New installation package

2»

Comments

• There is a reason t2 installs with max players/bots (and after you've played t2 for a couple of months I think you'll appreciate why no one, bar nubs, wants bot missions)

I think putting an in all one installer system together has obvious merit. I understand why the tribesnext guys can't (legally) have anything to do with that, however if you can't link to it from here and you're gonna distribute it through a warez site then what would stop you from actually making something useful.

Also you may want to package the tribes first aid package (an installation file checker) or something like it.

If you're feeling especially talented, try getting defense turret working with tribes next too :D
  • edited December 2009
    Actually, no I'm not feeling talented. I haven't really done any work on it since my last post.
    And yeah, I do realize that many people hate bots, but adding more bots is something that will make noobs happy while not taking away from the fun that others have, as they can simply turn them off. That is part of the purpose behind this - noobs.

I'm going to have more time to work on it now that my first semester at college is over. I just got my Network+ certification, and I'm really psyched about it.

I just might integrate a simple file check into ACD. (and rename it to Fix Tribes)
    Defense turret? I look into it. (but don't hold your breath)

Also, I beleive Thyth said not to link to any installer that contains Tribes next or any reference to it. My installer does not do that.

Edit: Tribes first aid will not work for our purposes, an appears to me to no longer be a useful utility.
  • As he stated above due to legal obligations, and possibility or tainted or non original and clean files, you aren't aloud to distribute through this site, however you can still use for personal use.
  • Tainted files? >:( This distrustful stuff is getting on my nerves.
    As I SAID BEFORE, I will just have to prove it is safe.

When I get ready to distribute it, I will distribute it via a torrent. I don't beleive there is anything illegal about my installer.
    In fact, I think that for a while, there were some torrent files for some modified installers on this site. Once again, my installer contains no mention of tribes next, nor the patch itself.

Either way, I haven't published anything yet so just chill.
  • Thyth is pretty adamant on giving out the Tribes 2 installer only in its original format as it appeared on FilePlanet. You will not be distributing your own version of the installer through this site.
    File Planet file is already corrupt...
  • Corrupt? It wasn't the last time I checked. But it does run slow as christmas in Win7 x64.
    I really haven't done anything in months.
    Maybe I'll start checking to make sure everything works ok then I'll share it with a few select people to see what they think.

Oh almost forgot. ACD is a mess and needs a whole new rewrite. I'll recode it in VBScript.
  • edited February 2010
    Corrupt? It wasn't the last time I checked. But it does run slow as christmas in Win7 x64.
    I really haven't done anything in months.
    Maybe I'll start checking to make sure everything works ok then I'll share it with a few select people to see what they think.

Oh almost forgot. ACD is a mess and needs a whole new rewrite. I'll recode it in VBScript.
    Well your wrong, I downloaded, installed from that and it was an Invalid Win32 app.
    Which never happened when I downloaded from the pure The-Consturct on the transfer location. I suggest also removing your mods before making the MSI file. But nothing offensive, I'd just stay away from fileplanet's Installer. Use the one on: http://xfer1.the-construct.net/tribes2/tribes2gsi.exe . We all know this one dosen't have backdoors...
    but you cannot link this back in YOUR installer, again, do to legal actions Dynamix MAY have on it.
  • Take that back, I might get Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition running and make an .msi file with the patch removed, and the mods removed.
  • A new Idea would be put some CLIENT SIDE maps in there, but you may need to verify with the map creators before doing so. I think you should let Thyth approve of this before moving on. And ask some people arround if you can include their mods into the installer. Also suggested: Go ahead and put Flatland into it before you ask Thyth, if it is a no, don't do it, if it is a yes, you will have to ask the author of Flatland if He'll let you, assuming he still plays. Otherwise, the guy probably wouldn't care.
  • In response to your PM, No, I never uploaded it. I messed with the map files so much and ended up mixing maps from different packs together. I also wasn't happy with where I got with the bot support so I gave up.

I think if this is to actually happen, then serveral of us will need to collaborate.
    I have some ideas:

The maps should be modularized so individual map packs can be chosen at installation time.

Robertom2002's maps with bot support look like they would be nice to have included. There should be the usual map packs with basic AI support, and then there should be the enhanced ones with AI vehicle support as an add-on option at installation.

All original READMEs and credits should be included. Tribes NEXT should neither be included nor mentioned.

In order to do this:
    1: Someone (or people) needs to come up with map files neatly organized into packs to suit the above mentioned function. Maybe Robertom2002 would like to help.
    2: Maybe there should be a project site. I wouldn't mind setting up an FTP, but it will be slow.(256k down, 1.5Mb up)
    3: Come up with a way to add native .vl2 support in Windows. The installer should automatically do this (I will create and post a .reg file shortly).
    4: Figure out what program to make the installer with. Suggestions, please.
    5: Make the installer.

I am a little wary of the legality of this. It isn't GPL, but we aren't modifying the game engine or anything like that, just the stuff that is user editable and ok to share anyways (maps, AI). It's pretty much just a re-packaging, not really what I would call reverse-engineering or hacking, but that doesn't mean whoever owns the IP now wouldn't get ticked. Perhaps we should seek permission, (which is unlikely, especially now that they are making a new Tribes).
  • Here is a .reg file that will quickly add .vl2 support to Windows. It will need to have the extension changed from .txt to .reg first, though.

It seems to require a reboot before Windows realizes what to do.
    vl2.txt 1004B
  • Hi
    Would it be a lot of trouble to be able to package the code wanted as opposed to that wich is unwanted? Such as what if I want to dl everythying but the skins?
  • I think he meant for the final installer. I had the idea of a single .msi file in mind. I want it to be modular, but the more complex the installer, the more likely it will require expensive software to create.

I initially used a program called "Advanced Installer". It's pro version is pretty expensive, and it's free version is feature-limited. I cannot recall all the details right now as it has been well over a year since I last used it.

Here's an idea: Maybe we could just make a script that will pull files off an FTP server? Seems like a good idea to me. Then it really wouldn't download anything you don't want.
  • Well, I meant that if I don't want to dl 4g of skins just to get the stuff I do want, that would be nice.
  • edited July 2011
    I think he meant for the final installer. I had the idea of a single .msi file in mind. I want it to be modular, but the more complex the installer, the more likely it will require expensive software to create.

I initially used a program called "Advanced Installer". It's pro version is pretty expensive, and it's free version is feature-limited. I cannot recall all the details right now as it has been well over a year since I last used it.

Here's an idea: Maybe we could just make a script that will pull files off an FTP server? Seems like a good idea to me. Then it really wouldn't download anything you don't want.
    Quite good with NSIS, I might find something that I can do.

I'm not sure if NSISdl plugin would work though, but I'll search.

EDIT: I can do it in NSIS, my one problem is I don't know where to download skins.
    Well, I meant that if I don't want to dl 4g of skins just to get the stuff I do want, that would be nice.
    Yes,

I don't even bother with skins.
  • I do have a install package (for a CD) I made, but it includes vanilla software and no extra plugins. (but you can always add them)

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php/topic,1383.0.html