A Thread for Newbie Players to praise Variant mod

I heard there was demand to introduce people to Tribes 2, so I'll give it my best shot.

Goon Haven sucks and it's the only server. The Sewer sucks and you shouldn't play there. Servers with TR2 in the title are awesome but you'll never be able to figure out what the hell is going on without years of experience. Basically, you're pretty much ****ed. What you see on Goon Haven is the best you'll get. But don't worry. If you take some time to learn the basics, you'll fit right in. It helps to either be a giant douche who likes to spam, be incredibly desensitized to spam, or install a good script to mute people.

Anyway, that's it for basic training. Use this thread to ask questions.

Comments

• What matters more, having fun or having the most kills?
    Tribs 2

First, try to get the hang of things, knowing what to do and where to be best at any one time. At the very least, try to survive. At the very most, firstly try to sacrifice yourself for the sake of your base, secondly for your flag, and thirdly for your team.

Second, try to get the most kills. Then, when you realize you can't against pros, or you've done so and see little point/fun, or you just get bored, try to have any fun you can. Do the most chaotic and ridiculous stuff you like. Enjoy... it IS supposed to be fun... that what games are supposed to be after all.

Note: The biggest problem I see is that Goon has team damage on. The unique team damage system in T2 is what makes it great, .... that is, when team damage is off. Because most weapons are ballistic or slow-moving or very inaccurate, and everyone is usually moving at very high speed and more trained than you at using these types of weapons, you're VERY likely to team-damage or team-kill a ton. Pros do so plenty, just because of the way the game is, and because people spawn or just get in the way of splash-damage weapons. Just make sure ta always say lots of "sorry!", or just one team-kill will get you kicked, maybe even banned... really, you can only hope that "sorry!" will save you.

For the pros, and Goon, I'd like to ask why team damage on? Realism? If you want realism, join the army, because all games are fantasy. Team damage on in T2 doesn't force anyone to try to be more precise and accurate, it just annoys the ones shooting because they have to hold back on chaos, destruction and damage by using the weapons with less widespread and effective damage, even if the base is being ripped to tiny shreds by 10 juggernauts, and you could easily kill them all, if the 1 or 2 scouts would get out of the way or stop spawning there.

And for the ones being shot at, well obviously it seriously pisses them off, enough to kick you even if you were only trying to save your base/flag/others, and that one person just accidentally got in the way. They usually yell that "you did it on purpose, don't try lying, ban this mofo!", even if it was your first and only team-kill.

I thought games were supposed to be fun, regardless of realism. In fact, the less realistic the game, the more fun, as long as it's relatively balanced (meaning, everything can be compensated for, as long as you choose the right weapons/tools/packs/loadouts). I find nothing fun with all that team damage on, ...quite opposite... It's almost a wonder of the world that the game hasn't failed completely because all of the senseless hate it's built up just because of team damage. The only reasons I can really think of why, is that they can't afford anything better (hardware and software), and the game is pretty unique.
  • Goons could use a lower player max. Set to like 32 or so, make 2 32 player servers out of it. The spam, however, will always be there. This mostly has to do with the speed that heavies can ski at, their lack of mass proportionate to their armor class, and the fact they can reload very quickly. If they had more mass, moved more slowly as to make a real diff in the class, and had an increased reload time between shots, and perhaps a range or fuse timer for rounds like the mortar, there would be far less spam and a much more elegant game. The meds and heavies move to quickly and have to low of mass to make the diff between them and lights worthwhile. Just my opinion!
  • Team Damage is on because if you turn it off the game degenerates into four people mortar spamming their flag/each other on both ends of the map.

People just fire like crazy and the skill involved drops considerably. In the end it becomes no fun.
  • Team Damage is on because if you turn it off the game degenerates into four people mortar spamming their flag/each other on both ends of the map.

People just fire like crazy and the skill involved drops considerably. In the end it becomes no fun.

But the idea is, you can compensate for that (bombers, mortar juggs mortaring them, shocklancers, snipers especially since you have to stay relatively still to time a good capper kill with a mortar, killing gens, etc.). They still do that even with team damage on, myself included although usually with a tank.

Skill? What skill? Raping a base non-stop is a skill? Having your base raped endlessly is a skill? Having a flag capper just float through your base untouched is a skill? Being able to do nothing about all of it is a skill?

People still fire like crazy, with or without skill.

