Account creation problem

edited February 2011 in Support
I recently discovered tribesnext. I was thrilled because T2 was one of my favorite games ever. I was really good at it years ago, perhaps one of the best. So i have been trying for a couple days to get an account set up. I DL'd the game, the patch and I cannot get past the log in screen. The server is never available. Can someone please help me. I'm getting frustrated. Also please don't give me a link to some other post as I have been through this forum up and down I still haven't found an answer.

Ok this is really getting frustrating for me. I keep getting the same msg. server OFFLINE or unavailable. I have checked a bunch of other posts and checked the link to the server status which says its online but still I cannot create an account. I have re-installed the DL several times. I have re-installed the patch a few times. Is there some middle step I am missing?

Ok after several attempts and even using the test account "online jerk' pw t2=drama, im still having trouble logging on. told me to check username and PW. Ive done everything I can think of. I have no firewall or anything running. I re-installed the game and patch several times. I read dozens of posts pertaining to this issue. Can I get you to set up the username and PW for me please. I really want to play and I dont know what else to do.

Mod Edit: Merged 3 topics.

Comments

• I've merged the three topics that you created over a span of less than two hours into one post. First, I direct you to the topic you should have read first:
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=234.0 where it spells out that you should expect a lag time before you get a reply. This is a forum, not a chat room. If you desire the chat-room experience, connect to the IRC channel at the address indicated at the bottom of each page.

From what I understand, you followed this process:
    1) Installed Tribes 2.
    2) Installed the TribesNext multiplayer patch.
    3) Attempted to create an account in game but were given an offline/unreachable status on the account server.
    4) Attempted to log in with a testing account.

This means that you have a firewall blocking network connectivity to the account/authentication server.

Please read the following two FAQ entries:
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=464.0
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=469.0

The second is related to networking problems not necessarily confined to list server.
  • First off let me start by saying excuse me for the spammage. I have done everything that you stated.....

From what I understand, you followed this process:
    1) Installed Tribes 2.
    2) Installed the TribesNext multiplayer patch.
    3) Attempted to create an account in game but were given an offline/unreachable status on the account server.
    4) Attempted to log in with a testing account.

This means that you have a firewall blocking network connectivity to the account/authentication server.

Firewall is completely turned off.

After having you set up my account for me I did as you said and put the store files in my base folder. Still when i go to log in it says it is not stored locally. I try to retrieve from server and it comes back check username and PW. I deleted all dso files from base folder and I don't know what else to do.
  • oops sorry 13, they go into your gamedata folder!

sorry!

must admit id had a few libations last night and was not 100% when i made your account and sent you the instructions
  • YES!!!! I am up and running. Can't wait to play again. The 13am!! is back
  • is it all possible for someone to do the same for me? [email protected]
  • pm me your desired user name and pw, plus your email to send to
  • can you help me make an account as well? i can't connect to the server even though i've done everything in the instructions (ie. firewall off)
  • i'll pm u my information
  • need 3 posts to pm, sorry ::)
  • I am also needing an account set up, will PM
    (3 posts first)
  • see your pm box
  • I need help as well.... it says account information is not stored locally. :'(
  • Can you set up an account for me as well please? =]

[email protected]
  • do one for me too i guess.... [email protected]
  • Thyth, it's about time you made this game easier for folks with this problem to get resolution. Anyone needing a account, pm me your email addy, and a first and second choice in user names.
  • The vast majority of users don't have any issues communicating with the TribesNext network systems. Every case of this issue that I've resolved personally has been as a result of third party firewalls running on the same computer, or one of the other issues covered in the FAQ.

Try as I might, I can't control the third party security software that people have installed on their computers, and I can't control the quality of said security software. A lot of consumer grade software firewalls (and antivirus programs that also try to be firewalls) are really bottom of the barrel as far as software quality, and create issues for fully standards compliant protocols that we use in the system. What makes these problems even more egregious is that the uninstallation routines for some of these security programs leave pieces that continue to interfere with normal network communication after software removal.

I will be including a network communications self-test UI in game in the next patch version to assist with enumerating the exact communications issues encountered by the game, but, ultimately, in 99.9% of the cases, the cause and root of the problem is the same: mediocre host software firewalls.
  • Thanks Thyth.