tribesnext VS tribes " 2 main servers" ? resulting in servers not showing up??

2»

Comments

• What if the victim is an admin on a popular server (or any server for that matter)? While the actions they do are not exactly hard to reverse, it can still be tedious or annoying for the people who have to do it.

This is why there are people at T2 Bouncer willing to actually take care of things like this...and why people are activated by hand. People should be glad there's an actual human being overlooking account creation and administration, not some machine that merely checks an IP
  • What if the victim is an admin on a popular server (or any server for that matter)? While the actions they do are not exactly hard to reverse, it can still be tedious or annoying for the people who have to do it.

Eolk makes a good point and so do you Beggin. These are the reasons I prefer using the admin hud and manually entering a password for admin or superadmin on a server! So even if a player's account is some how compromised, it won't affect server administration in the slightest!

This is why there are people at T2 Bouncer willing to actually take care of things like this...and why people are activated by hand. People should be glad there's an actual human being overlooking account creation and administration, not some machine that merely checks an IP
    How exactly would that stop me from downloading the script, running a large server, and harvesting username and passwords from people that authenticate via my server? I don't need to register an account and go through your approval process to run a server.

Perfect forward secrecy is an essential component in a properly designed authentication system. Until "Bouncer" achieves that, it is unsuitable for replacing authentication for this game.
  • Having a player's in-game login wont give you access to any account information or allow them to modify it.

Come January 28th, when the clientside vl2 will be required, logins wont ever be sent to the server in the first place, so all of this is largely a moot point.
    Just because it isn't sent through chat doesn't mean it isn't sent to the server. Ask your guy if you want to verify this. :)

I'm well aware of what can be done with the information sent over the server. I threw an auth system that works much the same in a server listing script as an afterthought back in 2007. I made clear that it was a temporary solution and recommended players only enter their passwords in the official servers for the same reasons that are still prevalent in the bouncer script.
    Sure, the players can reset their password, but that doesn't mean they will, or want to. The primary purpose of an authentication system is to ensure you can't be impersonated - and when you can guarantee that only in a few limited servers without changing your code every time, the players don't have much freedom to explore.

Mine worked great for a few construction servers, but the security concerns are pretty obvious, and the more servers that run something like it, the higher the risk.
  • edited January 2009
    To Thyth:
    There's nothing to stop you from downloading it, but it's unlikely that many players using T2 bouncer would end up on your server. That's one of the reasons why some servers went with it instead of TN, because they want to stay separate from some of the construct community.

To krash:
    Just because it works that way now, doesn't mean it will continue to work like that. This is directly from the developer; login info will not be sent to the server in later versions.

The reason for this was to make it as easy as possible for end users. End users don't care about 512, 768, or 1024 bit encryption. The majority of them don't even know what it is-- some even think it affects your ping while playing. T2 Bouncer right now does not require any files to be installed or patched by the player.

A user may not want to change their password, but the system can force them to change it.

We know about the TCMS, and T2 Bouncer was in fact inspired by it (it's part of the FAQ). During the first month of T2 Bouncer's launch, credentials will be sent to the server and then relayed to the authentication server for verification, but after the 28th, that will no longer happen as the clientside vl2 will be required.
  • It doesn't get any easier than it is right now. Besides the fact that sometimes it locks up when you pick 1024 bit encryption on the menu, the tribesnext login feature works as advertised. You pick your encryption, you pick your name, you pick your password, and boom your in.

Everyone that uses any other login system is just being stubborn. There's no technical reason why someone wouldn't want to use Thyth's solution.
  • edited January 2009
    Hello, I am one of those people who have been using the other server list (Elite Warriors Online), and I want to say I think it's awesome that you've made Tribes 2 available to the masses. I also agree with you that the system Rebels and EwO are running is not acceptable to invite the masses of incoming T2 players due to its requiring case-by-case registration and approval. I'm going to be playing on both systems, TribesNext along with the EwO/Rebels communities, though they have chosen to be more restrictive with good reason, so as to prevent any griefers or smurfs from ruining the game. I however believe that with enough players, server admins can take care of the job managing and trouble and their own servers, can't wait to start playing TribesNext! Thanks for making this possible.