Please do tell, how you have uninterrupted, non-defunct, fun on Goon's. I've only recently started using flag satchels again, but it's risky unless you're the only one guarding the flag as a jugg. And to tell the truth, that ain't that much fun... just desperate sacrifice.

There should be rules and limitations in a game, but this is far too many limitations, especially for the type of game T2 is.

@Blakhart Actually, I think they all need to be heavier, particularly the lighter ones... or at least have more ground friction or something of that type.
  • Goons could use a lower player max. Set to like 32 or so, make 2 32 player servers out of it.
    If you make Goon Haven a 32 player server, everyone jumps on a different server that decided to be 64 players. Probably one without an admin presence and runs version2. Tribes 2 is basically the reverse Field of Dreams.
  • JudgeHershey, pretty much everything you have said in this thread is wrong. Your views of Tribes 2 are so ridiculous that I have trouble believing that you aren't just trolling right now. But just in case, let's go over a few:
    Because most weapons are ballistic or slow-moving or very inaccurate, and everyone is usually moving at very high speed and more trained than you at using these types of weapons, you're VERY likely to team-damage or team-kill a ton. Pros do so plenty, just because of the way the game is, and because people spawn or just get in the way of splash-damage weapons.
    No, pros actually TK very very rarely.
    For the pros, and Goon, I'd like to ask why team damage on? Realism?
    Balance.
    Team damage on in T2 doesn't force anyone to try to be more precise and accurate, it just annoys the ones shooting because they have to hold back on chaos, destruction and damage by using the weapons with less widespread and effective damage, even if the base is being ripped to tiny shreds by 10 juggernauts, and you could easily kill them all, if the 1 or 2 scouts would get out of the way or stop spawning there.
    This is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read. I don't even know where to begin in explaining how misguided every single statement here is. If you really look at Tribes 2 this way, I suggest you go play Halo. It's a little more your style of game.
    And for the ones being shot at, well obviously it seriously pisses them off, enough to kick you even if you were only trying to save your base/flag/others, and that one person just accidentally got in the way. They usually yell that "you did it on purpose, don't try lying, ban this mofo!", even if it was your first and only team-kill.
    You are making this up. I've never once seen anyone freak out over a random accidental TK.
    I find nothing fun with all that team damage on, ...quite opposite... It's almost a wonder of the world that the game hasn't failed completely because all of the senseless hate it's built up just because of team damage. The only reasons I can really think of why, is that they can't afford anything better (hardware and software), and the game is pretty unique.
    There used to be multiple servers with no team damage. They all died because no one agrees with you. Your assumption that everyone would have more fun with team damage off, just because you think so, is wrong.
    But the idea is, you can compensate for that (bombers, mortar juggs mortaring them, shocklancers, snipers especially since you have to stay relatively still to time a good capper kill with a mortar, killing gens, etc.)
    Your idea has been tested over the course of the last 10 years, and has proven to be a bad one.
    They still do that even with team damage on, myself included although usually with a tank.
    Maybe you should learn how to defend with some sort of skill, rather than just spamming and hoping for the best. People doing this should be kicked from the server.
    Skill? What skill? Raping a base non-stop is a skill? Having your base raped endlessly is a skill? Having a flag capper just float through your base untouched is a skill? Being able to do nothing about all of it is a skill?
    Yes, raping is a skill. Stopping the rape is a skill. Stopping the capper is a skill. And... wait a minute, "being able to do nothing about it"? I thought "the base is being ripped to tiny shreds by 10 juggernauts, and you could easily kill them all"? Sounds like someone was lying.
    People still fire like crazy, with or without skill.
    No, newbs fire like crazy, with or without skill. With team damage on, however, they have some motivation to stop doing that and actually learn how to play the game.
    Please do tell, how you have uninterrupted, non-defunct, fun on Goon's. I've only recently started using flag satchels again, but it's risky unless you're the only one guarding the flag as a jugg. And to tell the truth, that ain't that much fun... just desperate sacrifice.
    We have fun because we actually know how to play Tribes 2. Maybe you should follow suit and learn how to play.
    There should be rules and limitations in a game, but this is far too many limitations, especially for the type of game T2 is.
    You are confusing Tribes 2 with Halo again. You should really go play it. I'm sure you'll love it, because it's designed specifically for gamers like you.
  • I was just kidding. I've played for years. I wasn't asking a serious question.
  • This thread is Tribes 2
  • This thread is Tribes 2
    +1 internets for this impossible knowledge
  • No, pros actually TK very very rarely.

