What happened last night?

I downloaded Tribes Next maybe 4 or 5 days ago and I've been playing every night, realising that Tribes 2 was such an awesome game. I had sweaty palms whilst capping, heading back to base with the flag being chased by 3 or 4 lights, whilst my teammates did their best to keep them off me. I had this great feeling of accomplishment, of teamwork when I captured that flag.. "Team Inferno.... SCORES".

Last night, I logged in hoping for some of the same. I joined the 'Goon Haven' server and off we went. Within a minute I realised something was different.

There was a pratt sat at the V-pod shocklancing anything which was created. Whilst I do admit that Shocklancing a transport can be pretty funny the first few times you do it, I don't see the fascination of doing it over and over and over.

Then, someone spawned a bomber and I hopped into the Bombadier seat. Off we flew over the enemy base, I spammed my mouse button "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" as we passed over. Smoke and destruction was the aftermath. I was then shocked to hear a "FFS NUB DROP MORE BOMBS NEXT TIME". Another pass of the enemy base and I did the same thing, spammed my mouse button. The pilot brought us down around the back of the base and radio'd "I'm on repairs", as he left the vehicle, so did the tailgunner who then decided to shocklance the Bomber and drop a Mortar inbetween me and the pilot. Great job.

About half an hour later, I was witness to comments in chat such as:

"OMG U FUCKIN NUBS LET ME SHOW U ALL HOW 2 CAP"
"U DIRTY NIGG*S" etc

I thought this was a place for the old Tribes 2 community to gather? I'd presume from the time since Tribes 2 was released, the majority of us would be at least 21 or older now?

T2 was never like this. It was a community. It was exactly the OPPOSITE of what World of Warcraft is today ie "Look what I have" and "I'm the best". There was no leetism, noobs were welcomed and while could be the centre of a joke, it was understood that everyone's a noob once.

I have this feeling that the Tribes Next community isn't actually going to be for old Tribes 2 players, but rather for "whatever's popular at the moment" sort of game for these twats who think that the internet revolves around them?

Comments

• Um, welcome to Tribes 2. Incidents like this were one of the things that made Tribes so fun. Shit talkers, spammers, and TKers kept the game unpredictable.

Maybe as an ex member of -[SPAM]- clan I can appreciate these I duno. But yea, get used to it bud ^^
  • Yep, this kind of unpredictable behavior used to be somewhat common, just smack talk em down with wit and intelligence and make em look foolish in return ;P
  • Not the Tribes 2 I used to play? Mind you, I stopped playing after about 9 months so maybe this all came after I'd quit?

What I'm saying is, T2 was released.... 2000? 2001? Something like that. 8 Years ago. I'm 22, makes me 14 at the time. I was a young member of the community too. Is there really that many sad people who are older than me yet want to flex their e-might on a keyboard and screen?
  • Not the Tribes 2 I used to play? Mind you, I stopped playing after about 9 months so maybe this all came after I'd quit?

What I'm saying is, T2 was released.... 2000? 2001? Something like that. 8 Years ago. I'm 22, makes me 14 at the time. I was a young member of the community too. Is there really that many sad people who are older than me yet want to flex their e-might on a keyboard and screen?

Indeed yes! I played at 13, am now 21. And I started around the same time you did man, and this stuff has always gone on. In fact I still remember, I was introduced to tribes, watching my friend play at his house, flying a shrike to run from a pissed team mate. And also him satcheling team mates.

It all made me laugh so much I decided to go out, get my very first PC, and play Tribes 2. So yes, Tribes has been this way as long as I can remember.

It's a GREAT game to play seriously and competitively, but you gotta admit, the spammers and childish antics make it fun sometimes.
  • I joined the 'Goon Haven' server

There's your problem.
  • edited January 2009
    Yeah last night it was pretty bad. It was REALLY hard to even remotely try to work asa team. Last people were actually filing in line for inventory and vehicles. It was nice to see some amount of curtesy in the game. But thats part of ANY MMO game. Even good old T2.

The goon server is great, dont get me wrong, but there are other servers just as good.
  • The Goon server doesn't seem to be a very quality place to play. Branzone Central has more good players, fewer idiots, and better administration. Granted, it only holds 32 and is often full, but such things are the price of being a quality server. I've only played on Goon Haven once, and that was enough for me.
  • Jaffa, I agree with Kryand (surprise)... it's not the game it's the server and the admins. I've played on Goon Haven and had a blast from time to time. But good teamwork is a joy to find; some players are still juvenile and some are just funny as hell.

