Death of Tribes ?

I'm sorry to see it, but there is no getting around it that both Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 are barely holding on. There are fewer and fewer players playing as time goes by and very few new players are coming into replace them. Tribes 2 (tribesnext) has not been been updated since the beginning of 2009. It is 2011 and we have not seen another release of improvements or fixes, has the updates stopped for the game? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• That's a pretty pessimistic outlook, which is not strictly supported by the player counts on the populated servers. There are enough players for pubbing on Goon Haven at just about any hour imaginable, and the quality of the games are still good.

There is still activity on the development side, but developer time and resources are limited. If you want more updates with improvements/fixes, we welcome participation of qualified and capable individuals.

Be realistic.
  • Basic Information
    Stats Time 4,368 hr. 45 min. 23 sec.
    Active Admins 11
    Active Maps 100
    Active Players 2,227

Daily Activity
    Event Per Day
    Admin Actions 6.14
    Deaths 22,214.69
    Flag Actions 7,054.17
    Missions 79.64
    Switch Captures 180.74
    http://t2stats.m-parsons.com/server.php

"It's dead Jim"

:rolleyes:
  • DDC
    edited January 2011
    teratos, how many of those players are smurfs or bots?

If there were 2227 active players, then surely we'd be seeing more than one full 64 player server at any given time. And your link just told me there are now 2221 active players, whereas another part of your website is tracking the statistics of 8383 players. Kindly explain.
  • teratos' system has a way of approximately tracking the number of unique players, so if I'm not mistaken, the ~2220 represents active, unique players (no bots or smurfs here), while the 8383 is the total number of active accounts in the system. Also, that information is for only one server, Goon Haven: the total number of active T2 players is probably higher. This may not be the healthiest game on the planet, but it's far from dead.
  • Most, if not all, current T2 players have played on GoonHaven atleast once (enough to get counted by the system). However, hardly any of those players ever actually play.

I've only seen one full server, so someone needs to go wake up the other 2000 players.
  • teratos, how many of those players are smurfs or bots?

If there were 2227 active players, then surely we'd be seeing more than one full 64 player server at any given time. And your link just told me there are now 2221 active players, whereas another part of your website is tracking the statistics of 8383 players. Kindly explain.
    All of them.

Try not to be such an angry douchenozzle and maybe I'll care enough to explain.
  • That was me being polite actually. ;)
  • 1 of the reasons I haven't played in months is TF2. An equally fun team based FPS, with tons of people playing and voice chat. Tribes is fun, but nobody uses Vent or TS severs. It gets boring talking to yourself.
  • edited January 2011
    Personally, I've never been much of a talker, and all the chat tends to grind on my nerves after a while so I hardly ever jump on TS.
  • Maybe it isn't dead, but I rather can't see any possibility of bringing newbs to this game. I'm not a vet, but after spending some time and gaining some skill I've lost hope of attracting new players. It's just too hard I'd say. Tribes became hermetic again (was it ever 'open'?), and that's fine from some point of view.
  • All version of tribes have had learning curves, wich is precisely what consoles avoid, hence their supremacy in numbers of players.
  • 1 of the reasons I haven't played in months is TF2. An equally fun team based FPS, with tons of people playing and voice chat. Tribes is fun, but nobody uses Vent or TS severs. It gets boring talking to yourself.
    That is simply not true.

You ought to jump on Tribes 2 irc something at irc.tribalwar.com

Plenty of people use teamspeak when they play, even in Goonhaven. Check my Siege Pick Up threads, there is a teamspeak IP address in there which usually has people on it.
  • IRC is not the same as voice chat.

I have seen a dedicated TS server, and every time I joined it they were doing something else (like ladder matches) and said not to speak, so I gave up. Goon's has a dedicated Vent which I've only ever seen 1 other person use.
  • the ts and vent crap ive been in was just some place for idiots to spam the channel

perhaps a private one would be better
  • Tribes 2 will never die. End of story.
  • I host a Mumble voice server for T2 players. (among other games) It is available for use if anyone is interested. Currently 35 players but i don't mind bumping it up to 64+

I've been using this to aid me in bringing new players to the game. Tons of them enjoy the game it's just that the population is rather stagnant.

They also are a little put off by the fact that Goon Haven is essentially the only populated server most of the time. They need a place to play with a mix of player skill levels so they aren't put off. I know it's tough but sandbagging every now and then against new players is very beneficial.

Everyone needs to do their part to attract new players and populate multiple servers. Post on communities, tell your friends to tell their friends, etc. A stream of new players is vital to keeping the game alive.

Explain the reasons to try the game. (ie. It's free, small dl, low sys reqs) and after this explain to them what makes the game so much fun.
  • There's been so many players lately, on multiple servers, that I was wondering if there are any shares of DJIA stock that you're sure are "barely holding on" and soon to fail?
  • There's been so many players lately, on multiple servers, that I was wondering if there are any shares of DJIA stock that you're sure are "barely holding on" and soon to fail?
    :-X

I don't get it.