Would you like me to document it. I don't know if recording still works through Wine on Linux, but I'll try.
    Balance.

Do explain, because thinning out your own team's numbers doesn't seem like balance to me. T2 team damage is unique in that with it off, you can blow yourself to bits, leave your teammates undamaged, and still do partial damage to assets, which discourages you from causing too much damage in the area. That's balance.
    This is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read. I don't even know where to begin in explaining how misguided every single statement here is. If you really look at Tribes 2 this way, I suggest you go play Halo. It's a little more your style of game.

I've tried it a bit. Not bad, but not the same, jet packs and all. My ideas stem from the original Tribes 2, not this sick twisted thing that's resulted now. Back then, skill was being able to snipe well and escape, distract the enemy to get the flag, mine-disking wasn't even a concept, dropping a mortar directly on someone's head from far off just by estimation... no beacons... no lasers, escaping with the flag was actually a true challenge because of reasonably limited jets, etc.
    You are making this up. I've never once seen anyone freak out over a random accidental TK.

I suppose you wouldn't believe me if I said it's happened to me and others on multiple occasions. You should look on the forum complaints around too, often saying they get kicked for NO reason... not always believable, but it happens plenty. Even in the times of the original Tribes 2, people tended to vote yes by default for kicks. Now-a-days, it is less frequent, but still happens.
    There used to be multiple servers with no team damage. They all died because no one agrees with you. Your assumption that everyone would have more fun with team damage off, just because you think so, is wrong.

They all died because the regular gameplay got boring when most of the great mods disappeared after the last major Dynamics patch. The only people left were those who never really played a true mod (Classic, and similar are just re-balances, not true mods) because they thought it was "cheating" or "stupid". They couldn't even play mods when/if they tried... Conservatives so to speak. The only way they could think of livening up the game was to allow team damage. In the original Tribes 2, those servers with team damage off flourished. I am more what you might call a Liberal when it comes to games. Oh I do like cheating if I can, but only to have fun, not to kill or destroy... that's just lame and stupid.

Do support your statements on how it's more fun with team damage on, because all you've been doing is only negating my statements.
    Your idea has been tested over the course of the last 10 years, and has proven to be a bad one.

It worked in the beginning of Tribes 2, and still works. Tribes 2 is still around isn't it... that means something worked. Only in the later half has the game really declined because of the change against those original ideas that support, disruptions and distractions actually worked to get the flag, with team damage off.

Maybe you should learn how to defend with some sort of skill, rather than just spamming and hoping for the best. People doing this should be kicked from the server.

Oh tell me, oh wise-one. (Continued after next quote...)
    Yes, raping is a skill. Stopping the rape is a skill. Stopping the capper is a skill. And... wait a minute, "being able to do nothing about it"? I thought "the base is being ripped to tiny shreds by 10 juggernauts, and you could easily kill them all"? Sounds like someone was lying.

It takes still to spam mortars in a base (I though you were against skill-less spam...), running around at high speed? How do you stop a rampage of mortar-spamming juggs in their tracks with a scout, few helping or doing anything useful, no gens, no inventory, being spawn-killed constantly, everyone not using up their repair kits immediately and thus feeding the hungry monster, etc.

There used to be something called "fair games", where it didn't matter if you won or lost as long as it was fun and everyone really fought and tried, where the entire team gave it their all to defend their base effectively and defend the flag, where people actually worked together and helped each other(especially to defend), where it took lots of effort to break a whole through defenses/distract the enemy and have someone take the flag (not just steal it at random, regardless of base defense level, or siege level, and zoom away far faster than anything can catch you). There used to be things called "honor", "loyalty", and "courage" in fights.

Now it's just a brutal, senseless beating between rabid dogs.
    No, newbs fire like crazy, with or without skill. With team damage on, however, they have some motivation to stop doing that and actually learn how to play the game.

Then I have yet to see pros, and what motivation do you think they have when they're being massacred senselessly? They have no choice but to resort to brute force and massive destruction just to try to survive more than a few seconds. What does it matter when almost no one is trying to repair the stuff anyway, or no one is left to repair... or sometimes, no one even helps out... just runs toward the enemy base while home base is being trashed?
    We have fun because we actually know how to play Tribes 2. Maybe you should follow suit and learn how to play.