Check out some of the other servers; there's plenty of experienced players looking to add some teamwork into killing the enemy! ;D
  • Next doesn't require an iq test to get authorised. If you find idiots in the server you joined, join another, or better yet, host one that you can run to your liking.
  • I tend to stick with the Goon Haven server usually because it's the most populated, but I'm hoping - nay - praying that some of the players I find there aren't representative of the rest of our player base.

For instance, yesterday we were on Stonehenge, which I recall in Tribes 1 would even stack hopelessly against one team. I had the good fortune to be on the team that would win. At a certain point, we were up 6 flag caps to the other team, each and every one of them done by one person, who before now I would admit is a damn fine capper. I declared my intent to at least make a run on the flag via VSAF, and figured even if I didn't get the flag, the enemy would have two targets to deal with in the initial confusion. This other player got there first, ran off with the flag, so I stayed behind to try and distract the defenders. They didn't take my bait and all ran off after the other player, who within about ten seconds died and dropped the flag.
    But here I am, less than 60% health, on the far end of the map near the enemy flag base. Enemy returns the flag. I decide, why not, we're in the lead, it's unlikely the enemy will rebuild an offense, so I run up, grab the flag, and start running. On my way back to base, a few heavies and meds shoot the usual splash damage spam my way, but luck sees me through with a sliver of health until I'm back by our base. And encountering no other resistance, I jet up and successfully capture the flag, which I take pride in since it's the first live-game capture I've done in Tribes 2.
    My reward? The aforementioned other player yelling in global chat "don't grab flag you stupid fuck". So because I had the audacity to change roles on the fly from distraction to flag runner, and because I had the gall to take the flag and make it all the way back to base to cap, I'm a stupid fuck because it wasn't this other player doing it.

A tl;dr rant aside, I'm hoping this isn't the kind of attitude that the inversely precipitous learning curve of Tribes has fostered among us. Yeah, we sure operate on a much different level than, say, Halo players, but we also work loosely as a team. And regardless if you've proved yourself to be the able flag runner of a team, the rest of your team is still useful.
    Maybe this is just a reflection on how immature the Goon Haven server is, especially when you load a map where a vpad is inside a hangar of sorts, and the incompetence of wannabe pilots goes from laughable to "I think I'll have to TK these people so I can get something useful done". All I know is I tend to play there because that's almost always the only server with 50+ players.

The absolute chaos that ensues on the Goon Haven server is something I really enjoy about the game. Something about everyone spamming canned chats during the loading screen makes me giggle every time, and the creative spams that can come from combining canned chats (for instance "I am - Hi!" "how high are you?" "I am - Quiet! - Hi!") is awesome. But there is somehow a line between good chaos and bad chaos.

Someone mentioned the Branzone server. Last week someone was actually telling us in the Goon Haven server to go join there. Guess I should now take up that advice.

(sorry for epic tl;dr ranting, I've got other issues and Tribes ended up being a vent)
  • I agree that there's harmless fun, certain things can be funny, even if they're childish or petty, it can still get a few grins. But then there's the irritating 'fun' which only one person seems to find funny and the rest have to deal with.

As Kamishizuka said, it's the attitude which I'm getting at. Keyboard warriors, closet racists who'll call n**gers and the likes in game, what's that all about? Mindless racists who obviously haven't left their houses in a long while.
  • I googled around (though other people might go "well, duh" at this), and found that the Goon Haven server is run by SomethingAwful forumites, which likely explains the increasingly 4chan-like immaturity building up there.
  • edited January 2009
    I also think it's the fault of the server moderators and that a new server should be picked to play (if you want to play seriously)

Also: you should drop more bombs if you simply hold down the mouse button instead of clicking it ;D
  • Um, welcome to Tribes 2. Incidents like this were one of the things that made Tribes so fun. Shit talkers, spammers, and TKers kept the game unpredictable.