Also, shutting down EwO's and Rebels T2 Bouncer adminstration systems would just piss off our members, just let them enjoy their community and TribesNext can be on its own. They are already pretty hostile towards some of the leaders running TribesNext, so don't expect to get too many converts. They've been playing since 2001 and are cozy with the system they've got.
  • They are already pretty hostile towards some of the leaders running TribesNext, so don't expect to get too many converts. They've been playing since 2001 and are cozy with the system they've got.
    Thank you for proving my point, yet again. I have no grievances with anyone operating or using that system. I just think it is technically inferior, and unsuitable for large scale deployment. My evaluation is on the technical merit of the implementation, not whether I agree or disagree with the people responsible.

Bouncer is practically an identical copy of Krash's authenticator. The differences differ only in the fine details of implementation. That original system was unsuitable for long term or large scale deployment. A system with an identical design doesn't magically become more suitable for long term/large scale deployment.

I don't think I really need to explain the implications if EWo, or WarLovR, or whoever are selecting a system for reasons above technical merit.
  • Today is the first day I played TribesNext, and I was excited to see multiple servers above thirty players. I just played in a couple servers for two hours, and I now believe EwO is justified in their registration system. The problems with griefing are ridiculous on the servers I entered: tkers, taunt-spammers never stopped flooding into the server, with only vote-kick as the only option (no SAs) which over 30% of the players didn't know how to use. There doesn't appear to be any accountability or effective means of enforcement.

Though I've only played for a meager two hours on TribesNext, if I want to play a hardcore match with team-strategy present, no griefing, and a tighter-knit community, I'll be playing on the more inferior implemented authentication system, but for the occasional romp when no players are to be found I'll be in TribesNext.
  • edited January 2009
    They are already pretty hostile towards some of the leaders running TribesNext...

Adults disagree and debate, sometimes the conversation become heated if you're passionate on the subject matter. Only those with inflated egos or a personality deficit would mistake that for hostility. No one on the T2 Bouncer project has any beef or hostility with tribesnext; no one wants tribes 2 to die, the tribesnext project and T2 Bouncer ensures growth. So everyone that loves tribes 2 wins! The CTF server providers thet requested T2 Bouncer wanted an additional layer of security for their servers; not to restrict growth, but to promote optimum gaming experiences for the majority of players that enjoy spending their time in those servers.

Could someone setup a server dedicated to glean accounts for the sole purpose of finding holes in this layer of security... highly probable if skilled enough and have the resources. But the most important question is why... ? Motives are the provide the clearest view of a mind at work. Personally I think everyone would benefit from the colaboration of the two projects, but that is up to the project leaders to decide and implement.

Rebels and EWO sustained T2 CTF pubbing for the last 3 yrs. You can say what you want about the server providers and admins; but the truth is, those servers held the community intact. There is no hostility from the T2 Bouncer crowd; just non-project leaders looking to create the kind of drama that is prevalent on every forum associated with Tribes.
  • Though I've only played for a meager two hours on TribesNext, if I want to play a hardcore match with team-strategy present, no griefing, and a tighter-knit community, I'll be playing on the more inferior implemented authentication system, but for the occasional romp when no players are to be found I'll be in TribesNext.
    The irony here is the stuff of legend.
    Could someone setup a server dedicated to glean accounts for the sole purpose of finding holes in this layer of security... highly probable if skilled enough and have the resources. But the most important question is why... ?
    So your stance is that it is alright for a system to have security flaws, because you don't think people would have a reason to exploit them?
    Rebels and EWO sustained T2 CTF pubbing for the last 3 yrs. You can say what you want about the server providers and admins; but the truth is, those servers held the community intact.
    Most of the people active in Tribes 2 now didn't play on Rebels or EWO, so I would say that they didn't do a damn thing to hold the community intact. The truth is, most of the players quit the game because they would rather not play Tribes 2 than play on either of those servers.
  • Though I've only played for a meager two hours on TribesNext, if I want to play a hardcore match with team-strategy present, no griefing, and a tighter-knit community, I'll be playing on the more inferior implemented authentication system, but for the occasional romp when no players are to be found I'll be in TribesNext.
    The irony here is the stuff of legend.
    Could someone setup a server dedicated to glean accounts for the sole purpose of finding holes in this layer of security... highly probable if skilled enough and have the resources. But the most important question is why... ?
    So your stance is that it is alright for a system to have security flaws, because you don't think people would have a reason to exploit them?
    Rebels and EWO sustained T2 CTF pubbing for the last 3 yrs. You can say what you want about the server providers and admins; but the truth is, those servers held the community intact.
    Most of the people active in Tribes 2 now didn't play on Rebels or EWO, so I would say that they didn't do a damn thing to hold the community intact. The truth is, most of the players quit the game because they would rather not play Tribes 2 than play on either of those servers.