Oh do tell! I've only heard the best things being said about Goon's in the forums, so you absolutely MUST be right! How should I play? Just a general idea for each class is enough, weapons and such. So far, it's been what annoys and harasses the other team the most, not what actually helps the flag carrier or team.
    You are confusing Tribes 2 with Halo again. You should really go play it. I'm sure you'll love it, because it's designed specifically for gamers like you.

Again, I'm more liberal. What do you find fun in the game again?
  • edited May 2011
    My ideas stem from the original Tribes 2, not this sick twisted thing that's resulted now.
    The original Tribes 2 was an abomination. The fact that anybody even tried to play CTF on it is the most common horror story that us 2011 players tell to new players. It is a disgrace to the Tribes name and the memories of Dynamix that still there are people who can't see that, 10 years later. You are the reason the future of gaming died back in 2001.

Where the fuck do you get off posting this garbage about a game that has finally risen above its shoddy design to barely achieve a fraction of the greatness it once deserved?
  • judgehershey-

tking your team doesnt thin their numbers, they just respawn. blaster is actually good vs sheild heavies, which they spawn with. normally if i tk someone it was because we tried to kill a threat quickly instead of letting the closest team member only deal with the threat under fear of being tked.

shooting mortars with beacons and lasers targeting things is silly. most people who have played longer than a couple years can shoot just fine eyeballing the target because they learned the mortar trajectory.

mine disking was invented in tribes 1. its easy to learn if you practice. just bind a key to max throw mine in your settings, hey theres even max throw grenade too.

classic is a mod, and more popular today than base within the existing demographic of active pubbers. this is because competition moved away from base and base++ and v2, and the competitive players keep up servers. while goonhaven isn't strictly a place to get better skills at the game, i know for a fact that the admins have taken some advice from knowledgeable competition players on topics ranging from admin mods to mapping to scripting, among other things. many of the common players in goonhaven are comp players.

there are multiple different ways to stop enemy juggernaughts while in light armor. usually though its better to go medium or jugg to kill them once they get in your base. use a shield pack, place mines around the basement, doorways, corners, use concussion grenades in certain bases, deny them entry with spam or bodyblocking, or even satchel. if you watch your cchud you can tell where enemies are coming from, unless they are cloak or sensor jammer packing.

fighting or dueling isnt so much rabid dogs fighting each other as it is players with some degree of practice and knowledge of the game constantly attacking an objective until they are successful in destroying it. back in the days of base players moved slowly and so did many of the weapons like mortar and grenade launcher, there was no mine disc, max throw wasn't a standard keybind for nades/mines, chaingun spread was wider, discs shot off center at far away targets, and player skill was at beginner. not to mention players now can easily get on vent or ts and pub as a group.

if you turn team damage off, all you get is people shooting mortars everywhere inside the bases, at the flags, and standing inside the explosions without being damaged. you get more spam from the enemy because they arent afraid of tks. and you get multiple baserapers spamming mortars on their teammates who cannot die from it.

it sounds like you pine for the base mod of t2 where the pub is one giant fireball of spam where nobody can go faster than like 160 kph. which sadly i dont agree with being a fun time.
  • Then we agree to disagree, and leave it at that. I think most modern games are junk, for appeasing the rising "10-year-old gamer" communities (not all games of course... there's plenty of good ones). You may disagree with that too.

Note to those who used profanity: This is an argument, not a flame. I mocked, but I never used profanity... resorting to profanity in argument usually means you have nothing left to argue with, or you just plain don't know how to argue. It diminishes your own argument, so I advise to keep your cool and counter with actual arguments and support, if you ever hope of having any decency or of being respected, or to even have anyone pay attention to your argument.

No matter how wrong, ridiculous, or even insulting the opponent may be, keeping your cool makes you the winner.

P.S. I've found certain maps in Goon's cause numerous errors, from Segmentation Faults, to Bad File Descriptors, to UEs, every few minutes through Wine on Linux, so they're not even playable. Oddly enough, most other mods seem to work just fine, with mainly the server crashing rather than me.
  • I just want you all to know how very hard I am laughing right now.
  • Can someone explain how simplifying/dumbing-down gameplay makes you a liberal?

I'm not sure I follow.
  • edited May 2011
    I just want you all to know how very hard I am laughing right now.

You get a cookie for that. You got the right answer! That's the idea! Way to go!
    Can someone explain how simplifying/dumbing-down gameplay makes you a liberal?

I'm not sure I follow.