Maybe as an ex member of -[SPAM]- clan I can appreciate these I duno. But yea, get used to it bud ^^

I completely disagree. Shit talkers and Spammers are fine, but TKers send me into the whirling phantasms of insanity. I hate them. They ruin the game for me every time I'm around one.
  • On a server with Team Damage enabled, I understand that there are going to be some TKs. I'm not immune from it; comes with lots of weapons with splash damage, and especially when frantically trying to defend the base from that one light that managed to get in. We tend to kill each other more than we effectively kill an intruder. Likewise, with bombing, I sometimes have the misfortune to end up bombing a few of my own people who were just trying to go for the flag. I always yell out a VVS "Sorry" when that happens, because I do not ever intentionally target my teammates. On a bombing run, if there are more red triangles than green triangles, the exploding things will fly.

Shit talking and spamming is part of the game, and if Team Damage is enabled, there will be some TKing going on. It's when one of your teammates runs up to you, chainguns you down in cold blood, and runs off, that there's a serious problem.
  • On a server with Team Damage enabled, I understand that there are going to be some TKs. I'm not immune from it; comes with lots of weapons with splash damage, and especially when frantically trying to defend the base from that one light that managed to get in. We tend to kill each other more than we effectively kill an intruder. Likewise, with bombing, I sometimes have the misfortune to end up bombing a few of my own people who were just trying to go for the flag. I always yell out a VVS "Sorry" when that happens, because I do not ever intentionally target my teammates. On a bombing run, if there are more red triangles than green triangles, the exploding things will fly.

Shit talking and spamming is part of the game, and if Team Damage is enabled, there will be some TKing going on. It's when one of your teammates runs up to you, chainguns you down in cold blood, and runs off, that there's a serious problem.

Right on man, it's those intentional TKs that boil my blood.
  • Well... I just killed a teammate a couple of times for damaging me all the time and flipping vehicles. Now I'm here... kicked out of the server :(:(
  • Well... I just killed a teammate a couple of times for damaging me all the time and flipping vehicles. Now I'm here... kicked out of the server :(:(

Next time don't kill him just vote to kick and explain why. If anyone around saw him acting like an ass, they will corroborate your story.

I voted no!

I voted no!

Very good jaffa, in that situation you were in the right.
  • TN is getting more newbs, and you can expect some retards who want nothing more than to sow mayhem.
  • "Someone mentioned the Branzone server. Last week someone was actually telling us in the Goon Haven server to go join there. Guess I should now take up that advice."

Yea that was me (disembodied head), haha. I did it because the goon server is laggy as hell and no one was playin on central.

I am also getting really sick of some of the people joining. I really don't care that they are noobs, and that they have no idea how to repair things.. but doesn't anyone play the solo missions anymore?! I'm more than willing to help though of course... I'll even one on one duel someone and try and give them some pointers. I actually enjoy doing this.

But last night someone came on with the name "niggert-fagkiller" WHAT THE HELL? That pissed me off really bad. How can you be so blatantly hate mongering and stupid?

I remember when I was joining wow! I almost got kicked out of the tribe because I was saying "your gay" and "fag". Come to find out one of the leaders, someone I had the utmost respect for, was gay. Right then and there I stopped saying it, online and in real life. I feel tribes made me more respectful, more well mannered. Which is hard to say for, well, any other game.

Respect makes the world go round, and when you have it you might just think differently about your actions.
  • You should see the S:T playerbase...or what's left. A lot of them still haven't matured. I've seen familiar names I've known since I was 11 and they act worse than kids. I'm 19 now.

My only gripe with goons is that there are some blatantly retarded teammates that just have the sudden urge to follow me around the base and shoot me and think they are so snarky by badmouthing people that politely ask them to stop.
    Excuse me while I turn around and shoot a mortar. I'm going to deck you in the god damn face repeatedly if you don't stop being a dumbass.
  • I find a far better game in a server that has 32 players or less than more than 32. There is a point in player count where gamestate isn't as smooth anymore.
  • Has it really been so long that you all forget how shoddy pubs were back in the day? Servers 32+ were always this bad. I really see no difference in the TKing and vpad lancing of today and the griefing of yesteryear.