Hello Kryand I was wondering when you'd reply, so let's get to it.

You replied:

No system is perfect, flawless or without compromise. Once a system is compromised the system get patched, updated... or abandoned for a nother development. The developer of T2 Bouncer stands by his project, my comment was what is the motive to screw with it? Is it to help Striker strengthen his system, or to disrupt part of the T2 Community that just wants to play in peace. Motive Kryand, I was asking about motive.

As I stated earlier, I can only hope for a colaboration of the two projects, the combined talents and knowledge could benefit everybody, but that is up to them.

You replied:

ORLY?

1. What is your description of "active"?

2. What estimate of or chronological measurement of time do you assess for a player to be viewed as "active"?

Rebels and EWO have had a pretty good player base for 3 years. Rebel dawgs has maintained a base server since Gigawa and Lady Death worked at Dynamix when the game was in development. Since I've been a leader in RD; we've kept two dedicated servers up since 2005 for anyone to play in, to borrow the servers to conduct a scrim in. So when you talk of active dedicated players or servers, I'm one of those in the know for the North American player base. I'm sure several of your pals have used RD's servers for past TWL scrims; they were always kept in shape for competiton, and I have several thread on the RD website where peeps wanted to borrow the server for COMP... ask Gunnah! ;)

Lastly there are threads; pages of threads dedicated to the hours of gaming YOU, Darkstrand, Projectile and Nevares have spent on Rebels... you don't spend that kinda time on a server you despise. You went there because that's where the action has been. Classic died and V2 had the numbers you and your pals; ahh hell, all players that wanted to be a part of a 20-20 bash were drawn to it like sharks sensing blood in the water. You may not care for the mod or the server provider, but you and your buddies spent the majority of your Tribes 2 gaming life for the last couple of years on Rebels! ;) Don't lie, it can cause shrinkage! :)
  • this
    is
    epic
  • Look, I'm on the internet. OPINION IS FACT!!!
  • I witnessed the other night in-game that there's some serious drama going on between the various communities. I'll throw in five cents.

QuackMasterDan admits he played for two hours and because of his experience in that time, he'll stick with the "more inferior implemented authentication system". I can bear witness, however, that a good portion of that two hours was spent on the Goon Haven server, which not only has Team Damage on in the first place (enabling TKs at all), but is, as noted in its description, overrun with idiots. There are some fine players there, but for the most part you could replace half the teams with bots and no one would notice, or would wonder why the teams are doing better.

I suppose I'm feeling a little confused as to what TribesNext is actually becoming. On the one hand, this is a site to host a patch that re-enables online play, by way of an authentication system that I personally think is top-notch. On the other, we're starting to build a sizable community here, and a sort of re-launching pad for new players to join the franchise. Fracturing the community further by arguing whose revival is best isn't what we need.

Tribes is a team game. Let's bring that teamwork back to the community, too.

Most of all, chill out guys. In the end this is still just a game, albeit a game so awesome it has no equal.

Spinal^, You win this thread. TN and Bouncer are both inferior... to you. If only you'd dedicate your time to managing Tribes' master server, we'd all be transported to a magic land of perfect-tribes gameplay.

Seriously. Guys, chill out.

What's important is people enjoying the game. Really, I think we all should remember what game we're playing and develop a feeling of superiority over WoW players, because we have more fun. And get more sex, while they remain unloved and alone*.

As for talk of technical superiority... Lets remember that we're playing Tribes 2. This game has never, ever had a whole lot of that going on. The "final" version was basically hacked together in a mad hope to placate the people who were told it'd be perfect and amazing before dynamix was fired.

*As Spinal^ pointed out, this is the internet. I do not harbor any ill-will (or any emotions whatsoever) to WoW players. Don't be offended by a bad joke.

Spinal^, You win this thread. TN and Bouncer are both inferior... to you. If only you'd dedicate your time to managing Tribes' master server, we'd all be transported to a magic land of perfect-tribes gameplay.

