnext.com and you'll figure it out."
  • I think it'd be good to try and focus the tribes community around one central hub. Why not make THIS site the new planettribes or something?

It'd be better to have one website that handles a lot of aspects of the game than a thousand websites that handle separate aspects. Keep the community united and etc blah blah blah.

I agree but I also do not want to "burn out" or overload the good people from Tribesnext. If they want to make more of a PR effort with their site (like hosting maps, tourneys, guides, etc.) then that is one thing, but if they really just prefer to be the back end of the T2 client and play themselves, then maybe PlanetTribes can be the official portal for the community or something.

At the very least, maybe the OP can pass the word along to PT.com and make a homepage notice redirecting gamers here for the time.
  • Well we really need to keep the player base under one community, al least while its just starting to build back up. I mean there are like 10 different tribes sites I know of and having people go to all different one is a bad thing, at least when there arent alot of players. The situation is better then right before they shut the master server down, there where like 25 or less people on. But the max I think i've seen with all the servers added together now is like 100, which believe me I think is great, but I still dont think its anough to have the community start breaking into different factions. If people who used to go to planet tribes want to revive it I think thats fine, but when telling new players about the game I think everyone should tell them that tribes next is the place to go. That way newbloods dont go into any old tribes site and wonder where all the great players supposidly in the community went.
  • Well...it was mothballed by the people higher up. I haven't seen any planet- site come out of a mothball state.
    One site is good enough...which is here.

I can read all wikipedia rules and whatnot and try to see if this site can somehow be mentioned there. It's a longshot, and they are strict as hell.
  • TribesNext isn't the first attempt at bringing Tribes 2 back (but here's to hoping it's the most successful!), so having a list of all the projects, TribesNext included, that have tried to revive the game would count as useful information.

WP had the links to the Tribes 1 downloads for a long time (that's how I first got into all this), I would think that a project like this should have some notability.

Not to mention that like every gamer blog out there worth its salt is talking about TribesNext.
  • Building from here sounds best to me. I never really liked Planet Tribes too much to be perfectly honest.. I always would rather use a developers personal site and such. I think our main focus should be to get the word of Tribes Next out to as many as we can. Notify all the ex clannies, the old scripters, skinners (Oh lord Skinners Guild was the SHIT) and even the low life spammers such as myself ^^.

NOTIFY EVERYONE, and let's get this shit rolling!

I agree, there's too much taking players away from the community as it is. Like significantly smaller auth factions, pickup games being posted in places other than here. We need to keep everyone interacted and to do that we need to bring them together. This is the place.
  • Actually guys, I'm a mod at Planettribes, and I can tell you that it would be very unlikely to return. The forums could definitely use the traffic, but the news site was basically closed for good. I could talk with people to see about changing that, but from the sounds of it, no one wants it to return anyway ;) Tribalwar is still mildly active too, but I'm REALLY not a big fan of that site.

There's also www.tacmod.com (my site), which is meant for the TAC mod, but general discussions are welcome too ;)
  • Actually guys, I'm a mod at Planettribes, and I can tell you that it would be very unlikely to return. The forums could definitely use the traffic, but the news site was basically closed for good. I could talk with people to see about changing that, but from the sounds of it, no one wants it to return anyway ;) Tribalwar is still mildly active too, but I'm REALLY not a big fan of that site.

There's also www.tacmod.com (my site), which is meant for the TAC mod, but general discussions are welcome too ;)

I checked out your site, do you ever have pickup games? If yes, be sure to post them in the calendar section. BTW, great site!
  • I say the more the merrier the more people that now about tribes next the better and bigger it will become.
  • I checked out your site, do you ever have pickup games? If yes, be sure to post them in the calendar section. BTW, great site!
    Thanks... I'm actually working on revamping the site, now that tribesnext seems to have injected more players.
    There have been talks about pickup games, but they never seem to turn into anything (at least in the past). Personally, I can only make it to Friday night games (due to work schedules and such), but I know others would love to have mid week games.
    The regulars for TAC are a good group of guys and are very willing to help anyone who isn't familiar with the mod. Feel free to post/ask questions ;)
  • I can't agree that reviving PlanetTribes would "draw away" people from "the community", it would probaly do the opposite!

Helping the word get out, helping files find their way around and so on...
  • Hey guys, I think many of you all have valid points. I think that a central website is necessary for the community.

If I might suggest that perhaps www.tribaloutpost.com might be an ideal website to make this happen. Granted tribesnext.com is what has made the come back of Tribes2 possible, as a few of you have pointed out we don't want to overload them.

The possibility of planettribes of coming back is not very likely before they went down I tried to make a deal with them to share content and to help keep the site going, but since they were attached to viviendi, the answer was no.

TribalOutpost.com has the infrastructure to support the community too. Anywho just wanted to provide my two cents on the matter. I would love to do this for the community, and those of you who know me, I will make this happen if that is what people want.

-Sfphinx
  • Most sites list links to other sites; the more you stuff in one site the bigger the problem if the site goes down, bandwidth exceedances, etc, etc...

Tribaloutpost is known and respected; do not take it down or I'll stalk you! >:(
    Planettribes was a great site; helped players for years, but the pic they put up when they were done said it all!
    Tribalwar is a great site; it's like a bar on the bad side of town... good peeps just leave them alone. Most of the mods there and at TWL would love to help.

Mabe the moderators/ admins here can add a column or tab for links to your websites and you should add them to your signature.
  • Thanks for your comments and I will update my signature shortly.

I own the server the website is on, so unless something very bad happens, I will not run out of bandwidth and the likelihood of the website going down is not very likely either but not out of the realm of possibility.

Its not going anywhere anytime soon I will assure you of that, but more traffic to the site would definitely be appreciated. :)
  • Thanks for your comments and I will update my signature shortly.

I own the server the website is on, so unless something very bad happens, I will not run out of bandwidth and the likelihood of the website going down is not very likely either but not out of the realm of possibility.

Its not going anywhere anytime soon I will assure you of that, but more traffic to the site would definitely be appreciated. :)

I'm guilty of pillaging skins and scripts; I never looked in your forums. Never realised the HUGE RESOURCE you have for mappers and skinners!