I had some good matches in Goon Haven last week, but apparently I got here before the flood of jerks. By thursday, I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes in game. I just wanted to go on a bombing run, but my bomber kept bombing before we were even off the vpad. :/
  • It is unfortunate in this day in age we still have problems like this but they did in the past and with every game today you will run into this.Being a one time admin I had to deal with this everyday and sometimes it can be a pain in the butt to havta deal with.We had a set rule set on are server you followed the rules if you didnt you were warned if you kept it up you were kicked and if all else failed you got banned.But without a rule set and admins enforcing these rules what can you do lol. Nothing bothers me to much anymore I have seen it all.I can understand admins wanting just to play the game and not wanting to deal with all the problems although that is there job in some aspects.Who wants to sit through half a map dealing with asshats who get a pleasure out of driving people crazy I sure dont.Best advice if this happens to you find another server or just take a small break come back find out what team the annoying guy is one and join the other and try and kick the crap out of him you will feel much better in the long run.
  • Jaffa, you're a good bro' - even though you suck at duelling. And there's my point: You're all wrong! ^_^
    Tribes 2 was probably the most elitist and snobbish game of them all and because of the high learning curve, it drove out new players pretty soon after its release. I witnessed that all myself and yeah, was probably contributing to that development.
    It was just last Friday night when I was playing with STAVRO and Satan Man on the Tribesnext server that it occured to me how cruel the game is to newbies or people who simply forgot about the gameplay.
    You've got a point there with the age, but the anonymity of the internet, especially with the opportunity of creating as many Tribesnext accounts and aliases as you want, encourages many players not only to play but also to think and speak like in the old times.
  • Jaffa, you're a good bro' - even though you suck at duelling. And there's my point: You're all wrong! ^_^
    Tribes 2 was probably the most elitist and snobbish game of them all and because of the high learning curve, it drove out new players pretty soon after its release. I witnessed that all myself and yeah, was probably contributing to that development.
    It was just last Friday night when I was playing with STAVRO and Satan Man on the Tribesnext server that it occured to me how cruel the game is to newbies or people who simply forgot about the gameplay.
    You've got a point there with the age, but the anonymity of the internet, especially with the opportunity of creating as many Tribesnext accounts and aliases as you want, encourages many players not only to play but also to think and speak like in the old times.

I agree with you about tribes2 players being snobs to the new bloods. It seems to me that many of the experienced players in the pub servers who think they own, treat a pub game as if it were a pickup/comp. If you see someone less experienced than you trying to have a good time playing tribes2 and honestly making an effort and not being a little retard, leave your "i'm better than you" attitude out of it and help the guy out. Just remember, the noobs are the ones in it for themselves. In Tribes, it's about the team.
  • This was something I went over in my head a few nights ago, after writing my rant earlier in this thread...

Tribes has probably the steepest learning curve of any FPS to date, and it goes without saying that we operate on a much different level than, say, Halo players. For our mastery (or our attempts at it) of the game mechanics, we do deserve some level of pride. That right ends when it stops someone new from learning. We all started as newbloods at one time.

Tribes is an elitist culture; I learned that fast. My method so far has been to carve out my niche of usefulness, and when that niche isn't available, I default to causing general chaos for the enemy. There was one night where I had been tailgunner for a fairly successful bombing run, but we crashed as the pilot was trying to aid me in throwing off a missile. Heavies are slow, especially on the large elevation changes of Archipelago. By the time I made it back to the vpad from the invo station, my bombardier and pilot were already set, and someone was jumping into the tailgunner position. The bomber and pilot immediately told him to "get out, shizu is our TG". You find something that works and you just might find yourself making good connections with the team.

On the flipside, there was another night where one player (on my team, thankfully) was dominating the enemy, racking up kills left and right, though I can't remember if he was going for the flag while over there. The rest of us were having troubles either a) getting past enemy defenses, or b) with the idiots on our team. The master player, at one point during the game, asked over team chat whether any of the rest of us were going to break 100 points.

Tribes is about the team, as Abstract put it, and I couldn't agree more. If someone's clearly being an idiot without remorse, I'm not going to refrain shoving a disc up his ass. If someone asks a very basic question in global chat, I direct them to the Training missions first (though I've yet to see someone take the advice). Sadly, other than those, I haven't run across someone legitimately trying to get a feel for the game. Maybe they're just hesitant to ask for more advanced help, like where's the best place to put a turret so it can kill everything but has a low risk of being destroyed. I was for a very long time too, what with all the canned spam in the chats.

Maybe we should schedule a "pickup" game for newbloods. A mass "come here to learn" night or something.
  • I saw one guy that spams LOL OMG HACKER NOOB everytime popped his head with laser rifle. :o