Experimental RC2 Support for Linux/Wine and MacOSX/Crossover Users

2»

Comments

• wine cmd foo.bat

• Ok, but any comment on the "invalid account certificate" error message? Is it common or is it just me?
  • It's something I'll investigate.
  • This time I tried Tribes 2 on Pardus 2011, with wine version 1.3.23. This time it couldn't even get through the login screen: it says that I'm not running the patched exe. But I obviously do run that, since it clearly shows the TribesNext logo above the login panel. I have both winetricks and gecko installed...
    On the other hand, Solo&LAN works just fine. And since I can connect to a server by IP (insert key) or by marking them as favourites, even from lan game mode I can connect to servers like GoonHaven, right?
  • I tried to connect to goon haven through LAN mode, no success. It says the same thing when I try to connect: im not using the patched version... :( The solo game works just fine though...
  • I was wondering whether there would be any possible way to get tribes working through play on linux?
  • I tested the game again on wine 1.0.1, this time on Bodhilinux (Ubuntu 10.04 with E17). Now its working just fine...
  • No, I was wrong. Still getting the "invalid account certificate" problem. I think I should go to wine 1.1.11, ok, but how could I get that? It doesn't appear in the wine database. Sad. :(
  • Here I go. Wine 1.1.11 - and it freezes at the "logging in" screen. :'(
  • edited January 2013
    I have been having success running TribesNext RC2a on Arch Linux x86_64 with wine 1.5.22.

This is all I did to get the patch to work:

1. Replace the GameData/msvcrt-ruby190.dll with the 190-2 version found at [ftp=ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/ruby-1.9.0-2-i386-mswin32.zip]ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/ruby-1.9.0-2-i386-mswin32.zip[/ftp] (under the 'bin' directory)

2. Add a dll override to wine using winecfg. Add 'msvcrt' so that wine uses the native Tribes 2 MSVCRT.dll instead of the wine version.

3. Run Tribes 2 normally:
    $ wine Tribes2.exe -online

Notes:
    -Depending on your window manager, You may need to enable 'Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows' and 'Emulate a virtual desktop.'

-'Windows version' set to 'Windows 7' or 'Windows XP' both worked for me.

-This is based on a freshly created WINEPREFIX, everything is default and no winetricks are installed.

-For setting up a dedicated server on Linux, see my other post.
  • edited January 2013
    I have been having success running TribesNext RC2a on Arch Linux x86_64 with wine 1.5.22.

This is all I did to get the patch to work:

1. Replace the GameData/msvcrt-ruby190.dll with the 190-2 version found at [ftp=ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/ruby-1.9.0-2-i386-mswin32.zip]ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/unstable/ruby-1.9.0-2-i386-mswin32.zip[/ftp] (under the 'bin' directory)

2. Add a dll override to wine using winecfg. Add 'msvcrt' so that wine uses the native Tribes 2 MSVCRT.dll instead of the wine version.

3. Run Tribes 2 normally:
    $ wine Tribes2.exe -online

Notes:
    -Depending on your window manager, You may need to enable 'Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows' and 'Emulate a virtual desktop.'

-'Windows version' set to 'Windows 7' or 'Windows XP' both worked for me.

-This is based on a freshly created WINEPREFIX, everything is default and no winetricks are installed.

-For setting up a dedicated server on Linux, see my other post.

I have not been able to run Tribes 2 in WINE at all for months, any version that even allowed Ruby to work properly. It merely locked up at some point in execution however I will look into this myself momentarily.

Edit:
    On my LUbuntu 12.10 AMD64 machine, running WINE 1.5 it had indeed worked. Audio performed as it should (it did not work on the older versions of WINE you're supposed to be using it with) however I seem to be having segfaults randomly which I'm looking into now.

The problem may be related to how threading is working as shortly after the console mentions about switching from multi-threaded mode to apartment threaded mode a segfault is raised and I get a wait timed out error in lock.c.
    err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
    fixme:avifile:AVIFileExit (): stub!
    err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x3ed4d0
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    ragora@Tye:~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData$ err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7ed16b14 "lock.c: LOCKTABLEENTRY.crit" wait timed out in thread 0029, blocked by 0025, retrying (60 sec)

This occurs after a few minutes of playtime.
  • On my LUbuntu 12.10 AMD64 machine, running WINE 1.5 it had indeed worked. Audio performed as it should (it did not work on the older versions of WINE you're supposed to be using it with) however I seem to be having segfaults randomly which I'm looking into now.

The problem may be related to how threading is working as shortly after the console mentions about switching from multi-threaded mode to apartment threaded mode a segfault is raised and I get a wait timed out error in lock.c.
    err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
    ragora@Tye:~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData$ err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7ed16b14 "lock.c: LOCKTABLEENTRY.crit" wait timed out in thread 0029, blocked by 0025, retrying (60 sec)

Not sure if this will fix the issue, but try running tribes on a single processor core:
    taskset 0x00000001 wine Tribes2.exe -online

Also, is there any more log output before the output you pasted?
  • edited January 2013
    On my LUbuntu 12.10 AMD64 machine, running WINE 1.5 it had indeed worked. Audio performed as it should (it did not work on the older versions of WINE you're supposed to be using it with) however I seem to be having segfaults randomly which I'm looking into now.

Not sure if this will fix the issue, but try running tribes on a single processor core:
    taskset 0x00000001 wine Tribes2.exe -online

Also, is there any more log output before the output you pasted?

There most likely was some output beforehand that I had not checked but I am currently checking to see if your solution is working.

Edit:

With your solution, I have been able to play for several hours without an issue.
  • edited December 2013
    I was wondering whether there would be any possible way to get tribes working through play on linux?

I'm working on a POL script to do everything for you, but I'm having a few minor issues right now with it. I'll update the thread when I'm done with it.

Edit- Done http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=3300.0
  • (⌐■_■)