Seriously. Guys, chill out.

Wow, you totally got me …

I win because you know exactly how to interpret my post right? You’re right! Maybe if I did have the time to dedicate myself I would run those servers. But life isn’t always fair and I don’t have that dedication. I previously stated it’s great to have T2 back and I will always help where I can. Nice allegations buddy …

My sarcastic post was directed a most of the comments in this thread. Who cares about the past and who thinks which side was “better” or what worked for our “community”. It’s still a game we’re all playing; together or not.

There are many good points raised in this thread however, some choose to outright attack each other, much like your post, rather than offer a solution and believe your the ‘good guy’ in all this. Bravo!

*Golf Clap*

Now rather than continue further with your attempts of drama … thanks, but no thanks. The trip down memory lane was great btw. ;D
  • edited January 2009
    It just occurred to me that we could all be approaching this from another standpoint. The perspective of REBELS/EWO/BOUNCER is against us because they're not part of our master server solution. We should be looking at this as the first tier in a hierarchical division of Tribes 2 evolution. The masses play Tribesnext, while there are some who prefer to remain secluded form TN. Hopefully they too will build large scale communities like ours. And we will one day compete for the title of "cross authentication server solution champion"! Or something like that. This separation may just end up being divisions of the same league in the end. Where the champion of TNext plays the champion team from Bouncer. Consider it. Competition(and rivalry, which is what we have here) can be good for everyone in the end.
  • It just occurred to me that we could all be approaching this from another standpoint. The perspective of REBELS/EWO/BOUNCER

When they show up in this thread, their opinions willl be considered.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=192.msg2319#msg2319 date=1232131477]
    It just occurred to me that we could all be approaching this from another standpoint. The perspective of REBELS/EWO/BOUNCER

When they show up in this thread, their opinions willl be considered.
    [/quote]

Sorry bout that, my reply posted partially for some reason.
  • It just occurred to me that we could all be approaching this from another standpoint. The perspective of REBELS/EWO/BOUNCER is against us because they're not part of our master server solution. We should be looking at this as the first tier in a hierarchical division of Tribes 2 evolution. The masses play Tribesnext, while there are some who prefer to remain secluded form TN. Hopefully they too will build large scale communities like ours. And we will one day compete for the title of "cross authentication server solution champion"! Or something like that. This separation may just end up being divisions of the same league in the end. Where the champion of TNext plays the champion team from Bouncer. Consider it. Competition(and rivalry, which is what we have here) can be good for everyone in the end.

Tribes has always been about competition. One can consider this issue the VHS vs. Betamax or HDDVD vs. Blu-ray of Tribes 2.
  • edited January 2009
    [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=192.msg2325#msg2325 date=1232133038]
    It just occurred to me that we could all be approaching this from another standpoint. The perspective of REBELS/EWO/BOUNCER is against us because they're not part of our master server solution. We should be looking at this as the first tier in a hierarchical division of Tribes 2 evolution. The masses play Tribesnext, while there are some who prefer to remain secluded form TN. Hopefully they too will build large scale communities like ours. And we will one day compete for the title of "cross authentication server solution champion"! Or something like that. This separation may just end up being divisions of the same league in the end. Where the champion of TNext plays the champion team from Bouncer. Consider it. Competition(and rivalry, which is what we have here) can be good for everyone in the end.

Tribes has always been about competition. One can consider this issue the VHS vs. Betamax or HDDVD vs. Blu-ray of Tribes 2.
    [/quote]

There is no competition here; there is no T2 Bouncer vs Tribesnext mindset. There is no separate community, there is only tribes 2 servers and players with T2 Bouncer and those without. Several years ago their were similar situations. Those servers and players that had Fat Free Anticheat and/ or Defense Turret in enhanced mode and those that didn't.

I guess no one read that I used the tribesnext patch to play on the variety of servers; welcoming old faces back into the game. How many times I gotta say thanks Thyth, Krash Turkeh and whoever else that did this for the community. You don't read those comments, that too boring.

I only wanted to clear the air about what T2 Bouncer is, why it came to be, what it can do, and hopefully get some to stop with the divisive "us vs them" talk. Seriously... this ain't politics, religion or romance so leave the "us versus them" crap outta the convos.
    See ya in the servers, long live T2!
This discussion has been closed.