In my opinion (and apparently only mine), the gameplay isn't balanced as it is. It really never was balanced, just that it used to be more balanced (base or similar) than it is right now (classic). That's why I prefer mods, because they are attempts to re-balance the game, as well as make the game much more interesting... and I mean major mods that actually add cool stuff like forcefields, more turrets, etc., not just re-balances of the original game, since the original game was very lacking. I also like cheating for the sake of fun. I am liberal because I like change, and any considerations or ideas for change.

Many people like the way things are, unbalanced, usually because they're the ones massacring others easily, and enjoying it. Those are conservatives... they don't like change, and they don't even want to consider any ideas that might change things, likely because they enjoy senseless and purposeless, one-sided slaughters. Anyone who has even slightly different ideas must be met with hostility and put in their place.

I'd like to stop arguing, because it only breeds more malevolence, or at least among these players, anyway. That's not my intent. My intent is change for the better. But, it seems no one else is really interested, so for the sake of peace, I wish to resort to silence.

Go in pieces... I mean peace.
  • I like the new thread title

You should rename it to "Tribes 2"
  • yeah tribes 2 is pretty bad with all the goons and hv/ewo/rebels holdovers running around while the black knights raid everything in their name

like i said, there's only a fraction of greatness left, and redfraction completely wrecks that analogy

First, try to get the hang of things, knowing what to do and where to be best at any one time. At the very least, try to survive. At the very most, firstly try to sacrifice yourself for the sake of your base, secondly for your flag, and thirdly for your team.

Second, try to get the most kills. Then, when you realize you can't against pros, or you've done so and see little point/fun, or you just get bored, try to have any fun you can. Do the most chaotic and ridiculous stuff you like. Enjoy... it IS supposed to be fun... that what games are supposed to be after all.

Note: The biggest problem I see is that Goon has team damage on. The unique team damage system in T2 is what makes it great, .... that is, when team damage is off. Because most weapons are ballistic or slow-moving or very inaccurate, and everyone is usually moving at very high speed and more trained than you at using these types of weapons, you're VERY likely to team-damage or team-kill a ton. Pros do so plenty, just because of the way the game is, and because people spawn or just get in the way of splash-damage weapons. Just make sure ta always say lots of "sorry!", or just one team-kill will get you kicked, maybe even banned... really, you can only hope that "sorry!" will save you.

For the pros, and Goon, I'd like to ask why team damage on? Realism? If you want realism, join the army, because all games are fantasy. Team damage on in T2 doesn't force anyone to try to be more precise and accurate, it just annoys the ones shooting because they have to hold back on chaos, destruction and damage by using the weapons with less widespread and effective damage, even if the base is being ripped to tiny shreds by 10 juggernauts, and you could easily kill them all, if the 1 or 2 scouts would get out of the way or stop spawning there.

I thought games were supposed to be fun, regardless of realism. In fact, the less realistic the game, the more fun, as long as it's relatively balanced (meaning, everything can be compensated for, as long as you choose the right weapons/tools/packs/loadouts). I find nothing fun with all that team damage on, ...quite opposite... It's almost a wonder of the world that the game hasn't failed completely because all of the senseless hate it's built up just because of team damage. The only reasons I can really think of why, is that they can't afford anything better (hardware and software), and the game is pretty unique.
    lol Man this is the best answer ever !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yeah tribes 2 is pretty bad with all the goons and hv/ewo/rebels holdovers running around while the black knights raid everything in their name

like i said, there's only a fraction of greatness left, and redfraction completely wrecks that analogy
    And you arent part of that fraction shifter.Man lol I do love how you still cry about all the old servers though just to know that they still make you feel so butt hurt brings joy to all.
  • - "A Thread for Newbie Players"
    - many newbies posting
  • :);):D ;D >:( :(:o 8) ???

TRIBES

:);):D ;D >:( :(:o 8) ???
  • if you wanna read some ridiculous read this if you can get through the first paragraph http://www.themellin.com/t2history.php. Then you will understand why anything kryand says is well crap.
  • u mad?
    far from it keep the good work there terry
  • And read this if you want to understand how much of a retard blindkilla is, and why it's amazing that he even figured out how to use a computer: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=855;sa=showPosts;start=390
  • thanks for the link krymore please do read mine and my talks with this fool.You then will understand how much a fool he and some of these LMAO so called pros are.Its a shame really not all people playing are like this twits just mostly the ones who think there the best players and hell if you actually play to have fun your a newb.Unfortunate that the new people that actually try this game quickly leave because of him and people like him.
This discussion has been closed.